Out of the loop for a while

Jantiz

Thanks Ron. Yes, preparations are underway here as well. Truck is about half loaded and I'm still rounding stuff up. Seems like it gets worse every trip!

On top: tent, jerry cans, table, chairs, crate of firewood, three antennas.

In the back: fridge, recovery gear, tools, six crates of stuff, potty, stove, clothes, laptop. charcoal, sleeping bags, fire pan, awning poles.

In the front: three radios, two GPSs, maps, and oh yeah, driver and passenger!

Memo to self: Check tire pressure :D

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I turned mine on for a few minutes and got two reports from my back yard. Will is home now - but is Shrek?? Thanks for setting this up, Gary.

Has Leigh mentioned anything about APRS tracking? I don't know if he has had a chance to get it working. It's unlikely there will be any coverage in the area where we'll be since a map on aprs.org is showing a big blank space there. I did find four repeaters that should cover much of the area we will be in.

Gary is your noise on 40 meters still bad. I don't know if you want to try another schedule but I'm game. This weekend is ARRL Field Day so Saturday night is probably a bad time. 7180 KHz or the next clear spot below that at 2.5 KHz intervals. Maybe 7:00 PM since the sun doesn't set until 8:45 or so.

Has Leigh mentioned anything about APRS tracking? I don't know if he has had a chance to get it working. It's unlikely there will be any coverage in the area where we'll be since a map on aprs.org is showing a big blank space there. I did find four repeaters that should cover much of the area we will be in.

I have had my ARPS working in the past. I will have it on through out the trip and we will see if you guys can track me.

KI6ZHB-9

Gary,

Should I adjust my power to 50 W to improve the odds of getting the ARPS to find a digirepeater?

I would stay around 10Watts so as not to kill your battery when stopped. If your radio is not running when the motor is off, then yes, run at higher power. Also what interval is your radio set to beacon at?

I have had my ARPS working in the past. I will have it on through out the trip and we will see if you guys can track me.

KI6ZHB-9

Gary,

Should I adjust my power to 50 W to improve the odds of getting the ARPS to find a digirepeater?

Noise is horrible, no way we could chat unless I installed the radio in my truck and that isn't going to happen in a week. Next time we'll make it work.

I turned mine on for a few minutes and got two reports from my back yard. Will is home now - but is Shrek?? Thanks for setting this up, Gary.

Gary is your noise on 40 meters still bad. I don't know if you want to try another schedule but I'm game. This weekend is ARRL Field Day so Saturday night is probably a bad time. 7180 KHz or the next clear spot below that at 2.5 KHz intervals. Maybe 7:00 PM since the sun doesn't set until 8:45 or so.

Noise is horrible, no way we could chat unless I installed the radio in my truck and that isn't going to happen in a week. Next time we'll make it work.

No problem, Gary. I understand the noise is really frustrating and not a lot you can do about it.

Here's a link to Leigh's tracking page on aprs.fi: http://aprs.fi/?call=ki6zhb&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600 Please add it to the APRS links page. Thanks!

Hey Rupert,

It’s 12:15pm; just got a msg from Will; he is trying to get a hold of you; perhaps lunch @ RB. Call his cell 831-818-1699.

Let me know when you get this email and got a hold of Will.

C yah!

wow, what fun so far

we have set up camp at Round Mountain, plenty of cell coverage

pictures will follow shortly

everyone is fine, all trucks running great, weather is spectacular, dismal swap no match for Shrek :D

first leg of our journey

Home to Cave Lake campground

Dismal swamp and second leg to Crane Mountain, Lake View and current Camp at Round Mountain to follow

hurry up you can make the last 3 nights of our trip

stay tuned

post-4-142414633982_thumb.jpg

post-4-142414633988_thumb.jpg

post-4-142414633994_thumb.jpg

post-4-142414634001_thumb.jpg

post-4-142414634007_thumb.jpg

post-4-142414634015_thumb.jpg

post-4-142414634022_thumb.jpg

post-4-142414634028_thumb.jpg

Great to hear Oregon Trail Blazers. Especially Dismal Swamp = 0. :)

Eating breakfast right now and enjoying the pictures thus far and updates.

Saw the night camp fire beverage there! :D Nice.

SPOT tracking is looking good. Also received SPOT Checking-in last night that all is well.

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

back to reality

at Mom's in shady cove, oregon

very tired,,,, after shower and debrief family back at home, time to turn in

long drive home tomorow, pictures to follow later

I would like to say the trip was an overall success, great weather, excellent food, scenery, trail breaking, tree clearing, twists and turns, lost luggage :eek: (more to follow), crack in the ground, Dericks Cave, volcanic areas, potential new camping sites, etc.........

Brian, simply your trail leadership is second to none, thank you.... We all have so much to learn from your example.... :)

Leigh, your trail and camping skills are very sharp..... look forward to our next adventure and free guinness ;)

Will, Let Leigh know nothing has come through his SPOT link that he sent me. No location reports at all.

Gary,

Not sure what happened with my SPOT device. Good news is we had redundancy in the form of two other SPOT's and my ARPS.

ARPS seemed to work well for a couple of days and then had trouble finding other stations to hop from. I did get an Airplane one day:cool:

One day when I see you it would be great if you could take a look at my settings and see if they are optimum.

Thanks!

Back in SF. I had a great time, Will, Nancy and our fearless leader Brian were great traveling and camping companions.

We defeated the Dismal Swamp, well actually the Forest Service had repaired the trail in the areas we had been stuck with new culvert pipes and we had no snow to deal with. We found the spot David and I camped on the snow and visited the area the rest of the group spent the night.

Unfortunately I left earlier than the rest of the group as I found out yesterday afternoon that my Dog has a Mass in her chest between inside her ribcage. We thought we would have more info from the Vet today and wanted to be home to help and scratch her belly. Should know more tomorrow.

Anyhow I left the group around 3 or 4 PM yesterday and got a few hours of the journey behind me and camped just off Highway 97 in a US Forest Campground a few miles north of Klamath.

It made for an easy drive today. Dealing with dog, unpacking and catching up with the family

I will post some pictures tomorrow so you can all see what you missed.:D

Archived