Lost Coast Trip: Nov 3 - 5th (poss. Mendocino NF add-on starting on Nov 1)

Oct 30th updates on meeting points and departure times are posted here:

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5127-lost-coast-trip-nov-3-5th-poss-mendocino-nf-add-on-starting-on-nov-1/?p=183460

Please adhere to the Sinkyone Wilderness park rules:

post-999-0-90055900-1509435841_thumb.png

Hi everyone, don't pack away those camping gear just yet...because we're going to Lost Coast in November!

This should be relatively straight forward overland trip to Lost Coast, CA.

Please subscribe to this thread, or come back often, to get updates as I update with trip details in next week or so.

Lost Coast Trek (Nov 3 - 5):

The plan is to depart the Bay area Friday morning, Nov 3rd, arriving into Lost Coast around 2:30-ish.

Meeting points for South Bay & Peninsula will be near Novato (HWY101 & RT37), then joining up with folks from Sacramento in Redwood Valley (HWY101 & RT20), then caravan off to Lost Coast. Departure time at each checkpoints: SEE OCT 30 UPDATE

Trucks & equipment: Any Land Rover & Range Rover; showroom stock configuration and above. Make sure your vehicle is in safe and good working condition. HAM radio frequency: 146.460

Trail conditions: Off-pavement trails to Lost Coast are mainly fire roads (packed dirt roads). Some sections may have overgrown vegetation, and pin-striping is possible.

Weather Condition: Historic average for November in the Lost Coast area: 60's during the day, and mid-40's at night, and 4" of rain.

Basic itinerary & camp: (Thanks to RonCT110 for suggestions!)

Friday: Usal Beach area & camp

Saturday: Needle Rock in the Sinkyone Wilderness area

Sunday: stop over at Shelter Cove, then head home at your leisure.

Please PM me if you wish to remove your name - I'll cry a little when I remove your name from here ;)

Folks who are interest in Lost Coast from earlier post.

• Lithium1330 (trip leader)
  • gurka (confirmed)
  • Mr.BlueSky (confirmed)
  • hinesdisco2 (confirmed)
  • ndamico (confirmed)
  • aebrownleeiv

post-999-0-20058600-1507868118_thumb.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow that's a pretty big group! I think you have several more than we had a few years back and it was pretty slow going with all the rigs. You might want to cap the number of rigs.

I'm sure that's going to whittle down as we get closer - still early days and that's just the 'expressed interest' list, not the 'committed' list.  

I still need to contact Michele to see what the schedules look like for the both of us before I can commit to either part but I'm pretty sure we can make the weekend.

*on the calendar*

I'm sure that's going to whittle down as we get closer...

Sure enough one whittle down.  I was talking to Lutz about Pismo during the annual.  This trip and Pismo are on the same weekend.   I have not been to Pismo in awhile.  You can remove my name on the interest list. 

Thanks Chris aka Lithium1330 for organization this trip; you guys will have a blast!  Plus you have veterans on the list like RedRover, Phil, El Solis and others...    Enjoy!

Well bummer....we have LC and Pismo on th3 same weekend now. Not sure if I should go north or south.

Instead of looking at the direction, you should ask yourself wether you want your rig filled with sand or not. I know Erin's answer.

Blonde Rover and I could be up for this if, and thats a big if, I can talk her into taking the Fender.

You just have to present it in the right light.

Honey, let's go to lost coast.  I'm going to take the tractor!

What?!? Are you crazy?

OK then, let's take the Defender.  Kinda the same thing...

:)

Cris, looks like I'm out.  I'll be taking the Southern Option that weekend (Pismo) since Michele won't be available anyway.  Heck, the sand won't be any worse than the dust is regularly for the D1!

Thanks for bringing the wild fire concern up... this is a horrible situation for the region. 

I'll keep tracking this and see how it may or may not impact our trek. 

At the moment, there is no road closure on 101 - so, that shouldn't be an issue for those heading north to Lost Coast. 

For the Mendocino NF portion... we will start at Clear Lake, head north for camp at Lake Pillsbury on day 1. On day 2, we continue north and cut west before Eel River. These routes currently are out of direct path of any fire in that region. Lake Pillsbury is about 8 - 10mi west of a smaller fire near Redwood Valley. 10mi may be too close for comfort. I checked the Lake Pillsbury Resort website and appears they're still in operation (not closed or in evac). I've attached the approx route path. 

Let's keep hopes up for next couple weeks, and I'll continue to update based on conditions. 

post-999-0-33913500-1507618877_thumb.png

Updated original post with map for Lost Coast (likely follow route as from the Club's trip in 2015) - i'll post gpx file later.

And also weather info - got a couple messages asking about weather. I suggest - always be prepared; pack rain jacket/umbrella and garbage bag to put muddy stuff in, just in case. 

This sounds like an amazing trip. My father is in town from the east coast otherwise I'd join.

My wife and I did a lot of the Lost Coast on our own back in May, including a stopover at Usal Beach. Down by the beach there's a lot of fun to be had. Some great river crossings. You can drive right out on to the beach (one of the few CA beaches that allow for it). There are a lot of trails by the beach campsites that weren't maintained.. came back with some pinstripes on my LR4. Great trip. Enjoy!

unfortunately I am out.  Given the recent events in the North Bay my priorities have shifted for the next few weeks.  Have a great trip, it is a beautiful area.

Hope you're surviving up there!

unfortunately I am out.  Given the recent events in the North Bay my priorities have shifted for the next few weeks.  Have a great trip, it is a beautiful area.

Wishing you all the best! Do let us know if you need help/assist. 

Sorry to hear Robb - wishing you and your family all the best. 

Cris, I'm also out. The Sport is in the body shop and it sounds like it won't be ready in time. 

Sorry to hear Robb - wishing you and your family all the best. 

Cris, I'm also out. The Sport is in the body shop and it sounds like it won't be ready in time. 

That's too bad, Chad. Well, good luck with the body shop. Feel free to hop back on if truck is ready.

Separately, I checked the North Bay fire situation, and ones in the Santa Rosa area appear to be 75%+ contained!

Cal Fire is doing a heck of a job! 

Archived