Oregon vs LRNR

Some of you may be in a similar situation of choosing between these two trips so I thought I'd tap into the collective to get some thoughts. Our circumstances are all different so would love to get some different thoughts.

For me, my new job knows about the Oregon dates, but I just got scheduled for a business trip right before Oregon (June 10-12). I'm worried that I'd need to do all my prep the weekend before. I'm on the presumption that Oregon will entail more camping meaning more supplies/packing/etc - compared to LRNR which would really be more getting to Colorado (unless we're camping along the way). 

What about the trip itself? How will they differ?

For LRNR

Time: if you got 9 days free. 4 days of on the road driving to event and 5 days of LRNR, offroad and events.

Money: gas for 2k of mileage? est. $4.30/gal times your mpg?

food for 8-9 days? dives,diners,camp, communal, cooking?

lodging for 9 days? camp 9 days? OR motels for 9 days? OR group house rental for 5 nites?

fee for the event

Conviviality: meeting,dining, seeing other LRs and folk from around the nation.

LRNR occurs annually so there's always next year at either CO or UT locations

For Oregon

Time: less mileage than LRNR, you can leave early if needed.

Money: less fuel cost

food mainly camp food and potluck

lodging mainly camping

fee none if you're a NCLR member

Coviviality: what more can I say?

Oregon trip occurs about every 3 yrs with new routes.

I'm going on both, but I'm retired and can't  take it($$$) with me. :)

FWIW, gas prices are *supposed* to drop significantly this summer.  They say (and who exactly is 'they' anyway?) we'll be back down to $2 for regular at the national level.  Of course the last time it got down that cheap we didn't actually hit those numbers in the bay area, but at least it should help on the costs somewhat.

FWIW, gas prices are *supposed* to drop significantly this summer.  They say (and who exactly is 'they' anyway?) we'll be back down to $2 for regular at the national level.  Of course the last time it got down that cheap we didn't actually hit those numbers in the bay area, but at least it should help on the costs somewhat.

Don,

National average is $2.40 at the moment, with Arkansas at below $2 in several places.

Graeme

FWIW this is what I paid last weekend when filling up at the Safeway in Fort Mohave before we ran the Mojave Road..

IMG_20150406_011204.jpg

*** Grumble***Stupid California Blends*** Paid a buck more a gallon on my way back home in Barstow just for the privilege of being able to fuel up in CA..

Premo in RB today $3.05-$3.29. Summer hasn't started yet. It's the price of WATER that I'm worried about!

That's about what we're getting for regular down here.  :(

I use Gas Buddy to find the closest Chevron. Don't want to put any old crap in my engines.

The Saudis have a very large incentive to keep prices low for several years at this point. Just in the last few years they've seen numerous credible threats to their main source of income. Russia and the US have started investing heavily in production of domestic reserves, alternative fuels are gaining serious traction in developed economies, and 3rd world/developing economies are even genuinely looking for ways to reduce their oil consumption.

The Saudis are openly trying to choke out other options and ensure oil remains in high demand, even if it means keeping prices lower than they could be. OPEC isn't thrilled but they're being dragged along by Saudi Aramco so I think cheaper gas is here to stay for quite some time. The days of $4+ gas is over, IMHO, and barring some crisis it will keep gradually sliding until alternatives have been choked out, alternatives have won and effectively replaced oil, or Saudi Arabia has diversified its economy. Enjoy it. :)

Don't get me started on that....

The oil is being extracted from the sands anyway. We can keep transporting this more volatile crude via train and let it keep dumping and contaminating things or exploding, or we could stick it in a safe, monitored pipeline. The Canucks are pumping it out regardless of the pipeline. How could anyone be against it....

Don't get me started on that....

The oil is being extracted from the sands anyway. We can keep transporting this more volatile crude via train and let it keep dumping and contaminating things or exploding, or we could stick it in a safe, monitored pipeline. The Canucks are pumping it out regardless of the pipeline. How could anyone be against it....

POTUS?

When I was up there last year, Canada was planning on building their own pipeline to Vancover and selling the crude to China, dont know if its true now.

Anyway, the goodnews, I'm checking TripAdvisor and Yelp for restaurants in Grand Junction for our group.

I don't know which would be a better choice for your situation but I don't think you could go wrong with the LRNR... not sure whether the group has landed on what sort of lodging we'll use during the trip (I'm all in for camping but I've heard some folks would prefer a hotel.)  Oregon is going to be camping for the entire run.

Just a guess but I would assume your chances of having cellular service at LRNR (and the duration of the drive) is greater than the remote area of Oregon we will be going into... not sure if that's important since it's a new job.

If lack of prep time is your concern Phil, go with LRNR. We are looking @ hotel options - might just have to only bring a sleeping bag, and town has grocery stores so no need to haul tons of food.

Are you going to attend the MoM this Saturday? Come by and we can discuss Oregon and LRNR.

Archived