Rovicon V!! Aug 25th - 27th

4 hours ago, SplurGn said:

Anyone want to caravan from the Bay Area?    Do you all typically leave Thursday night, or Friday morning?  

Ideally, you come up Thursday when you can, camp and take in the incredible scenery...then we start running groups Friday morning.

If you can't make that work, just let us know when you'll be arriving so we have a group for you to run with on Friday.  

If we have enough interest, could do a run down to Uncle Tom's on Thursday night.

How much were the hats this year??

JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING Eric, they look sharp. Nice work on the swag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is set-off 7 am on Friday 8/25/23 and is it from the Loon Lake Staging area?

I'm not ready to participate this year, but I'm looking to come watch folks heading out.

PS Sorry if I've missed these details posted elsewhere

Is set-off 7 am on Friday 8/25/23 and is it from the Loon Lake Staging area?
I'm not ready to participate this year, but I'm looking to come watch folks heading out.
PS Sorry if I've missed these details posted elsewhere

You are right, first leaves around 7/8 and last is around 2ish.

We camp Thursday night so welcome to come out Thursday night and hangout for both days.

We have lots of details on rovicon.org and always here to answer questions!!

5 hours ago, ment1610 said:

Many thanks. Don;t think I'll be able to make it until Friday morning, but in case I can get out on Thursday, which camp ground are people staying at?

We disperse camp right on the trail, about 500 yards from the Rubicon Trail Foundation Kiosk.  So can drive into us as it's a short run or you can park at the staging area and walk over.

On Friday however, we begin heading down the trail from 8am until 2pm so get there early if you want to see us head out.  

Still openings if your rig meets the requirements,  but sign up soon as we'll be building the groups this week.

2 hours ago, Valentin Solinap said:

Im coming from ventura county and be leaving Thursday morning hopping to get to loom lake in the afternoon, we’re is registration area? or we’re can I camp for Thursday afternoon 

In past years the registration will be at camping area just make sure you have already sign up online . So far for me is to drop off the trailer at the end of trail {Tahoma} Thursday  and make it to camp Late afternoon. Is anyone else dropping off a trailer ? Also do we need extra propane for campfires?

to camp Rovicon.kmz

Edited by lutz
update

2 hours ago, Valentin Solinap said:

Im coming from ventura county and be leaving Thursday morning hopping to get to loom lake in the afternoon, we’re is registration area? or we’re can I camp for Thursday afternoon 

Hi Valentine,

Looking forward to seeing you up there and thank for registering to come!

We'll be meeting everyone at the loon Lake spill way.

loon lake.jpeg

Here's a description of where we'll be camping and the registration table. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

camping spot.jpeg

31 minutes ago, lutz said:

In past years the registration will be at camping area just make sure you have already sign up online . So far for me is to drop off the trailer at the end of trail {Tahoma} Thursday  and make it to camp Late afternoon. Is anyone else dropping off a trailer ? Also do we need extra propane for campfires?

to camp Rovicon.kmz 921 B · 1 download

I don't have a propane pit, but they are always nice to have!  I'm leaving a car at the Tahoe side and driving back around too.

I plan to head out Thursday afternoon. Not later than 4 (hopefully), maybe earlier.

Will probably get to camping site after dark.  Will follow Lutz’s trail map.

Do I need to do any registration at Loon trailhead, or just drive to camp?

On 8/7/2023 at 3:49 PM, SplurGn said:

Anyone want to caravan from the Bay Area?    Do you all typically leave Thursday night, or Friday morning?  

When do you plan to leave? If the timing is right (I plan to leave Thursday afternoon), I’ll be happy to meet up where convenient!

Edited by SDS

On 8/12/2023 at 7:38 PM, Jethro said:

You are right, first leaves around 7/8 and last is around 2ish.

We camp Thursday night so welcome to come out Thursday night and hangout for both days.

We have lots of details on rovicon.org and always here to answer questions!!

If it's all the same, I would prefer to go with an earlier group. I function better in the morning :)

Don and I decided we want to run the Rubicon back to Loon Lake from the Springs. In previous years we have just run the trail from west to east, Loon to the Tahoe side, but have always planned on incorporating an optional run back to Loon Lake for folks trailering. Plus it’s like running a whole new trail if you haven’t done it before. I especially enjoy running Big Sluice uphill instead of our typical downhill descent. Our plan will be to split it into another 2 days and head home on Monday. 

So the plan will remain the same as far as Friday and Saturday. Sunday morning we will still be running the traditional trail run up Cadillac and to the Tahoe staging area like we have in previous years. 
For those who are trailering or anybody who would like to run it back to Loon Lake, we will lead an optional group run heading back the way we came and running the trail “backwards” relative to how we have been running it. 

At this point we aren’t sure how many trucks will want to come, so we aren’t get ahead of ourselves on the specific plans as far as camp and exact parts of the trail we want to do on each day. We will figure it out once we have a better understanding of who would be coming with.

So please reply on the thread if you think you’d be running this option with us. We don’t need to know in advance though, so you’re welcome to just figure it out up there and decide on the fly. Feel free to DM myself or Don with any questions or concerns.

I plan to head out Thursday afternoon. Not later than 4 (hopefully), maybe earlier.
Will probably get to camping site after dark.  Will follow Lutz’s trail map.
Do I need to do any registration at Loon trailhead, or just drive to camp?

I shared maps from prior years on exact location.

Nothing to reserve, we'll keep an eye out for your headlights.

30 minutes ago, Jethro said:

I shared maps from prior years on exact location.

Nothing to reserve, we'll keep an eye out for your headlights.

Sounds good 👍 

Looking forward to it!