Lost Coast Trip November 2014

Well some are spoken for so I am only contributing 3 jars, plus a bottle of rye whiskey (same stuff from the annual that was a big hit). Campfire or not we will be warm!

The Solis circus will become the smash hit of the year!'

So that means...

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/whiskey-cars-2.jpg

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK so back on topic….it looks like the Oaktown meet up group is all getting coffee before meeting in Oakland. So let's just keep the meet up at the Joaquin Miller exit. There is a little market there with some parking. Get off and go straight, it's called Woodminster Market (or in my family the "walking store" as we used to walk to that store from my grandparents house for groceries when I was a wee little lad).

What time do you *really* expect to get underway from Oakland? 10:30?

I'll plan to hit Petaluma about an hour after you guys plan to be wheels up in Oakland and we should cross paths at 101 & 116.

Thanks B, I'll take a look and add to the GPS. It sounds like your route might me the return side from shelter? Def more highway on that leg coming from the north to get to glass beach. My attempt was to plot the agenda that Ron had laid out in the first post... Good thing I'm in the middle of the pack and not leading ;-)

Ah, I see it now - the "northern route". I'll check weather next but let's discuss at the Driver's meeting best route for the group/time frame etc.. Thanks!!

Notes?? Huh, ok i'll see what I can come up with. I planned on driving to the ocean and hanging a right. Too bad someone hasn't drawn out what the area looks like, where the roads are etc. I bet lots of people would be interested in it. We could call it "picture of the earth with roads and stuff"

Figured surface from my business meeting today and post some updates. Will see you all this Saturday.

I called the Ranger Office today who manages Usal Rd and confirmed Usal Rd is "open" from Hwy 1 to Sinkyonne Wilderness Park; road closure doesn't start till mid December for winter or with continuous rain.

So far no continuous rain; in fact, it's forecast 20% today and tomorrow to rain but it hasn't in the Lost Coast today according to the Ranger. Now north of Shelter Cover which we are not going to is raining hard.

Check-in at Camp Nadelos is at 2pm; the Ranger said if we get there early e.g., it's ok to setup. Camp fire is ok as long as we use the ring; and ok to gather downed branches for firewood. Bathroom and water are avail at camp. The ranger will put-up a sign in Nadelos camp "reserved for NCLR/Boston" - see attached paid receipt; we have the entire camp so nobody else should be camping there. Just pay me ($85 div # of vehicles) when you have the chance.

If anyone other than this group is at our campground, direct them to the camp before Nadelos called Wailaka (first come first service).

C yah!

Hope (know) you guys had a blast and are home safely now. Can't wait to see some pics. and hear the stories of all the circus clowns indulging on the elixir.

Thanks for the well wishes Enrique.

Overall, it was a great weekend. My son Jake and I met with Group A on Usal Beach Saturday and joined the fun, and then camped in Kings Range area after visiting Sinkyone Wilderness Park. The larger group had camped in the Lost Coast Friday night. We also checked out Shelter Cover, and Glass Beach in Fort Bragg.

As for the return home today, got home around 7pm tonight after separating from the LR convoy. Jared/Erin were leading it with Tom, Sean, Allyson, and Brenton in the convoy. Anudeep and his wife were in convoy until their exit.

And Martin/Amy, Don/Michele and Sean's friend headed their separate ways after Glass Beach today.

Chris & family, Rob/Tracy, Robb/Gracie, and Todd from Tepui Tent didn't join us at Glass Beach and headed for home.

Attached from random pictures from the trip.

Got home about 7:30 after Fish and Chips in Fort Bragg (How could I miss that :) . Washed the mud and sand off the Sport (my driveway looks like a Tsunami hit it). Shower can wait to later !

Uploaded some of the trip pictures here - thanks to Amy for riding shotgun and taking most of these ... Great Trip - thanks for the pull out of the sand and also to Ron for leading the way ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63vznzdinzjhq31/AAA9Gr1r8-VSNuBpTWRidpbUa?dl=0

Cheers - Martin

Got home about 7:30 after Fish and Chips in Fort Bragg (How could I miss that :)

Glad you and Amy could make it to the Lost Coast. And glad to help - one of the rules: nobody gets left behind the trail; glad to help w/the recovery. How was the Fish and Chips?

Here's you and Amy going thru one of the giant puddles on the trail

attachment.php?attachmentid=5621&d=1416202177

Archived