Out of the loop for a while

Jantiz

If we have one then we won't need it. :D Probably the chainsaw would be best but I'll let you choose. We did chop our way through a 10 inch tree last year.

http://www.pbase.com/brhunt/image/98240029.jpg

Aren't you glad you took a Mexican with you last year??:P:p:p

Hahaha, it's okay. i checked with him before i posted it... couldn't resist

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha, ha ... Yes, Carlos' new ax got a work out and so did he. We all took a turn, didn't just watch him work!

Oh, that's the Cal Trans approach, one person does the work while 6 or so stand and watch :eek: :D

I won't ask you guys to save a spot on the trip for me. But I will say that I am planning on coming.

I just can't commit, and may not be able to for a little while. We have a short sale offer on a house, and we will need to do a complete renovation on the house before we get to move in. Our current house will need to have a little work done on it, and we will need to find a good renter for it. If the sale goes through, all of this will happen in the space of 2-4 weeks, and it looks like it might land right at the end of June.... I may know more by the 4th, but only if the house is NOT auctioned on that day. If it is, we will basically be done. If it is not, we will be placed in a holding pattern with the bank, and may not find out for another month or so.

Anyway, I will get back on here after the 4th and re-evaluate.

If we have one then we won't need it. :D Probably the chainsaw would be best but I'll let you choose. We did chop our way through a 10 inch tree last year.

http://www.pbase.com/brhunt/image/98240029.jpg

Yes, the Cal Trans technique here. Notice the two supervisors (me wearing the hat - watcthing Carlos; and Leigh).

Actually, we did take turns on the axe!

Great trip!

OK, here's the list so far:

Definite:

Brian and Nancy (HMBRover) DII + winch

Leigh (SFDisco) DII + winch

Will (Gotrovr) LR3

Roy (RMarco) P38

Maybe's:

Dan (TigerDan) RRC + winch?

Ben (Guest) DII

Interest from:

Andy and Cyndy (NCLR121) DII

Mark (GriffSC) D-110??

Anyone else? Still plenty of spots left. This has always been a great trip to get away from it all and into the woods for some great Rovering. :)

OK, here's the list so far:

Definite:

Brian and Nancy (HMBRover) DII + winch

Leigh (SFDisco) DII + winch

Will *Gotrovr) LR3

Maybe's:

Dan (TigerDan) RRC + winch?

Ben (Guest) DII

Interest from:

Andy and Cyndy (NCLR121) DII

Mark (GriffSC) D-110??

Anyone else? Still plenty of spots left. This has always been a great trip to get away from it all and into the woods for some great Rovering. :)

Hi Folks going to the Oregon Trip or thinking about it,

Ditto what Brian said.

For me the past 2 years have been great trips/experience. Highly recommend it if you have the avail time off/funds, but on the fence.

Looks we have veteran Oregon Trail blazers Brian, Leigh, Ben, Dan and others ; and Will taking his new LR3 on this trip. Very cool cats.

Got my toes wet with getting to know the CT 110 on the Oregon Trail 07. Same goes with when I first got the 2004 Discovery II for the Oregon Trail 08. Looking to do the same for my RRC in 09.

Hate to say this, but I am not going to the Oregon Trail this year. I will surely miss out on this trip with great said companies like Brian, Leigh, etc... but my outlook is "there is next year".

Besides my RRC is not ready, I have limited time off this year and have to spread my time off with just a few trips this year.

Already spent 2 weeks in Hawaii in February; another 1 week planned in December; leaves me with 1 week to spread on LR trips such as Shaver Lake Snow Run (not an NCLR trip this year but took Friday off), coming Shaver Lake Summer Run (need to take Friday off to be first @ camp), and savings remaining week days off for the Rubicon trip.

Sorry for the detailed post, but as you can see, it pains me and feel it deserves a good explaination for missing out on the Oregon trip 09.

You all have a safe trip! Beware of the Dismal Swap :D

Yes Ron I totally understand..... Last year I told myself next year. Next year is here, so here I go.... It is time for me to put to good use my hard work and personal expense in this hobby.

I had a chance to discuss this trip with Carlos at Mexxi's last Monday. He recommended that I take my D1 instead of the LR3. Besides, Shrek loves playing in a Swamp ;)

As for our return after the trip. I plan on stopping by to visit Mom at Shady Cove (40 miles east of Medford). From her house it's an 8 hour drive along mostly Interstate 5. An open invitation exists for those returning to Cali to tag along. A hot shower is always nice before a long drive home. :D

It's like trying to make up my mind with what to wear for the occasion; sport fleece pull over with athletic hiking boots or Denim jacket with steel toed work boots :)

Brian only has one choice, Orange jump suit :eek:

Thanks Leigh!

And guys (Brian/Leigh/Will) I'd be willing to be one of your SPOT contacts.

Turn on tracking, so we can see ur progress, and should there be any delays, feel free to press "help" or 911.

And use check-ins when you guys settle in camp before the end of the day.

Hopefully won't have any emergencies.

Won't be there but in spirit and ground support behind the computer/desk.

C yah!

Ron,

You will be missed.

Will,

David took his LR3 last year and it did great. I think he had tires,sliders and winch etc. Not sure if you have started your build yet.

Hello NCLRers,

If you happen to stop in Red Bluff Thurs or Tues, dropby and see me. Work address 222 So. Main St. If late,maybe dinner?

Ron and Will still have my phone numbers?

FYI Gas prices here today 6/10/09: $2.85reg, $3.05prem.

Rupert

Ron, thanks for the kind words. Sorry you won't make it but I fully understand. You have to keep some vacation time for Hawaii, that's for sure.

Thanks for the reminder about Spot. I need to reconfigure the notification for the trip to include normal club sponsor list. I think you are on the notification list but I'll make sure. Thanks.

Have fun with the RRC!

Ron, thanks for the kind words. Sorry you won't make it but I fully understand. You have to keep some vacation time for Hawaii, that's for sure.

Thanks for the reminder about Spot. I need to reconfigure the notification for the trip to include normal club sponsor list. I think you are on the notification list but I'll make sure. Thanks.

Have fun with the RRC!

NP Brian. Glad to help out.

Also if you, Will or Leigh are going to be visiting Mexxis before the Oregon tripm, Enrique had offer the use of their pull pal.

Came in handy @ the dismal swap; no trees or natural anchor in sight, and had to use a ground anchor to pull us thru long patch of deep slippery snow last year.

Couple of things

1) Pull-pal; this is a must according to Carlos. My LR3 will not be ready today so I won't make Mexxi's tonight as planned...... Does anyone in our group have one? If not, another good reason for a side trip to visit Mexxi's

2) SPOT; I plan on activating the 5th SPOT device for this trip. Ron, I'll coordinate the setup with you.

3) Trip Blog Report; I plan on uploading trip details and pictures if near a cell site along the way using my laptop's broadband access.

I agree on the pull-pal. I PMed Enrique so he'll bring it to Mexxi's. Will, I can swing by and pick it up unless you're headed that way anyway.

A near real-time BLOG would be fun. Good idea. There should be some opportunities for cell connection around Lakeview, possibly Paisley and Christmas Valley.

I'll also have the HF ham radio along. Gary, are you game to try a schedule again?

I checked with the Modoc National Forest ranger station to get the status of the trails through Dismal Swamp. She said that there is still some snow in the area and the trail through Dismal Swamp is currently impassable. She did indicate that they are expecting very warm temperatures in the area over the weekend so the snow may melt enough that the trail will be passable. She suggested calling back next week for another status, which I will do.

Cave Lake campground is showing closed on their website but she said the campground is usable but that the water is probably not turned on since it is still freezing at night up there.

So it sounds like we are pretty close to being good-to-go for the start of the trip.

The area along Winter Ridge above Summer Lake had a lot of snow early in the year but the ranger at Paisley said that it's pretty much gone due to the rains and warmer temperatures they have been having. Part of the trip could be rainy, though so bring your rain gear!

Are you guys interested in a caravan from the Bay Area? MapQuest sez that New Pine Creek (our Hwy 395 turnoff) is about 4:27 hours from Half Moon Bay or about 7 hours - probably 8 hours given gas and rest stops.

Meeting spots? Departure times?

Also ...

What do you think about sharing evening meal items? We are planning to bring several things we will share out: Chinese chicken salad, ribs, beef stew.

Thoughts?

Hey Brian,

I could be up for a caravan on the way up. Not sure which way you plan to head out. I just did the Map quest route from HMB to New Pine Creek and it took my through SF. I live in SF if your heading that way up 280 you coud give me a call on the HAM as you get close to SF and I can jump right on 280 and rendevous on the move.

Or if you plan to keep heading east on 92 and keep going over the bridge to the east bay and then head north to connect with 80 via 580 we could meet at a Gas Station/Starbucks in Rodeo (this is where a few of us met up last year)

I can be flexible on departure time. Early to beat the bay area traffic? Wait for the rush to be over and leave later?

I am also fine meeting up at the campsite if you and Will would prefer that.

Regarding Dinner, I am not sure you want to eat my cooking :o

I have not really put much thought into my menu for the meals yet, but I guess I should, this trip is right on top of us :eek:

I have my new Roof top Tent on top of the truck now:D I need to get organized this weekend.

Archived