SRS - Malakoff Diggins - Humbug Day June 8th(gaining interest)

Thinking ahead for the summer, be good to get some Social Events on the Calender.  June 8th is Humbug Day and this event has lots of options to add to the specific festival. Leaving from Nevada City we can take dirt roads all the way into the park.  There is also normal paved roads that get you there too.

This event begins at 11am and the water monitor is usually activated around noon. There's great hiking there, fishing at the lake on site and plenty of camping.  Since a lot of people could potentially come from a good distance it might be a great camping trip.  Centrally located with lots to explore around the area.

One of the things I really enjoyed when we went was a hike down the Yuba River to Spring Creek Falls, gorgeous place that crystal clear blue/green water that the waterfall dumps right into the river.

Given the winter we are having the forest roads may be closed, so I'll put this up as a place holder and see what interest we get and start from there.

Here's a link to the park site for more information: http://malakoffdigginsstatepark.org/school-programs/special-events/park-events/

• 2 weeks later...

If the trails are open, stock D2 or modified?

My intent is stock vehicle and the social rover Saturday/Sunday (srs) are intended for the whole family.

I don’t plan to camp but there’s a lot to see and great camping. So we can have off shoot events for those interested in doing more driving and camping.

I’ll have my stock lr4, plan to hike around and enjoy the event. Possibly fishing or exploring the river.

Ideally we would meet in Rocklin near bass pro and then caravan up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All right!!

Time to update the plans and get this trip moving!

Plan is to meet at the Sierra Crossings Starbucks in Rocklin where bass pro shops is on the morning of June 8th at 930-10am.

We will plan to leave there around 1015am, getting us into the park around 1145-12pm.

The road is primarily paved until we cross the Yuba river and then it's well maintained dirt road, this is suitable for any Land Rover.

I plan to spend the afternoon in the park at the festival and the lake there letting my kids pan for gold and fish.

There's lots to explore around the area and a great camping location just past the river that we go right by plus camping inside Malakoff diggins too.

So for those coming from a far feel free to coordinate something.

Also many different dirt road tracks to check out in and around the park, so depending on folks interest we can break off into those groups that want to continue driving versus enjoying the festival.

For those into hiking, a really cool trail on the north side of the Yuba that heads west takes you to Spring Creek falls a neat waterfall that is right into the river.

We plan to make this a MORG and SRS, so we can adjust and accommodate plans as needed based on attendees.

Please feel to contact me with any specific questions!

a7355b50f5fe00041a9c22fa5c60397d.jpg

3a6b5e29d8c5a5115f00aea458c9b367.jpg

616982ccaa9f49333d818383c7a40bd9.jpg

Edited by Jethro

I have not been there since Leigh led us up and around through Allegheny.

Will have to look at the calendar

Was that the same trip in Alleghany snow blocked the road and we had to double back?

I’ll probably be behind caravan by 15’. 146.460 for communications?

Yes I will have my hand held so can do simplex for caravan.

We are planning on leaving and heading up today with a South Bay departure of 6:30-7:30PM. Our radio will be on.

Camping in the state park Friday night, then we will head into the National Forest and find a dispersed site for Saturday night. 

Okay I'll start pinging you guys on the radio after we cross the river... but targeting 1130-12.

We had a great time Saturday with six rovers in attendance and lots of kids came along too.

Here’s some of the pictures I took.

b469eefad59bd6cbb6bd386d38716e16.jpg

5a7fe90abe784bd39c3ce44bb9895020.jpge3d80ed0a4db0c5d8bd606253fb3190a.jpg

f1bc399742f2ad7c6a89f1ac35e29bd9.jpgd2acb6597c6b9936fd873e439daceacb.jpg

96b51f6f2b4a011cac429b3761cf7418.jpg

b06dccf9ba442164a36e1ebe16f8b59c.jpg

6bd1b6198cdc7a5230bffcf92b6ba47e.jpg

Humbug Day was a blast. We drove up from the South Bay and arrived at Malakoff Diggins Chute Hill Campground around midnight.

The next morning we woke up packed up camp and drove back into North Bloomfield for Humbug Day.

Having not been before we had a great time learning about hydraulic mining, the people that lived there, and ultimately the first California environmental law that shut the operations down.

By this time El ChapoMint arrived and we headed on our way to Bowman Lake.

The weather was great except for the wind!

Sunday morning we started out and planned to drove South to Highway 20, unfortunately the dam floodgates were open and the overflow was running down the spillway making passage impossible.

We then tried our luck crossing to the east aiming to get to Jackson Meadows Reservoir and then exit through Truckee.... But we were blocked at 6500 feet by snow. The winch and the strap came out to play.

We then backtracked all the way back tthrough Malakoff Diggins to highway 20 and drove home.

All in all an excellent way to spend a weekend.

f56da958337aa959a819803b11c502c2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk