Sequoia NF & Kings Canyon Trip (late July/early August)

I've been thinking of doing an overland trip through the Sequoia NF. There are many trails (easy to moderate in difficulty) and landmarks that make this area fun for everyone. 

Trip Plan (subject to change - subscribe thread to stay current):

• When: August 16 - 18 (Friday to Sunday). 
  • 3 days trip - Friday to Sunday. We'll start from Shaver Lake, and through forest roads, make our way south towards Buck Rock Lookout point. If there is enough interest, would consider extending to 4 days. 

• Day 1: Shaver Lake to campsite (30mi). Given the 4hrs+ drive from bay area, this leg to campsite will be short & straight forward. This will gives folks plenty of time to get to campground before dark, set camp and relax a bit. There is a gas station at Shaver Lake, so you can gas up for the weekend here. Most of this section is paved before getting onto forest roads. Along the way, we will drive past the McKinley Grove, and we can stop here for a quick break and wander amongst the giants. After this stop, the forest road will take us to 1st camp at Sawmill Flat CG with 15 campsites. We will make camp here the first night.

• Day 2: Sawmill Flat to Big Meadow CG (80mi). We will continue south on forest roads. Depending on timing, we can break along the Kings River at Mill Flat CG. We will continue south until we hit RT180 (paved road). We will make a left continuing on RT180 into Sequoia National Park (bring your National Park Pass if you have it).  We will stop at the Grant Grove Village (visitor center, convenient shop & restrooms), followed by a stop to see the General Grant Tree.
    After this stop, we’ll continue north for approx.. 10mi to Hume Lake, where folks can gas up. Then we head south again towards Big Meadow CG area, find a nice patch of dirt and set camp for the evening.

• Day 3: From Big Meadow CG, we will take a longer route over to Buck Rock lookout.  For those up to it, we’ll hike (stairs) up to the look out, chat with the ranger staying there and learn about the area. After this, we can explore the area some more, find a spot for lunch before making the trip back to South Bay (~220 miles/4hrs+)

post-999-0-98522100-1559464685_thumb.png

OK... post up if you're interested in going! 

And... this makes my 800th post. 

Edited by lithium1330

I love that area and haven't really explored it.  Timing could be tight with our other travel this year but it would give me a reason to stretch the LR3's legs a bit....  Call Michele and I tentative.

FWIW I'm out of town July 17-24, and will likely be doing a lot of catch-up from that trip immediately following so I'm probably out unless you are more in the August instead of July time frame.  However, do not build the trip around my needs - I'm only tentative at best anyway.

Sounds interesting. I’m committed to a family camping trip in the last weekend in July but could make an August trip. I will also need to work around school day timing and could meet up with the group as required.

Again, don’t make plans around my schedule.

Edit - I just found out that the kids will still be in holiday and so I’m good for a three day trip.

Edited by RobertDingli

I'm out the last two weeks in July. But at this point August looks very empty :)

I expect all the snow will be gone by then. We actually had to turn back this weekend due to snow levels up in Tahoe National Forest... Snowflake had a blast though.

• 3 weeks later...

Good for you Chris!

Interested, but mid-August is preferred...!

Looks like primarily fire roads?

--Paul

• 3 weeks later...