Oceano Dunes North Meets South Event

Hey everyone planning a trip to Oceano Dunes for May 14-16. Due to Covid the State park only has 100 campsites and are already sold out for the next six months on the weekends . So thinking we could camp either at Hi Mt campground or Lake Lopez . Hi Mt is about 40 mins from the dunes while Lopez is 20 . HI MT is in the national forest and is complete dry camping and should be quite while Lopez is a county campground. Let me no what everyone thinks. Now if we go midweek we could camp at the dunes.

Gps to camp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WbjLUhC_N-cAKDNXZ4uvuy71m6QX6sxN/view?usp=sharing

Interested 

Collin 

Don

Andrew 

Miles

Serge

Eric

Paul

Will

Bandykins

Trip Details (Print this)

Trip Planner: Lutz

Trail Leader: None. This is an NCLR gathering similar to the MORG @ Hollister. No trip leader. Ea person is responsible for their action and need to abide by Oceano SVRA park rules and regulations: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1215

Date/Time: MAY 14-16

Friday - Meet up at campground LOS PADRES NATIONAL FOREST ADVENTURE PASS REQUIRED.Maybe night run to lookout of Garcia ridged trail

Saturday- 9am head down for a day at Oceano dunes SVRA- they only allow 1000 day pass must be there early to secure beach access

Sunday - pack up camp

Brief Trail Description: Welcome to Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA). Formerly Pismo Dunes SVRA, this sand dune complex is geologically unique and also provides an impressive playground for off-highway enthusiasts from throughout the United States. Oceano Dunes also offers visitors other recreational activities such as swimming, surfing, surf fishing, camping, and hiking: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1207

Meeting Location: Hi Mt Campground 

Directions: From San Luis Obispo: Hwy 101, 8 miles north, Hwy 58, 3 miles east, Pozo Rd. 16 miles southeast, Forest road 30S05, 4 miles southwest. Alternate route: 10 miles northeast of Arroyo Grande Forest Service Station off Pozo-Hi Mountain Rd. Note: Forest Road 30S05 may be impassable when Salinas River is high, use alternate route as noted.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lpnf/recarea/?recid=11124

Radio Ham
146.460 NCLR
Repeaters
147.0300 127.3

Fees (yes); 5 per day , Adventure pass for camping in Los padres National forest

Vehicle Requirements: Stock Land Rovers welcomed, but best with high clearance 4x4 vehicles. Air down to the recommend psi for your tires/vehicles while on the beach; for example, I'm running 255/85/16 KMs on my D2 - going down between 10-15 psi. Also make sure your vehicle is in good working condition.

Required Safety Equipment: flag can be picked up next to the entrance to the beach, fire extinguisher

Required Recovery Equipment: Strong recovery points (front and rear)

Misc Equipment: shovel, first aid kit, repair tools (to suit your vehicle), tire gauge and tire pump.

Weather Forecast and Trail Conditions: mostly sunny; windy highs in the 60s lows in the 40s at night.

Expected Trail conditions: Will check as we get closer to the date.

Clothing Suggestions: warm weather but bring layers as it gets cold at night.

Property Information
Oceano SVRA Ranger Station
928 Pacific Blvd.
Oceano CA
805-773-7170
Call 911 for emergencies

Entrance to the Park
100 Pier Ave.
Oceano, CA

Nearby Towing and Repair Services info: Kautz Towing (805) 489-2336

Gas/Service Station Locations in the area: several especially on Grand Ave

Other Info:
Bring your camera and extra batteries, tent/sleeping bag if camping, extra garbage bags, sunscreen, GPS Unit optional certainly map of the area and compass, drinking water (primitive camp - no drinking water avail), nights might be cold - bring extra blanket and warm clothing/fire wood, Full size spare/repair kit.

post-448-0-55146900-1615752364_thumb.jpg

post-448-0-91177000-1615752434_thumb.jpg

Edited by lutz

I've got on my calendar. The way things are going this may be one of the last times we will be able to camp and drive around at this beach.

Let's hope not! I still want to believe common sense and science will prevail, but alas, many a time have I gambled on the intelligence of the masses and lost.

Let's hope not! I still want to believe common sense and science will prevail, but alas, many a time have I gambled on the intelligence of the masses and lost.

There are people driving alone in their cars right now wearing 3 masks. I have no faith in common sense or science

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

just heard the costal commission voted to shut down the dunes within 3 yrs...

hopefully that's not the final word.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

There will be various lawsuites filed and it will likely drag out for some time yet, but I expect in the end CCC will win because California.  

(it pains me to say this as I really hate it when people trash talk the state but some things are just out of hand)

There will be various lawsuites filed and it will likely drag out for some time yet, but I expect in the end CCC will win because California.

(it pains me to say this as I really hate it when people trash talk the state but some things are just out of hand)

Pray for a successful recall of Newsom! If somebody beats him, they will certainly be less “progressive” and that can only help these types of issues

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to try to make this one. I have never been to Pismo and it doesn’t seem like I can afford to keep putting it off. Plus, I don’t think there could be a better way of experiencing it than along side Lutzi!

• 2 weeks later...