Dusy Ershim Trail 2024

It's time to start planning another Dusy run. Due to small places to camp  .will be limited to 6 trucks total.

1. Lutz 110
3. Don d1

Interested 
NCLR074

DIFFICULTY RATING: MOST DIFFICULT - expect body damage

Date : 9/5 TO 9/9

Agenda/Itinerary:

Thursday :  Meet up in Shaver Lake at gas station for last fuel up. All trucks must top off. After refueling Head to Voyager Rock campground 34 miles.

Friday :  Pack up camp and hit trail.Voyager Rock to top of Thompson hill campground

Saturday : Thompson to Ershim Lake campground 

Sunday : Ershim Lake to Lakecamp Lake campground

Monday :
Finnish trail head home

Overview: 
A very scenic trail that climbs to 10,000 feet at Thompson Lake, then rarely drops below 9,000 feet after that. You'll pass several excellent lakes offering good camping and fishing. Almost the entire trail passes through wilderness, which is just 300 feet on each side of the trail. Stay on designated routes at all times. Do not camp within 100 feet of lakes and streams. Carry a fire permit and fishing license if applicable. No target shooting anywhere along route. Pack out your trash. Trail is for summer use only and is approved for ATVs and dirt bikes. Make sure you have plenty of mosquito repellent in the warm summer months. Located in Sierra National Forest. 

Over ninety percent of this 30-mile trail is slow-speed rock crawling. The most difficult part of the trail is Thompson Hill (when driven uphill). It starts gradually and gets worse as you climb higher. Also very difficult are the last two miles of the trail, going south to north, as described here. Many other challenges await. The forest service recommends the trail be driven in a short-wheel-base vehicle with at least 32-inch tires and one locker. The fact is, even better equipped vehicles are seriously tested. Be prepared for breakdowns because help is a long way off. Never drive this trail by yourself. The trail can also be driven from the north starting at White Bark Vista. 

DIRECTION TO THE DUSY-ERSHIM ROUTE

Take Dinkey Creek Rd. from Hwy 168. Then take Mckinley Grove Rd. to Courtright Rd. and turn left to Courtright Reservoir. Cross the dam on the east side of the lake and stay on the road to the Dusy-Ershim OHV Route sign.

Quick List of vehicle mod req (and given your vehicle is in mechanical tip-top shape):
1) Solid recovery points both front and back,
2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,
3) Sliders and Diff Guards,
4)Front and rear lockers, HD axles
5) Upgrade rear trailer arms (D90s/D1/RRC) if applicable
6) HD bumpers
7) Winch. optional be recommended
8)Ham operator a plus.
9) 5 gal spare fuel can. you may run out without it.
10)spare parts (will discuss this as trip planning)
Edited by lutz

1 hour ago, El Chapomint said:

Wondering if stock trucks could make it to Voyager Rock campground or is the trail difficult from the start?

I took my stock 04 L322 up Chicken rock many years ago so yes it is possible .

Lutzi I am out again! the beast needs a transmission installed and I am stricken with Gout lately. eff !  Gryphon really wants to go!  planning on staying stateside next year so going to do a Death Valley run in April & the Dusy in Sept.

Edited by SLOHybrid

2 hours ago, El Chapomint said:

Wondering if stock trucks could make it to Voyager Rock campground or is the trail difficult from the start?

Yes it's no problem it's a very little bit of a rock crawling I've taken my lr3 through it . It's a great little campground

Such a great trail!  Leigh Anne and I will be away in Sept or we would be 100% in on this trip. The scenery is beautiful, one of Leigh Anne’s favorite trips.  We’ll be on the list for next year!

• 2 weeks later...

We really were hoping to make this happen this year... sadly it is just too close to the annual for me to sneak out this much. Next year we will skip the annual if we have to!

17 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

We really were hoping to make this happen this year... sadly it is just too close to the annual for me to sneak out this much. Next year we will skip the annual if we have to!

Sorry to see you Three won't make it. It's my fault mainly I did not realize how close the annual event was going to be this year. Next year I will plan accordingly a little better.

3 hours ago, lutz said:

Sorry to see you Three won't make it. It's my fault mainly I did not realize how close the annual event was going to be this year. Next year I will plan accordingly a little better.

All good, we’ll get to catch up at the annual!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, having broken another ring and pinion I'm now very questionable for this.  Already ordered new parts from Ashcroft, but not sure if I can get them here in time

Yes that would be cutting it close. As of right now I think we may have to just cancel this year . Try to start playing a little earlier and around the annual event so it makes a little easier for everything to work. Maybe check out swamp lake during the annual event for a little exploration. 

10 hours ago, SLOHybrid said:

Next year we should run the Dusy in the week & then head over to the annual on the weekend.. thoughts.. We all have trailers now if we break ha ha!

I thought this was anti Rover in spirit? (He says whilst towing another derelict rover home with a Duramax)

• lutz changed the title to Dusy Ershim Trail 2024

Update was going to cancel this but it looks like parts may be in if anybody else is interested in going please let me know as soon as possible that way we can get a headcount.

WE were just up there! went up to white bark vista and rode our mountain bikes back to huntington lake.. absolutely gorgeous up there except for the dust..  high 60's to low 70's.  should be nice.

IMG_1102.jpg

Edited by SLOHybrid