July 20-22: Weekend at Mendocino NF

Ok, just came back from honeymoon and sad that my truck is collecting dust in the drive way.
So, I am planning for a weekend camping trip to Mendocino NF on July 21.
Plan is to leave Friday late mornings/early afternoon (just tell your boss need to go home early to water the cactus- works every time) and return Sunday afternoon.
Plan is to run the fire roads up and back, find some lakes and rivers to set camp and hangout for the weekend. Weather in Mendo is around high 60’s day & low 50’s night in July. So, it’ll be a nice get away from heat in the Bay Area.

This will be family and truck friendly trip. So, bring your truck (stock or not), family, tent and food. We can trade stories about why we like land rovers around the fire.

Ok,post up if you plan to go. And I’ll get more details within next week.

GPX file from Clear Lake/Upper Lake to Bear Creek Campground attached. 

Itinerary ("ballparking" it):

- Friday: arrival to camp - setup, relax. Early arrivals can explore the Bear Creek area. 

- Saturday: breakfast, then meander our way to Lake Pillsbury. Thinking of spending a few hours there - swim, float on the lake, or hike around it. 

- Sunday: breakfast, break camp and head home. 

So long as you fuel up before heading into the forrest, you should be fine for the weekend. I don't anticipate covering a lot of distance. 

Trekkers: 

• Lithium1330 - trip leader (friday AM - South Bay)
  • RobertDingll (friday AM - South Bay)
  • Gurka (friday AM - Pacifica)
  • Mr.BlueSky (friday afternoon - South Bay)
  • Foster (sat morning arrival - South Bay)

Caravan for Friday morning: let me know where you'll be, so we'll wait for you. 

• San Jose - Diner/Santa Row overflow parking. I'll park behind the diner at corner of Winchester and Olin. Departing here at 9am. 
  • Cupertino - Trader Joes on Homestead & Foothill. I plan to arrive here around 9:15 (hoping 280N traffic will be light)
  • Pacifica/S. SF - Starbucks on San Bruno & Cherry Ave. I anticipate arriving here around 10:00.

clear-lake-to-bear-creek-cg.gpx

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alright... the plan is to set camp at Bear Creek campground. This is about 29miles (1.5hr drive on fire roads) from Upper Lake, CA.

Bear Creek is a more secluded campground (compared to near by Lett's Lake), and should be less crowded.

Unlike Lett's Lake campground, Bear Creek is not lakefront property, but it does sit along side a running creek. 

So, we should expect fewer mosquitos as well. 

The campground has 16 sites (plenty of space) pit toilet, fire rings and tables. No potable water (BYO water) and it's pack in, pack out. 

And they say there is water crossing to get to camp.... so, the site should be free of any Prius'. :)

stay tuned for update on caravan info. 

post-999-0-42629700-1529644668_thumb.png

post-999-0-57533700-1529644681_thumb.png

post-999-0-90946900-1529644706_thumb.png

post-999-0-98364300-1529644755_thumb.png

Am I the only one who can't open the file? I have downloaded it but I don't seem to have or find the program needed to open it with...HELP!!!  LOL

We want to go but need to see exactly the time line for us from Sacramento. 

Am I the only one who can't open the file? I have downloaded it but I don't seem to have or find the program needed to open it with...HELP!!!  LOL

Are you looking for directions to the campground?

Here it is via google:

https://goo.gl/maps/FGHLgYXUmoS2

Here it is on USFS maps via Gaia - not good for auto-routing but my favorite maps for back-country roads and trails.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/0jThkgsy1GEOtAwu1Q71Hz1D

The link Cris provided is a standard GPX file - most GPS's use it.  You can open in in Gaia or with any other GPS

Yeah, you can use the GAIA GPS app (a benefit of membership), or just as easy to use google map as Don suggested, to get to Bear Creek Campground. I'm not aware of any road closures... so, following google maps should be fine. If you do google map, you'll want to download a good portion of the NF for offline use since there is no cell signal in Mendo. Offline map will let you re-route even without cell signal. 

My recommendation is plan your departure so that you reach camp before dark. 

Hope you can join us! Let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Roberts, it looks like I'll be leaving from South Bay Friday morning also. 

I was thinking leaving San Jose (280) around 9-ish. This will get me to about Clear Lake around noon, with time grab lunch & gas up, then get to camp around 2-ish. 

Does that line up with what you guys are thinking? 

Are you guys using HAM radio? 

I’d like to join if there’s room. I would plan to leave South Bay Friday morning and bring one or two kids.

Robert we can travel together since I live in the southbay also

Perfect. I live in Cupertino so just tell me where to meet and I’ll be there.

I have recently purchased a ham radio but do not have a license. Once I figure out how to turn it on and select the right frequency, I’ll be in listen only mode for the time being. My mobile number is 4086370426

I’m in Australia right now and so my responses may be delayed.

See you soon...

Perfect. I live in Cupertino so just tell me where to meet and I’ll be there.

I have recently purchased a ham radio but do not have a license. Once I figure out how to turn it on and select the right frequency, I’ll be in listen only mode for the time being. My mobile number is 4086370426

I’m in Australia right now and so my responses may be delayed.

See you soon...

I wouldn’t worry too much about using the ham radio before you get your license. Unless you’re running a huge antenna and broadcasting hundreds of miles, it really doesn’t matter. Using it as a walkie talkie doesn’t require an 8 hour class class and test and you’re never going to get the FCC coming down on you. So if you’re just messing around with a handheld you’re cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t worry too much about using the ham radio before you get your license. Unless you’re running a huge antenna and broadcasting hundreds of miles, it really doesn’t matter. Using it as a walkie talkie doesn’t require an 8 hour class class and test and you’re never going to get the FCC coming down on you. So if you’re just messing around with a handheld you’re cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically, you need to a licence to transmit on any HAM frequency and I do recommend you get yours.  It's pretty easy and doesn't cost much and it keeps you legal.  However, as Eric mentioned it is unlikely anybody is going to notice or complain if you're just using simplex among our little group and not jumping on repeaters or or doing anything more advanced where the 'real' HAMs hang out.   I guess you could liken it to speeding.  Going 5 over isn't likely to get you a ticket but technically it could. 

Archived