Out of the loop for a while

Jantiz

Hey Brian,

I could be up for a caravan on the way up. Not sure which way you plan to head out. I just did the Map quest route from HMB to New Pine Creek and it took my through SF. I live in SF if your heading that way up 280 you coud give me a call on the HAM as you get close to SF and I can jump right on 280 and rendevous on the move.

Or if you plan to keep heading east on 92 and keep going over the bridge to the east bay and then head north to connect with 80 via 580 we could meet at a Gas Station/Starbucks in Rodeo (this is where a few of us met up last year)

I can be flexible on departure time. Early to beat the bay area traffic? Wait for the rush to be over and leave later?

I am also fine meeting up at the campsite if you and Will would prefer that.

We usually go up through the city. Across 92 and north just seems farther, somehow. I'll let Will chime in with his thoughts...

Regarding Dinner, I am not sure you want to eat my cooking :o

I have not really put much thought into my menu for the meals yet, but I guess I should, this trip is right on top of us :eek:

Didn't mean to put you on the spot. We can keep it informal and see what evolves.

I have my new Roof top Tent on top of the truck now:D I need to get organized this weekend.

Neat! Anxious to see it and compare.

Later ...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE caravan, I'm flexible, lot's of options, all depends on coordinating departure time

I have the furthest distance to travel thus need to start first, say around 9:30AM

I could go up Hwy1 from my house to HMB then leave with Brian, one less pickup along the way. Or we could rendezvous say 680/880 area. Basically I would need to adjust my departure time accordingly

I was initially planning the following route

Aptos -> Hwy1 -> Hwy17 -> Hwy680 -> Hwy880 -> Hwy505 -> Hwy5 -> Hwy299 -> Hwy395

------------

side note, I dropped off shrek at Cerrones on Friday for pre-trip inspection. Mainly for a front end alignment, track bar replacement, fluids check, rear shock eye bushing replacement, etc. I may have a transfer case issue, although nothing that can't wait till after the trip, more later

Brian, No worries, I did not feel you put me on the spot.

I have been extremely busy at work, I had one person on vacation for the last two weeks and another called in sick for a few. I have been doing three peoples work at critical time in the project.

I have just come up for air and realize that the trip is next week. Which is really great as I need the break, however I now realize I other than get the RTT I have not planned anything else. Well it looks like I know what I am doing with my Fathers Day:D

What do you think about sharing evening meal items? We are planning to bring several things we will share out: Chinese chicken salad, ribs, beef stew.

Thoughts?

without Carlos or Enrique we're going to be lost.... ;)

actually we can pull resources and develop a menu along the way.

My tenative meal plan is

Mornings; Hot coffee, banana, juice, pastry, simple (can grill sausages)

Lunch; deli sandwich, chips, pre-made macaroni salad

Dinner 1; Barbeque skirt steak (can do enough for 8 people), stove top potatoes, grilled zucinni and bell peppers, tossed salad

Dinner 2; Barbeque chicken (4 large breasts at a time), stove top rice, corn on the cob, tossed salad

Dinner 3; Brauts (about 12 at a time), beans, tossed salad

Dinner 4; Barbeque Tri-tip (can do two for 8 people), beans, tossed salad

Dinner 5; ????

Hey wow! We have another truck signed up. Roy Marco and his P-38. Roy, are you out there? Good to have you along. As you can see we're discussing caravan and food ideas. What are your druthers?? Chime in with your thoughts.

Will, I see Shrek (denim jacket and steel toed work boots) got the nod. Cool, a D1 along to pull us out. What ever works for you as far as a caravan goes. If your planned route is better for you than coming up the coast (I'd guess it would be), we can meet along the way. There is a rest stop on I-5 just north of where it I-505 comes in that is on the way. And I usually have to stop there anyway.:D I can pick up Leigh on the way through the City and we can meet you there. Just have to get the timing figured out.

As far as food goes, I think breakfasts and lunches each on their own. One idea for dinners would be for everyone to bring at least one thing to share with the group one night be it chips and dips, desert, salad, meat, etc. We will have a rack of ribs and a Chinese chicken salad plus maybe a fresh baked desert or two. One thing for sure, we've never gone hungry on one of these trips!

Gas in RB now around $3.11prem gas. Chevron much higher.

Maybe for group lunch before campout, try the "Brass Rail" a basque style restaurant just outside of Alturas on US395n, on left. It was decent 5yrs ago, when we were there.

Watch out for cattle ON highway.

Hope there's no "Rainbow" gathering in Likely when you're traveling thru.

Thanks for the tips, Rupert. I like Basque food. There are a couple good places in Elko, NV that we usually stop at when we go through there.

Your gas is cheap compared to the SF Bay area where it's $3.40 - $3.60 for premium. Maybe fill the J-cans along there somewhere. :)

At this point I have to officially decline the trip. I'd love to go but the Rover's not up to it and I have the chance to take on some gainful employment for a few days this week which I can't afford to pass up, so the Rover will just have to wait. Plus, I just found out over the weekend that I have a Seadog gig for this coming weekend, so there's a conflict there as well. Next year...

Hi Guys,

I looked at the caravan timing ...

Aptos to I-5 rest stop just north of the I-505 intersection; 160 miles and 2:35 hours.

Half Moon Bay to I-5 rest stop 118 miles and 2 hours.

I-5 rest stop to Cave Lake campground 315 miles and 6:30 hours.

If we pick a desired arrival time at the camp of 6:30, it means we should plan to meet at about 11:00 if we want to allow another hour for rendezvous and stops for gas. So Will would leave about 8:30 and I would leave about 9:00 and meet Leigh on the fly about 9:30.

Comments??

Brian, Can you either send me the account login info or create a shared track page and send me the URL.

I have Spot 4 and will be bringing it. I changed the notifications back to the Club officers from my private trip to New Mexico so it should be good to go.

Here is a summary of the weather forecast along our route:

Friday night and Saturday - Cave Lake CG = 44F/81F Clear

Saturday - Lakeview, OR = 82F Clear

Saturday Night and Sunday - Thomas Creek CG = 44F/83F Clear

Sunday - Malcone Butte = 77F Clear

Sunday night and Monday - Rock Creek CG = 44F/72F Clear

Monday - Winter Ridge = 66F Mostly Sunny

Monday - Christmas Valley = 77F Mostly Sunny

Monday night and Tuesday - Green Mountain CG = 44F/77F Partly Cloudy

Tuesday - Lost Forest = 77F Mostly Sunny

Tuesday night and Wednesday - Glass Buttes = 45F/73F Partly Cloudy

Wednesday - Bend, OR = 77F Mostly Sunny

Wednesday - Redding, CA = 95F Clear

Wednesday - San Francisco = 64F Mostly Sunny

Lookin' good! :):)

To the Oregon Discovery Trail Blazers this year:

Want to wish you all well, and let the adventure begin (you guys leaving tomorrow)

Have a great time.

Last year, Oregon Trail Blazers = 0 vs Dismal Swamp = 1 stuck over night. Hopefully this year Oregon Trail Blazers=1 vs Dismal Swamp=0 :D

And last, have a safe trip to and back!

Ron

Thanks Ron, last minute preparations underway, most important is getting Shrek out of Cerrones today. :eek:

- right rear HD drive flange toast, replacement 2 months back order, temporary installed

- right ear shock eye bushings replaced

- track bar replaced

- front end alignment

- right rear trailing link bushing replaced

- front drive shaft replacement ???

Archived