Annual Event Oct 8-10

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks like I am going to be able to make it last min! Going to drag the CT110 out and shake down the new gears/tires. Not sure which day yet. Is everyone going to hang around for a full day sunday?

That would be great; there will be 3 CT110 there (plus what you will be driving); try and make it for Saturday a.m. for the wheeling and then stay for the dinner/raffle Saturday p.m. On Sunday, most folks leave by noon to get ready for work the next day but I am sure there will be stragglers staying longer.

I have secured an LCD projector that a friend will let me borrow. Is there power on the stage, or would it need a generator?

Awesome! There is power avail in the stage area for our event (see pic 1). Need a 50 ft ext cord.

I don't think the projector screen (can someonen confirm this) is provided by Hollister SVRA; otherwise, can someone a king size white bed sheet.

If Nigel brings his generator, we could run the projector independent from the stage. Perhaps circle around the firepit, bring your favorite beverage, folding camp chair, blanket, and fire up the projector; need to hang the bed sheet high-enough on someone truck.

I will donate a 3-4 pound of snacks to pass around while watching movies/slide show (pic 2).

Be great to show our Oregon, Dusy Ershim, etc... trips.

And since we have 3 CT110 coming (Lateapex, me, and our newest member Chris Solis and his newly purchsed CT110) I will bring a copy of the Camel Trophy Land Rover years DVD during intermission - goes well with snacks, beer or soda and camp fire. Lol.

I was thinking it might be fun to do a little mini-event like the Expedition Trophy event that was put on two weeks ago there by the Overland Journal/Expedition Portal. Basically, they set up some gates through the new obstacle course which consisted of a length of PVC pipe inserted into the ground with a golf ball sitting on top. The goal was to negotiate the course in the fastest time possible without hitting any gates and knocking the golf ball off, which would cost you points. After completion of the course you were issued a set of GPS coordinates to which you had to navigate and then sign in on the clipboard located there, then make it back to camp. The second stage had to be run in 10 minutes or less.

This (or something like it) would be very easy to set up and run, and would be a lot of fun. Even though it's short notice, I think we could still do it if there's enough interest. Might have to get creative without the gates they used though, it would take a little time and money to buy the rebar, PVC and golf balls and make up some sets.

I was thinking it might be fun to do a little mini-event like the Expedition Trophy event that was put on two weeks ago there by the Overland Journal/Expedition Portal. Basically, they set up some gates through the new obstacle course which consisted of a length of PVC pipe inserted into the ground with a golf ball sitting on top. The goal was to negotiate the course in the fastest time possible without hitting any gates and knocking the golf ball off, which would cost you points. After completion of the course you were issued a set of GPS coordinates to which you had to navigate and then sign in on the clipboard located there, then make it back to camp. The second stage had to be run in 10 minutes or less.

This (or something like it) would be very easy to set up and run, and would be a lot of fun. Even though it's short notice, I think we could still do it if there's enough interest. Might have to get creative without the gates they used though, it would take a little time and money to buy the rebar, PVC and golf balls and make up some sets.

I attended a Mudd n Yer Eye event heald by the mountain transit authority a couple years ago in my RRC. They held a similar mini event in the obsticale course, but they placed a gallon size mixing cup of water filled to the rim on the center of your hood. points where lost for every fluid ounce lost. It was alot more challenging than it seemed.. one rough drop off a rock, and you where out of contention

i have an idea that entails virtually no additional equipment because we're already bringing everything and it's already part of the day's events.

offroading as usual

drinks as usual

dinner as usual

drinks as usual

[note those last 3 are the key]

contestants are seated by the camp fire as usual - see i told you it's the same

once enrique starts pole dancing, you're disqualified if you...

- shut your eyes in terror

- scream out loud begging for him to stop

- throw up

- are compelled to throw dollar bills

- as the person sitting next to you to run you over in their Rover

i have an idea that entails virtually no additional equipment because we're already bringing everything and it's already part of the day's events.

offroading as usual

drinks as usual

dinner as usual

drinks as usual

[note those last 3 are the key]

contestants are seated by the camp fire as usual - see i told you it's the same

once enrique starts pole dancing, you're disqualified if you...

- shut your eyes in terror

- scream out loud begging for him to stop

- throw up

- are compelled to throw dollar bills

- as the person sitting next to you to run you over in their Rover

LOL. You guys are relentless :) That was last year and poor Enrique is still hearing about the masked "luchador" dance. But I guess it comes to prove that LASTING memories are always made at our gatherings :) Wether we want them to last or not !!!!!!!

I attended a Mudd n Yer Eye event heald by the mountain transit authority a couple years ago in my RRC. They held a similar mini event in the obsticale course, but they placed a gallon size mixing cup of water filled to the rim on the center of your hood. points where lost for every fluid ounce lost. It was alot more challenging than it seemed.. one rough drop off a rock, and you where out of contention

That sounds like fun...but sort of the opposite of what we did a couple weeks ago. The way I went around the course would have sent that mixing cup flying halfway across the park at the first set of whoop-de-doos...!

I can donate 18 pieces of orange 1 1/2" CPVC pipe by 15 feet long which can be cut up. Golf balls will sit on end no problem! Just let me know if you want the pipe...

1-1/2" sounds a little big, sure a golf ball wouldn't fall right in? I think they used something like 3/4". But the price is right, we could just step up to tennis balls. 15-footers sounds a bit on the long side for easy transport, you wanna cut 'em in half before bringing them, or if you can handle them okay I'll just bring a sawzall and hack 'em up right there on the spot.

What they did was to hammer a piece of rebar into the ground and just set the PVC over it, no way we're gonna be able to hammer a piece of PVC into that rock-hard ground...! So, we'd need some chunks of rebar too.

Or is this just sort of a pipe dream to think that we could put this together on such short notice? I think it's doable with enough help. What does everyone else think? It's too late to come up with decent prizes (unless we swiped them from the raffle!) but we could have certificates or something for this first go-round...

...1-1/2" sounds a little big, sure a golf ball wouldn't fall right in?

I checked the golf ball and they sit on top of the pipe OK. As far as rebar or some other internal support, I'm not so sure about that. I can cut the pipes down to 7'-6" but I just want too make sure that they are worth bringing...

Ha ha, fixed it for you... I got food to eat that's already paid for so I'll be there Saturday at least, $100 gas bill for $25 in food must be the company there that's worth it...

well, you can tell yourself that....

Archived