May need a new water pump: 04 D2

LandRonB

Hello Folks,

Anyone with experience w/the Atlantic British's water pump for $79.95 vs OEM $149.95: Engine Cooling - Water Pumps, For Discovery Series II (roverparts.com)   I bought parts from AB before but not their branded water pump.  It's for my 04 D2.

I have to check it out closer tomorrow when there's day light; it could also be the thermostat and leaky hoses.  I got back from a short drive tonight, saw coolant leaking dripping under the drive belt area, and suspect it might be the water pump.  

Thanks!

Don, thanks for the suggestions.

Paul, thank you for the offer.   I had good intension of checking out the leak yesterday or today, but work got in the work. 

Let me check out what's causing the leak; if turns out to be the water pump, I will let you know.  

And I used to have a 1990 RRC (now sold) and I might still have some left over parts; let me dig in the garage and if I have anything you may need, glad to pay forward parts for the generous offer.  Thanks again!

Don, thanks for the suggestions.

Paul, thank you for the offer.   I had good intension of checking out the leak yesterday or today, but work got in the work. 

Let me check out what's causing the leak; if turns out to be the water pump, I will let you know.  

And I used to have a 1990 RRC (now sold) and I might still have some left over parts; let me dig in the garage and if I have anything you may need, glad to pay forward parts for the generous offer.  Thanks again!

you mean this Rover Ron :P

post-511-0-33426800-1613069508_thumb.jpg

Ha, I replaced the water pump on "that" Rover last year... Need to replace the OG tires though. Pretty sure Ron rolled through the Rubicon on them ;)

1bb7abdd349b6ca4eae5898701b58a6f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Holy crap - I thought you had new tires on that thing for Dusy?  If you're still on Ron's old tires they must be BridgeSTONES by now!

Holy crap - I thought you had new tires on that thing for Dusy?  If you're still on Ron's old tires they must be BridgeSTONES by now!

Noooooope. But they are pretty much treadless rocks. 2020 is the year of the shoe.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem turned out to be a timing chain cover gasket leak.  Sucks!  I didn't want to take any chances so I had it towed to a friend's shop.

A friend mechanic took care of the repair plus while at it I asked to put a new timing chain cover (aka oil pump).  

Anyways, fast forward from a week ago, I have the D2 back and now ready for the snow!

I am thinking Lost Coast in the Spring: Lost Coast Trail | Bureau of Land Management (blm.gov)

Edited by LandRonB