10th Annual Member's Appreciation Weekend "OktRoverFest" Official Thread!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright everybody, the Beginner/Moderate trail run through hudner was going to be in conjunction with Land Rover Experience, to be more of a training run with instructors teaching you as you drive the route. LRE is now in limbo as to there attendance. As such I am trying to formulate an alternative plan.

First, would people like to see more of a training style run, spending time navigating obstacles, learning winch techniques etc. Maybe spending the time on the obstacle course rather than a run per se. Or would you prefer a 'Don lite' trail run through hudner.

Second, I am trying to establish a head count for those who would like to participate in my shenanigans. So who is interested?

Count me in

count me in  one Disco   2 adults.  Hudner is pretty tame except for some shelf road drop offs from what I have seen so far     I am up for any tips and tricks on some obstacles or trails   

You should totally come on my run!  I promise to find at least one thing that will challenge you.

And now for the entertainment portion of our program.

Saturday during lunch we’ll have some special demonstrations for your enjoyment and possibly even education.

Have you ever actually had the chance to use a kinetic recovery strap?  There is a certain knack to it, coordinating the pulling truck with the stuck truck.  How fast should the pulling truck go?  Will it jerk it to a stop?  How hard will it be on the stuck truck?  If you’ve never used a recovery strap before, we’ll have an opportunity for you to try your hand at being either the stuck driver or the towing driver to feel exactly how these kinetic recovery straps work in the real world.

And speaking of recoveries, ever been on a side hill and thought ‘gee, this thing feels kinda tippy’.  Maybe you’ve been out with some old-timers who told you ‘don’t worry, you’ll be uncomfortable long before the rig is’ but still you can’t help but wonder just how close you were to rolling off the hillside.

Well it’s time we answered the burning question of just how far CAN you tip a Rover before it rolls?

We’re planning a special demonstration using a Discovery 1 to show you exactly how far a Rover can lean.  You’ll also get a chance to see how to put it back on its feet again and drive away.  Place your bets now – how far will she go?  20*….30*….45*…? 

We’re planning a special demonstration using a Discovery 1 to show you exactly how far a Rover can lean. You’ll also get a chance to see how to put it back on its feet again and drive away. Place your bets now – how far will she go? 20*….30*….45*…?

36* !!

Ok this is going to be interesting. I wana learn the straps. Will we have multiple demos to get everyone who wants a shot at it?

Remember it's a Disco :D

Do you want me to collect all your raffle prizes this year if you are not there Alyson?? :P

I stand by my guess because I have a disco and thanks for the offer to collect my stuff, but I will actually be there. Enrique and I are planning some tasty additions to midnight bacon.

36* !!

Ok this is going to be interesting. I wana learn the straps. Will we have multiple demos to get everyone who wants a shot at it?

I only plan to set up the two rigs to play with the kinetic straps but we should have time for everybody who wants to take a shot at them.

I'll be using my ARB strap, but if somebody else has a Bubba Rope we might set that up too.  I actually like the Bubba Rope better as it seems to have more stretch than my ARB strap, but I don't like it so much more that I'm going to run out and replace what I already have.

I only plan to set up the two rigs to play with the kinetic straps but we should have time for everybody who wants to take a shot at them.

I'll be using my ARB strap, but if somebody else has a Bubba Rope we might set that up too.  I actually like the Bubba Rope better as it seems to have more stretch than my ARB strap, but I don't like it so much more that I'm going to run out and replace what I already have.

Don,  I have a 30ft Bubba Rope unused

We are T minus 4 days and counting before "OktRoverFest" is upon us!!  To help make your week go by faster (or maybe slower depending on how excited you are), I will be publishing the agenda below and a digital copy of the program is attached, which includes the ENTIRE LIST OF RAFFLE LOTS!!!!*

*mostly, there are few little things we may be holding back as surprise items, you'll have to show up to find out.

** Some items have multiple items to win, we are going to allow one winner per item for these and they are clearly labeled as to which lots this pertains to.  Example: 3 Roadshower gift certificates: you can put as many tickets in the bucket as you want to increase your odds of winning but you can only win one gift certificate.  

I can't wait to see everyone!!

Chris

President

NCLR 2016 “OktRoverFest†Schedule of Events

Welcome to NCLR’s 10th Annual Event!!  In honor of this, your Board of Directors has put together one of the best collection of activities ever seen!!  We hope you enjoy yourselves!  A few new things this year: Medical Tent, More Hosted Meals, Hosted Beer Garden, Hosted Wine Tasting, Kids Activities, and more!! Read below to see what is in store for you this weekend!

Friday

5:00p – 7:00p Registration and Beer Garden  (Front of Dining Area)

7:00p – 8:30p Keynote: Michael and Corrie, founders of OverlandBound.com

Join us for a discussion with Michael and Corrie of Overland Bound.  Fresh off their most recent Off the Grid Rally, they have built and motivated an international community of “Overlanders†to get up and get out. It’s not about what you drive, it’s about the journey. They will help us understand how easy it can be to get out the door for adventure in 30 minutes! ( Main Stage)

8:30p – 9:ish S’mores, Songs and Stories

Bring your kids and join Ben and Katie for a campfire sing-along and toast some S’Mores and maybe a ghost story or two (Main Campfire Circle)

9:00p “ish†Afterglow

Put the kids to bed and the week behind you, let’s gather around the campfire and let’s toast to a great year!

Saturday

7:30a – 9:00a Coffee and Pastries to start your day 

Sponsored by Catahoula Coffee (Near Stage)

8:45a Driver’s Meetings – Morning Trail Run

“Overlanding†with Drew Salzborn

easy to moderate run

“Off-Roading†with Don Happel

moderate to difficult run, expect pin stripes, must be experienced  in driving off road (ask Don Friday if you have questions)

9:00  Sharp Groups depart  - Morning Trail Runs

9:15 – 11:00a Morning Kids Activities

• 9:15  Origami

• 9:45 Rope Making

• 10:15 Animal Identification

9:30a – 10:30a BaseCamp: Fireside Chat #1 “Up and Outâ€

An open discussion of strategies learned from the previous night and personal strategies we employ to get out on the road, then off the road.  

Planning, packing, cooking, and finding the right location are all major barrier to taking off for the weekend, especially if kids are involved. During this roundtable we will we all share what prevents us from doing this more often, what techniques and methods help lessen the burden of taking these trips, how to make camping more comfortable and fun for all, and hopefully learn and share with each other.  

We will have a list of topics and questions to get the conversation going. Please bring your own ideas and questions along!

10:30a – 11:30a BaseCamp: Fireside Chat #2 

“More than Driving aroundâ€

Some of us may not be so into the off-roading, which may make us not want to go on these trips as frequently. During this round table we will discuss other basecamp activities we engage in and how we can make those a part of these NCLR events.  We will discuss activities that get us up and exploring to those that allow us to relax in the quiet sounds of nature.  We want to encourage the whole family to come out on these events, this session will help introduce the more novice outdoor explorer to the alternatives. We will have a list of topics and questions to get the conversation going. Please bring your own ideas and questions along

11:30 – 12:00 Trail Runs return to camp (break)

Kid’s Camel Trophy Pre-Run and Team Assignments

12:00 – 1:00 Kid’s Camel Trophy Event  “Hollister Hills 2016â€

We all love the Camel Trophy event and so do our kids! Now is their chance for them to feel the some of the glory and thrill of competing in a race to the finish. Kids will be split into teams and then will compete in an obstacle course that requires them to work together. Obstacles will include skills learned earlier in the day as well as some basic off-roading skills such as navigation and securing and towing materials.  We promise that the kids will enjoy the race and adults will enjoy the show! Prizes will be awarded.

Don Happel will be doing recovery demonstrations around the main camp area, there may even be a Rover on its side!!

1:00p – 1:30p Driver’s Meetings – Afternoon Trail Run

“Overlanding†with Drew Salzborn

“Off-Roading†with Don Happel

1:30p – 4:00p Groups depart  - Afternoon Trail Runs

5:00p – 7:00p NCLR 10th Anniversary Dinner (Dining Area)

No Tuxedo required but come celebrate Northern California Land Rover Club’s 10th Anniversary!!

6:00p RAFFLE TICKETS GO ON SALE!

Erin will be near the stage selling tickets. More items than EVER – Budget accordingly!

6:30p – 7:00p A few words and awards (Stage - Dining Area)

*Celebrate the founders

*NCLR State of the Club Address – A look at past, present and future

*Kids Camel Trophy Awards

7:00p – 9:00p NCLR 10th Anniversary Raffle   

Our club has seen an outpouring of support and good wishes from Land Rover Enthusiasts from around the world!! Sponsors and Partners supporting the 10th Anniversary of our club have been exceptionally generous and willing to participate in our milestone. Congrats to ALL of the members who make this club what it is!

Get your tickets placed, fill a fresh beer, a comfy seat and let’s go!

9:00 - 9:30p “ish†More S’mores, Songs and Stories

Kid’s still awake? Bring’em over and join Ben and Katie for a campfire sing-along and toast some S’Mores and maybe a ghost story sequel or two (Main Campfire Circle)

9:30p “ish†Afterglow

Put the kids to bed and let’s gather around the campfire. 

Tall tales from trails gone by, planning and barter of Raffle winnings and Toast a great year ahead!

Sunday

12:01am “ish†3rd Annual Midnight Bacon  

Put the kids to bed and let’s gather around the campfire. 

Tall tales from trails gone by, planning and barter of Raffle winnings and Toast a great year ahead!

9:00a – 10:30a Annual Board Breakfast

Sponsored again by Justin of British Recyclers, your Board will be serving breakfast so you don’t have to. Come on by for a cup of Catahoula Coffee and a plate of (more) bacon, eggs, pancakes and juice! 

11:00a NCLR 10th Anniversary Group Photo

Before we close the books on a great weekend, let’s line up and commemorate how far we’ve come since that meeting in the Pizza Parlor 10 years ago. And to think, all they wanted was a sticker.

NCLR 2016 MAW Program v1.pdf

Chris,

You have seriously ROCKED your presidency. Thank you so much for the effort...!

See ya'll in a few days.

Lutzi and I will have stories and pics from our invasion of Clear Creek Management Area and our 1st un-official NCLR ascent of San Benito Mountain Peak.

Possible trail for 2017.

--Paul

Thank Paul, team effort to make it all happen.

Side Note for everyone regarding the Raffle Tickets: Tickets are $5 each but there are discounts for buying in bulk. $20 gets you 5 tickets (instead of 4), $100 gets you 25 tickets (instead of 20). For the Tepui Tent and Bajarack 25% coupon Premier Raffle Lot, each ticket is $20 and $100 gets you 6 tickets (instead of 5). As you can see there are a lot of great raffle lots to choose from so make sure you bring your wallets!!!

Also, we hit 97 registered guests for OktRoverFest Today!! That is a record number of attendees!! Can't wait to see everyone there.

For those who like odds and statistics: we have 82 people registered who are eligible to win raffle items and we have 68 lots to win. Odds are in your favor!!

AWESOME JOB TEAM PHOBUCKET!!!

Folks,

Ben, Kate and the kids are creating a wonderful "BaseCamp" track from Friday night S'more and campfire songs but the fire, day's activities for those not on the trail including...

Kid's Camel Trophy Event  - So remember to pack your kids and their "vehicles" (bikes, etc..  Camel Trophy themed decorations optional ;-)

and then again, S'Mores, Campfire songs and possibly story time (A personal favorite :-) for Saturday night!

Thank you Kate, Ben, Simon and Ruben!!

Hey all - update on the Camel Trophy - we know that packing bikes in addition to all the family camping gear can be a burden.  We've reworked the obstacle course so that all you need to bring is your kids :-)  Of course, you are still welcome to bring and decorate the kids' bikes if you have the room, but they are strictly optional.

11:00a NCLR 10th Anniversary Group Photo

Before we close the books on a great weekend, let’s line up and commemorate how far we’ve come since that meeting in the Pizza Parlor 10 years ago.

And to think, all they wanted was a sticker.

SMH

So I will be heading out to Hollister from Napa on Friday evening as soon as I get off work (6:00 PMish). I have never been, and do not want to be the guy that comes rolling into camp at 1:00AM because I got lost. Any tips/advice/directions on how to get to Base Camp would be greatly appreciated. 

So I will be heading out to Hollister from Napa on Friday evening as soon as I get off work (6:00 PMish). I have never been, and do not want to be the guy that comes rolling into camp at 1:00AM because I got lost. Any tips/advice/directions on how to get to Base Camp would be greatly appreciated. 

I highly recommend you try it some time, it's a blast. A buddy and I rolled into a camp once at 4am due to mechanical issues. Ended up being a hilariously great experience, and I'm SURE the other campers didn't mind one bit..... LMAO.

I highly recommend you try it some time, it's a blast. A buddy and I rolled into a camp once at 4am due to mechanical issues. Ended up being a hilariously great experience, and I'm SURE the other campers didn't mind one bit..... LMAO.

HAHA I will reconsider...

Just dim your rack lights, nobody wants to be that guy ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries there! I don't have a rack...  http://i.makeagif.com/media/8-22-2015/zJa8kX.gif

HAHA I will reconsider...

No worries there! I don't have a rack...[yet!!]  http://i.makeagif.com/media/8-22-2015/zJa8kX.gif

There, I edited your quote...

So, there are (4) 25% discount coupons for BajaRacks in the raffle - that will help

ALSO

In addition, VOYAGER Racks has donated (2) ladders (D2 and P38)  AND are offering a 10% discount to all "event attendees" aka, ALL NCLR MEMBERS through the event.

So, If a rack is in your future, take a look at both sites

http://www.voyagerracks.com

http://www.bajarack.com

And bring lady-luck (and cash, lots of cash)  to the raffle!  If she let's you down (again) Voyager discount still good thru Tuesday night.

Now you have research to do ;-)

There, I edited your quote...

So, there are (4) 25% discount coupons for BajaRacks in the raffle - that will help

ALSO

In addition, VOYAGER Racks has donated (2) ladders (D2 and P38)  AND are offering a 10% discount to all "event attendees" aka, ALL NCLR MEMBERS through the event.

So, If a rack is in your future, take a look at both sites

http://www.voyagerracks.com

http://www.bajarack.com

And bring lady-luck (and cash, lots of cash)  to the raffle!  If she let's you down (again) Voyager discount still good thru Tuesday night.

Now you have research to do ;-)

Thanks buddy!

Archived