Lost Coast Trip: Nov 3 - 5th (poss. Mendocino NF add-on starting on Nov 1)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just checking in with this thread.    I can still go but have not followed the areas affected by fires.      Do we have a green light for this trip still?   

Just now getting on the forum for the first time in a while. None of these fires should affect the lost coast at all. they're all south of that area and our the winds should keep all the smoke out as well. The rain tonight should put a pretty good stop on all of them.

Also Cal Fire is just one entity working the north bay fires. Engines and units from all cities and districts are there including people from Long Beach. They all did a hell of job.

Down by the beach there's a lot of fun to be had. Some great river crossings. You can drive right out on to the beach (one of the few CA beaches that allow for it). There are a lot of trails by the beach campsites that weren't maintained.. came back with some pinstripes on my LR4. Great trip. Enjoy!

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but it is not legal to drive on the beach at Usal. I know we have done it on previous trips, and it is a lot of fun. Over the years, I have done a lot of searching the web and read conflicting reports from people. But when I was there for the Team Hunt Adventure in July I talked with 2 Rangers in person. It was the first time I'd seen them at the beach. They were there to kick out people who planned a rave on the beach Friday night. On Saturday morning they stopped by our group to say hello. While they were there I asked about driving on the beach and was told that it is not allowed. We camped in the area right in front of the creek, and that is ok.

Obviously people will do what they want to do, but I'm just putting this out there for the club.

The Ranger I talked to is Gregory Hall, Supervising State Park Ranger, 707-247-3319.

Well that's news.  I thought the whole point of usal beach was that you COULD drive on it - one of the few places you could.

Then again, I never got that information from anyone official, just anecdotally.

Though to be fair, I've seen plenty of times an official didn't actually get the laws right.  So while the ranger is probably correct, there is a chance he was just erring on the side of caution.  Then again, since the ranger pretty much is the law out there you're going to have a hard time convincing him otherwise even if you have documents to prove it.

He (Gregory) told me a story or arresting a guy (not sure if it was out there or just in the area) one time. Maybe a year later Gregory got stuck while out in the sand. The guy he arrested just so happened to be out there too. Gregory asked him if he could help free his truck. The guy kinda chuckled, said "Nope", and drove off.

It sounds like one of the main reasons they don't allow it is because so many vehicles aren't prepared if they do get stuck. We are, of course, the exception to that rule. 

If that's the main reason, it might be worth asking for an exception with the condition that we would not call them for any assistance. I've found Leo's can be pretty flexible with responsible sounding groups. I've gotten into a few off limits spaces, including getting official permission from Stanislaus County Sheriff for group of 30 BMWs and Audis to go do some fun runs on an abandoned airfield. They even unlocked the gates for us that morning.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

=

It sounds like one of the main reasons they don't allow it is because so many vehicles aren't prepared if they do get stuck. We are, of course, the exception to that rule. 

And doesn't that just sound like a typical government response.  Gee...somebody stubbed their toe on this root - we'd better close access to the entire forest!

Apologies for delay in updates... kind of eye-balls deep in work last couple weeks. 

OK! The trip is less than a week away! So exciting! 

Couple of logistical items:

Weather forecast (spoiler alert - we will likely see rain this weekend along the california coast):

Friday: 52F (High) and 40F (Low), 80% chance of rain (1/2" of rain expected)

Saturday: 51F and 38F, 20% with fog.

Sunday: 51F and 36F, 80% (1/4" of rain expected)

FWIW, forecast last night was showing 100% rain on Friday. I'm also hoping weather will continue improve. 

So, plan and pack accordingly. I.e., layers, warm sleeping bag and garbage bags to collect wet & muddy shoes as necessary)

Camping:

Friday night: Usal Beach campground. 

Saturday night: Nadelo campground. 

I'm trying to work out the fees for camping. It is likely around $8 - 12/vehicle/night

Meeting Points and Departure Time:

San Jose & South Bay: 7:30 Departure from the Chevron gas station on Coleman & Newhall. We'll drive 90mi north to Petaluma meeting point. 

San Francisco & North Bay: Meeting Point at Valero Gas Station at 910 Baywood Drive. 10:20 Departure from here; drive 130mi north to Laytonville meeting point

Laytonville: Lunch break, gas up & grocery, etc. Meeting point at Chevron Gas Station at 44801 US-101. 1:30pm Departure and drive ~65mi Usal Beach campground (about 50mi of this is on paved road)

*Call to Action* 

PM or post here which meeting point you'll be at, so that I can get a head count and not to leave folks behind. 

For those with mapping apps... we're re-tracing Brenton (Disco2Guy)'s map & waypoints, which you can download from here:

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3874-gauging-interest-lost-coast-trip-nov-13-15-fri-sun-2015/?p=167049

Theresa and I are still planning on going. I sorted the last bits on Defender Sunday so all that is left is to pack and get the 12V USB charger installed. 

We will likely be leaving Thursday afternoon attempting to make it to Ukiah by evening. We can break up the drive and not force to much suffering upon the group with the 55mph 2.5NA enforced speed limit. :blink:

I will work with you offline to find out the best plan for a rendevous point should we somehow make it past Laytonville meeting point before you guys catch up. The stretch from Ukiah to Willets is gonna be sloooow. 

Also, which radio frequency should I be monitoring? I'll have the CB along as well, probably on channel 17 +/- 1 if there is traffic. My cell is 402.741.0231 for those that don't already have it. And as far knowing which vehicle is us, just look for the slowest NATO green defender in the land ;).

We will be the the usual freq: 146.460. 

From Laytonville on 101N, we will be taking a left turn onto Shoreline Hwy (HWY 1) at Leggett. So, you can wait for us at that left turn and monitor HAM 

As reminder.... please confirm for this trek. 

right now myself and Ryan Hackett are still a go. our daughter has last soccer game friday and apparently we cant leave until afterwards :(

so we'll be on the road after the game which puts us leaving sac at 6pm best case.   leave a light on and place to park for us at usal beach.

Archived