AUGUST 2022 Morg - Niagra Rim Trail (Aug 6&7)

Hey everybody - 

This month's MORG will be at the Niagra Rim Trail near Sonora, CA.  Please let me know if you are interested.  

Location is on Hwy 108 up past Strawberry / Pinecrest and Bumblebee - rating is difficult.  Time - should be around 3 hours.  https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/niagara-rim/

All obstacles can be bypassed except "Hard Brake Hill".    Minimum Requirements 32" Tires & locker preferred.  

Recommendations for camping would be great - i have not been up here before - there is one place I found - https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stanislaus/recarea/?recid=15043 that is a first come, first serve type location.  

Very open for feedback.....  

Thank you,

Serge aka SplurGn 

These guys do a pretty good description of the trail - 

Edited by SplurGn

Count me in!

I've been eyballing Donnell lake and the ohv up there, probably is Niagra creek ohv. (Niagra rim is somewhere north). I'd probably scout this area before/after the trip. 

Its a ways off, but beardsley lake is beautiful, power boatable, but smaller camp ground. Caught a 14" brook trout at 2:30 in the afternoon just floating a worm throwing sticks for the dog. Gas is just down the road, but wasn't open at 5pm on a Sunday, bathroom break?

I tried to get to Sand Bar 9. It's ten miles down ohv trail from the nearest campground at the end of the pavement. Another nice hosted campground. Lots of OHV trails lead out from here, if SPI didn't just permanently close their lands (I might have gate codes that still work🤣), they used to offer permits for camping on their land, and it would be possible to drive up to the Dardenelles and Slick Rock. I was looking for a place to ride down the long ridge on my mountain board and with the dogs when I found all this stuff.

I got about a mile down the trail in my Civic coupe loaded up with too much gear before I was forced to turn around due to passenger and dogs, though it looks awesome on Google maps. Little resivoir and a bridge that looks like good jumping or tying a raft off to. 

The trail I was on has potential for some serious fun. Either because is an old overgrown narrow railroad log road or because of all the springs making washouts/falling rocks. The offshoots who knows! 

Edited by So...Yoder

I may have to cancel. Misfire 4&6 came back. Gotta go through the motions and figure what it is. Just did plugs wires, but didn't do the coils. PO had the left cat clog and replaced it, original still on the right side, and it's had rpms creep down after holding steady... Could be easier than internal stuff at least!

Hey everyone - really looking forward to this trip this Saturday.   Let's plan to meet at the trailhead by 9:30 am/ 10 am.  From what I read the trail takes about 3 hours or so.  So, if we factor in 4-5 hours, we should have time to make it to camp before it gets dark.

Gabriel mentioned that Lost Lake West & East have some nice camping spots (see below) - so, let me know - I have not been up here before - so, I am looking for all the guidance/suggestions you may have.  

If you are coming - please text me at 925-518-3902 by Friday - so we can coordinate - and set up a group text thread.  I am going to be in Arnold on Friday - so I will stop by the local distillery and pick up a bottle or two of their fine bourbon for the campfire.  

Again - looking forward to the trail and seeing everyone this weekend.

Thanks,

Serge "SplurGn" 

PHOTO-2022-07-24-21-05-57.jpg

Hey everyone - really looking forward to this trip this Saturday.   Let's plan to meet at the trailhead by 9:30 am/ 10 am.  From what I read the trail takes about 3 hours or so.  So, if we factor in 4-5 hours, we should have time to make it to camp before it gets dark.
Gabriel mentioned that Lost Lake West & East have some nice camping spots (see below) - so, let me know - I have not been up here before - so, I am looking for all the guidance/suggestions you may have.  
If you are coming - please text me at 925-518-3902 by Friday - so we can coordinate - and set up a group text thread.  I am going to be in Arnold on Friday - so I will stop by the local distillery and pick up a bottle or two of their fine bourbon for the campfire.  
Thanks,
Serge "SplurGn" 
http://content.invisioncic.com/j299939/monthly_2022_08/PHOTO-2022-07-24-21-05-57.thumb.jpg.4406028edfadede415320fb88ac054f7.jpg

I can maybe head straight to Lost Lakes and secure camping spots if you want. Weekends see more activity there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, pilotgabe said:

I can maybe head straight to Lost Lakes and secure camping spots if you want. Weekends see more activity there.

Does this make them the found lakes? :)

have fun everyone!

That would be really, really amazing if you could! . I will have a bottle with your name on it!

On 8/1/2022 at 9:20 PM, SplurGn said:

Thanks,

Serge "SplurGn" 

PHOTO-2022-07-24-21-05-57.jpg

These look like nice camping spots! I just wanted to confirm that we will be able to make it there after the trail in a reasonable time. If I am not mistaken, the trail is a bit south of 108, and the Lost Lakes are south of 88. That's quite far given that there are no highways between the big roads.

9 hours ago, SDS said:

These look like nice camping spots! I just wanted to confirm that we will be able to make it there after the trail in a reasonable time. If I am not mistaken, the trail is a bit south of 108, and the Lost Lakes are south of 88. That's quite far given that there are no highways between the big roads.

You make a very good point - the drive looks to be three hours from the trail - I don't think that would be the best plan......  

My apologies - as mentioned before - its my first time up in that area.

In looking at a map - there is the Niagra Campground, Mill Creek Campground, Cascade Campground, or, dispersed camping by Donnell Lake?  

We can decide the morning of, if everyone is cool with that.  I will reach out to @pilotgabe to ensure he doesn't have to hold down a spot for us - although - it looks like a good place to go on another trip.  

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 8.21.56 PM.png

13 hours ago, SplurGn said:

You make a very good point - the drive looks to be three hours from the trail - I don't think that would be the best plan......  

My apologies - as mentioned before - its my first time up in that area.

In looking at a map - there is the Niagra Campground, Mill Creek Campground, Cascade Campground, or, dispersed camping by Donnell Lake?  

We can decide the morning of, if everyone is cool with that.  I will reach out to @pilotgabe to ensure he doesn't have to hold down a spot for us - although - it looks like a good place to go on another trip.  

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 8.21.56 PM.png

Deciding the morning of sounds good to me. I am not familiar with camping there either.

Maybe someone who is will chime in between now and then 😉

Edited by SDS

Trip went really great!  We had a really good group, it was a pleasure to wheel with both @SDS and @LR4HD.   Nobody died, nobody rolled, did not need to use any recovery equipment.  There was an incredible amount of trail walking that day, so we definitely got our steps in.  Big shout out to Daniel (Sasha's son) and Ron (my copilot) for doing the majority of the spotting for the day. They did a great job!  

The trail was very steep, in a lot of places.  There were a bunch of puckering moments - but our vehicles overcame them will relative ease.  David had his 2011 LR4 with HD package and Sasha has a 2005 LR3 with the HD package, and I took my 1985 90.  

We bypassed the following obstacles: (three of eight) 

Sidewall Suicide - because there was some risk of tire cutting from the lava rocks

Lion's Butt - had a mini "Moab" feel (we scoped it out - walked it).  There was a lot of loose shale, and as capable as our rigs were, I was not comfortable attempting the lines, because I was not confident in which direction to go. There was no one else there - so, we couldn't see the best options to take.  Plus, I had Gustav's famous "Hey look ma - we are all grown up now" Moab pic in the back of my mind...

Rock Pile - which is like a mini "Little Sluice Box" from the Rubicon Trail - we drove past it - and it there were a bunch of buggies on 40's+ crawling around them and having fun.

After a wrong turn which led us into an enchanted forest, we stopped at Double Dome Rock for some nice pics - and then headed back to camp. 

All in all, a great trip.  Taking our time was our best friend up there - we didn't rush into anything, no body damage, just some slight pinstriping, but everyone made it home ok.

4D0E77A6-8A72-4561-BC43-5D08331B89E0.JPG

Edited by SplurGn
accidentally posted without finishing

Thank you Serge for organizing the trip and for describing it in both podcast and here. Your laid back "let's take out time" attitude was much appreciated. I enjoyed your's and Ron's company a lot.

It was also great to meet David and his daughter Sierra. Hope to see them again in future outings.

I don't have much to add to Serge's description of the trip. "Lost in lion's butt" does come to mind though 🙂