The Official UNOFFICIAL Death Valley 2014 Trip Thread

DEATH VALLEY TRIP PLANNING IS NOW COMPLETE...

I have attached the itinerary to this post, along with a GPX file containing the planned routes. The plan for the week is as follows:

1. April 18th (Friday) -- Drive from Bay Area to rally point - "Wills Fargo Motel" in Baker, CA. From the Bay Area, this will be about 450 miles and will take 8 to 9 hours. The route is down Highway 5, via Bakersfield. Since I'm assuming Friday will be a late night of driving for most, we at least plan on spending the night in Baker (renting a room at the Wills Fargo for $60).

2. April 19th (Saturday) --Meet at the restaurant for Wills Fargo at 8am. Then take Kingston Wash Trail (with a stop at Crusty Bunny Ranch) to Shoshone gas and ice. Head to Salt Basin (Bob and Wards cabin) for the nights camp.

3. April 20th - Sunday - Pack up, travel into Striped Butte Valley. Camp in Striped Butte for one night.

4. April 21st- Monday - Pack up, exit via Goler. Camp at Briggs (if available). Otherwise, cross valley and stay at Minnietta or Osborne.

5. April 22nd- Tuesday - Tour Defense mine, Lookout City. Return to spend night at Briggs or Minnietta or Osorne.

6. Day 6 - Wednesday - Head to Cerro Gordo, where we will camp in the Ghost Town and take a tour. Stop at Panamint along the way for a gas stop.

7. Day 7 - Thursday - Tour Cerro Gordo, do the Salt Tram/Swansea loop. Return to our camp in Cerro Gordo.

8. Day 8 - Friday - Pack up, head towards home. Others may decide to stay (spend night at Panamint Valley or drive to Scottys Castle and do the tour. Reservations recommended.

I've spoken with the caretakers for Cerro Gordo and the town will be open for a tour. Donations will be expected - and we will also need to pay for our 2 nights of camping. If you would like, rooms are available at Cerro Gordo for $50 per night.

So far, we have the following people confirmed for the trip:

1. Chuck Mobraten (breaking in the Blue Bomber)

2. Tyler Mobraten/Barry Stergion (in the resurrected Great White)

3. Michal C.

4. The LizzyBus (2 people)

5. Rupert (dragging an offroad trailer)

I need to get details from the following folks (who are still pending confirmation):

1. Bill

2 Sean

3. Rob Ferber (in a pickup truck)

4. Rupert (may meet us at Minnietta for the Panamint Springs/Cerro Gordo portion of trip)

Normal NCLR trip protocols (no drinking on trail, convoy rules, etc.) will be followed. All licensed drivers (regardless of age) are welcome to attend -- and you are responsible for ensuring that any unlicensed drivers are complying with the appropriate regulations for offroading (ie within sight/control of parents and guardians at all times).

Please review the attached PDF for more trip details and day by day itineraries. Also please try to download the attached GPX file for daily routes.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still on the fence...and will probably remain there till very close to time for the trip. Too many other things are demanding my attention (and pocketbook!) right now and it's really going to depend on how far along I am with getting some of those things cleared up in time. Plus, with the other commitments I have for the last weekend of the month which happens to coincide with the end of this trip, it's not looking at all good for me to make the second trip so that leaves me with the option of the first trip...and that's where I'm on the fence. We'll just have to see how it all plays out over the next couple of months.

I'd volunteer for the early trip, Cerro Gordo, Salt Tram,Hunter Pass, Burro Mine, Racetrack, Teakettle, Hot Springs, Steele Pass.

Bringing my M416 trailer.

Hope at least 2-3+ others can go at that time. Tiger Dan?

Sorry, can't go Easter week.

I'd volunteer for the early trip, Cerro Gordo, Salt Tram,Hunter Pass, Burro Mine, Racetrack, Teakettle, Hot Springs, Steele Pass.

Bringing my M416 trailer.

Hope at least 2-3+ others can go at that time. Tiger Dan?

Sorry, can't go Easter week.

Michele and I might be interested in doing this as well but getting the time away could be a problem. We're discussing it this week. If we were to do the trip as originally outlined, we may have to skip the 18th/19th and just drive down very early on the 20th to meet up as you are breaking camp. That's OK, we have plenty of Easter eggs already.... :)

We've never done DV at all so I'm going to ask a question I'm pretty sure I know the answer to: is there any sort of cell reception along the anticipated route or at any of the camp areas? I would expect not, but if there was it might mean we can do some work from the road and not have to take as much time off by spending an hour or two on the old laptop in camp at the end of the day. Not fun, but if it's the difference between doing the trip and not it might be worth it.

Just speculating at this point - I hope to be able to say yah/nah by next week.

Unfortunately, Ella and I will not be able to attend your trip this year. My work schedule is not budging and I only have April 9th to the 13th available. Hopefully, next year.

Sounds like a great trip with some time to enjoy your campsites. Defense Mine is very cool.

I didn't really expect cell coverage. Talking with her briefly this week and it doesn't look good for us. We *might* try to meet the group mid week. I'll be discussing it with her in more detail when she gets home this weekend.

Hmm -- if Cerro Gordo works out, that could be a good rally point. Otherwise, it might get a bit tricky mid week...

Rupert -- do you want to start another thread for the first leg of Death Valley? Looks like you need to recruit some folks -- and since you won't be ending your trip at Dumont maybe the two groups never meet up?

Got the attached note for checking on Cerro Gordo road conditions as well as camping situation in area. With the rain hitting SOCAL, snowpack may make Cerro untenable this time of year anyway... meaning that we'd be doing the Pleasant Canyon loop. But if weather allows, I'd like to arrange a tour with the caretaker.

"There is no camping or overnight stays allowed in Cerro Gordo at the current time. If you want to information about arranging a day visit and road and weather conditions, please call the caretaker Robert (760-876-5030 / 909-856-4434)."

Means I may need to re-think camping sites on trip a bit. Rupert, I haven't ever done Swansea/Salt Tram Road, so don't know what the camping situation on the trail itself is like. Closest place to Cerro that I've seen a good spot to camp is Boxcar Cabin. Do you (or any others) have any recommendations.

Sadly, I'm going to have to back out of this trip. I'd initially talked my 12 year old into doing this with me (even for just a few days) as her class will be going to DV next year so she wanted to experience it with the club beforehand. However, both kids will be on class trips the week prior - the older one to Costa Rica and the younger one camping in Mendocino.

Yea baby!

Road Conditions Update 3/2/14:

Cottonwood Cayon Rd .....................Impassable due to standing water and deep mud.

Dantes View Rd ............................. Caution advised due to debris on the roadway.

Emigrant Canyon Rd .................. Use Caution. 3-4 inches of debris on roadway.

Hunter Mountain Road ................... Snow and ice conditions possible. Carry chains.

Keane Wonder Road ..................... CLOSED. Road and mining area closed to entry due to mine safety hazards.

Mesquite Springs Rd ..................... Caution advised due to unpaved surfaces and road construction.

May not be suitable for large RVs.

Mustard Canyon Rd ....................... CLOSED due to flooding.

Panamint Valley Road ................... Caution advised due to sections of unpaved surfaces and one-lane road.

Saline Valley Road ........................ Snow and ice conditions possible. Carry chains.

Salt Creek Rd ................................. CLOSED due to flooding.

Scotty’s Castle Road ..................... Use caution due to flood debris on the roadway. Caution advised due to rough unpaved surfaces south of Scotty’s Castle. Expect up

to 30 minute delays. Road is closed between Scotty’s Castle and the Nevada border.

Titus Canyon Rd ............................ CLOSED due to flooding.

Twenty Mule Team Rd ................... CLOSED due to flooding.

Wildrose Canyon (lower) ............... CLOSED to through traffic from Wildrose to Panamint Valley Road due to flood damage.

Wildrose Canyon (upper) ............... CLOSED above Charcoal Kilns due to snow and ice.

Stock vehicles will make it -- just need to be real cautious in spots (and maybe bypass the climb to Defense mine if we make it).

Sliders aren't required, but would be real useful, as would a 2" lift. I'd want a "recovery" point front and rear so we could put a strap on you if you needed help. That's the short answer.

April is getting close -- so I am starting to plan out the DV2014 trip. Unlike years past, this will be an "unofficial" outing -- meaning that club insurance will not apply -- and we will not be able to get group sites within the National Park approved. But like years past, we will be exploring some hithero unexplored areas of the park, as well as returning to some old favorites. We welcome folks with experience in the Death Valley area, or those who might be looking to explore the area with a group that have never seen it before. This is typically a very kid friendly trip -- timed to coordinate with Easter Break for my kids. But check your kids calendar - not all school districts offer time off the week after Easter.

A more detailed plan will be forthcoming, but here is my current thinking on the itinerary:

1. April 18th (Friday) -- drive to Dumont Dunes -- set up camp. Some may want to split the trip into two sections, and leave on Thursday from the Bay Area. We are going to do an advance scout and see if Bob and Wards is available -- if it is, we will "stake it out" for us to stay at the next night.

2. April 19th (Saturday) --explore the Dunes Area. Meet u with any latecomers -- keep camp at Dumont Dunes. This will be the night we will have the Easter Dinner and buffet. Location may change to Bob & Wards cabin, if we can get it -- otherwise we will stay put at Dumont.

3. April 20th (Sunday) -- do the Easter Egg hunt. Break camp and head towards Ballarat. Stay at Minnietta or Newmans cabin.

4. April 21st (Monday) -- do Defense mine, Lookout City, etc. Continue stay at Minnietta.

5. April 22nd (Tuesday) -- leave Minnietta, head to Cerro Gordo. Camp in Cerro Gordo. (This plan may change depending on snow levels).

6. April 23rd (Wednesday) -- do the Salt Tram trail. Return to Cerro Gordo and camp.

7. April 24th (Thursday) Leave Cerro Gordo, explore Hunter Pass (including Lost Burro Mine). Camp someplace in Hunter Mountains.

8. April 25th (Friday) . Leave camp, go to Racetrack via Teakettle, descend Lippencott, and head to the Hot Springs. Overnight there.

9. April 26th (Saturday) -- Exit from Hot Springs via Steele Pass and head back to Bay Area. Long day of driving -- or overnight on the way back at one of the hotels enroute home.

Note that if Cerro Gordo gets snowed in -- the alternate will be to head towards Briggs and do the Pleasant Canyon Loop including Chicken Rock (which is now open again, by most accounts).

I'm going to need to limit the number of vehicles coming along this year - so we can keep the group moving as well as comply with the Park Services backcountry regulations. So if you are definitely planning on attending this trip, please post up your names now.

I show the following people as INTERESTED from the earlier Gauging interest thread -- if you are prepared to CONFIRM please respond on THIS thread....I know some of you may have decided not to go -- so let me know if you CAN'T make it as well and I will keep updating the list.

1. Paul D.

2. Bill

3. Sean

Only CONFIRMED at this point are:

1. Chuck Mobraten (breaking in the Blue Bomber)

2. Tyler Mobraten (in the resurrected Great White)

3. Barry Stergion (in a Jeep)

4. Michal C.

POSSIBLE for the trip

1. DHappel (part of week)

OUT this week, but may possibly do a trip the prior week

1. Dan Harris

2. Rupert

Normal NCLR trip protocols (no drinking on trail, convoy rules, etc.) will be followed. All licensed drivers (regardless of age) are welcome to attend -- and you are responsible for ensuring that any unlicensed drivers are complying with the appropriate regulations for offroading (ie within sight/control of parents and guardians at all times).

Hi,

I again wanted to confirm my attendance. I should be arriving mid day on Saturday at the latest (but possibly Saturday morning). I will leave the Bay Area in the late afternoon on Friday and drive down and camp overnight somewhere on the road.

Best,

Michal

Awesome. I was just getting ready to send out another note to the other guys. You are in for sure. We will figure out a way to meet up on Saturday down near Dumont Dunes either there or at Bob and Wards. We'll be leaving early Friday morning ourselves, may end up getting a hotel along the road for Friday night. I can't leave as early as I'd like due to out of town travel requirements.

Of course conditions could be challenging. Here is what the goler was waterfalls look like right now...http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/09/yzase6eq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks more like the old Goler Wash that was challenging in 2012 and not just graded over like last year.

http://www.speichers.com/pictures/dv2012/dv12_d1_goler_jen.jpg

I've read that it's been cleared. But I do think it may be a bit challenging... I also just added to the main trip page one of our neighbors, Rob Ferber, who is a strong possible for attending. Not a rover guy, but a geobiologist whose spent a lot of time in the Death Valley area back in his early days at Caltech and knows of some interesting hidden areas to explore in the area...

Update to itinerary -- it is still on -- but may have to make a few changes due to peoples travel schedules. Trip leader needs to be back in the Bay Area on Friday night. So we will stay Thursday night at a location that allows for a early morning pack-up and hit the road -- most likely Panamint Springs Resort. Still plan on "Good Friday" as the "drive down" from Bay Area day -- some folks may want to leave Thursday night to get some miles in.

If you haven't yet CONFIRMED please do...

Archived