Dusy Ershim 4x4 Trail 2019

Return to the Dusy Ershim . Due to difficulty and time we will only have 5 trucks per group .

Going 

1 Lutz 110 

2 Tammy p38

Don D1

4 Andrew D2

5 Miles and Theresa RRC

Interested 

Daniel K D90

Ham repeater

146.820- 141.3 / KE6JZ Shaver Lake 

Ham NCLR 146.460

DIFFICULTY RATING: MOST DIFFICULT - expect body damage

Date : September 5-9

Agenda/Itinerary: Will try and make it out Sunday but expect getting out Monday just in case

Thursday :
Meet up in Shaver lake at gas station for last fuel up.All trucks must top off. After refueling Head to Voyager Rock campground 34 miles.

Friday:
Pack up camp hit the trail.Voyager Rock to Thompson Lake 

Saturday:
Thompson Lake to Ershim Lake 

Sunday:
Ershim Lake to Lakecamp Lake

Monday:
Finnish trail head home

Overview: 
A very scenic trail that climbs to 10,000 feet at Thompson Lake, then rarely drops below 9,000 feet after that. You'll pass several excellent lakes offering good camping and fishing. Almost the entire trail passes through wilderness, which is just 300 feet on each side of the trail. Stay on designated routes at all times. Do not camp within 100 feet of lakes and streams. Carry a fire permit and fishing license if applicable. No target shooting anywhere along route. Pack out your trash. Trail is for summer use only and is approved for ATVs and dirt bikes. Make sure you have plenty of mosquito repellent in the warm summer months. Located in Sierra National Forest. 

Over ninety percent of this 30-mile trail is slow-speed rock crawling. The most difficult part of the trail is Thompson Hill (when driven uphill). It starts gradually and gets worse as you climb higher. Also very difficult are the last two miles of the trail, going south to north, as described here. Many other challenges await. The forest service recommends the trail be driven in a short-wheel-base vehicle with at least 32-inch tires and one locker. The fact is, even better equipped vehicles are seriously tested. Be prepared for breakdowns because help is a long way off. Never drive this trail by yourself. The trail can also be driven from the north starting at White Bark Vista. 

DIRECTION TO THE DUSY-ERSHIM ROUTE

Take Dinkey Creek Rd. from Hwy 168. Then take Mckinley Grove Rd. to Courtright Rd. and turn left to Courtright Reservoir. Cross the dam on the east side of the lake and stay on the road to the Dusy-Ershim OHV Route sign.

Quick List of vehicle mod req (and given your vehicle is in mechanical tip-top shape):
1) Solid recovery points both front and back,
2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,
3) Sliders and Diff Guards,
4)Front and rear lockers, HD axles
5) Upgrade rear trailer arms (D90s/D1/RRC) if applicable
6) HD bumpers
7) Winch. optional be recommended
8)Ham operator a plus.
9) 5 gal spare fuel can. you may run out without it.
10)spare parts (will discuss this as trip planning)

More pic's

post-448-0-77812200-1547253678_thumb.jpg

Edited by lutz

Those photos are awesome. Looks like it will be a classic trip. What time of year was the trip where you got the snow?

I would be thrilled to make it this year, but I don't think the our currently unarmored... 110 would be up for it. 

Those photos are awesome. Looks like it will be a classic trip. What time of year was the trip where you got the snow?

I would be thrilled to make it this year, but I don't think the our currently unarmored... 110 would be up for it. 

That was late September .

I would love to join but I’m worried about the most difficult rating. I should have underbody protection by then but will be limited by the tires I have fitted.

Can I do this on 31s?

If not, I’ll try to hitch a ride with someone else.

I would love to join but I’m worried about the most difficult rating. I should have underbody protection by then but will be limited by the tires I have fitted.

Can I do this on 31s?

If not, I’ll try to hitch a ride with someone else.

I would not do it on 31 even 33s its vary challenging.This trail is like the Rubicon but twice as long. expect body damage.

Edited by lutz

This could potentially work out, need to study the calendar to make sure I’m home in time but like to think I can make it.

Appreciate you getting this going Lutz!!

We need to get the threads started for the Rubicon and Fordyce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not do it on 31 even 33s its vary challenging.This trail is like the Rubicon but twice as long. expect body damage.

Thanks for the guidance. I’m definitely interested in being a passenger if anyone has a spare seat. I really enjoyed doing part of the Rubicon with Eric a few months ago even though I wasn’t in the driver’s seat.

This could potentially work out, need to study the calendar to make sure I’m home in time but like to think I can make it.

Appreciate you getting this going Lutz!!

We need to get the threads started for the Rubicon and Fordyce.

The Holy Trinity of NoCal wheeling!

Thanks for the guidance. I’m definitely interested in being a passenger if anyone has a spare seat. I really enjoyed doing part of the Rubicon with Eric a few months ago even though I wasn’t in the driver’s seat.

Michele seldom does hard core trails with me so there's a pretty good chance I'll have an open seat.  You will have to scale down the packing from your normal fully-kitted RR to fit in my rig though!

Edited by DHappel

Michele seldom does hard core trails with me so there's a pretty good chance I'll have an open seat. You will have to scale down the packing from your normal fully-kitted RR to fit in my rig though!

Thanks Don. I would love to join you and don’t worry, I can travel light. I’ll put it in my calendar as I’m sure I’ll find a spare seat with you or someone else.

I have three sets of camping kit for various situations. The ‘intermediate’ RR + RTT setup that you have seen many times, the ‘full’ RR + Winnebago that you will see in Shaver Lake (facilitates the whole family joining) and my ‘light’ single bag solution for joining as passenger in another vehicle.

Thanks Andrew. If the trail is as tough as I hear, I will probably do a lot of walking and filming alongside slow moving vehicles. I will jump into whichever vehicle is available in the trail and organize the ride up closer to the date.

I can't wait for this trip. I think about it every day. I am going to be so prepared by the time we leave!! Thinking about getting bigger tiers for this trip!!

Let's face it, we're all thinking about getting bigger tires.  Always.  It starts about 14 seconds after you bolt on your current tires and you think 'mmm.....a little trimming over hear, maybe change a bump stop, an extra inch of spring.....'

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I ordered some new tires for this trip. I went with super swamper IROK ND LT 315/75R16.

Can we just call them 35s??

Rock on!

• 2 months later...