Alrighty folks! August is HERE - and there isn't a better time to head back to a club favorite - White Rock Lake.

What: Overnight Monthly Offroad Gathering - Interested in joining the club but want to meet the folks and check it out first? This is the trip for you! Head on out and say hello and hang with us for a weekend (and of course, great lakeside camping)

Where: White Rock Lake (North West of Truckee) - Download and follow the GPS Track Attached below outlining the route from Truckee to the Lake for Google will lead you astray.

When: Friday, August 9th - Sunday, August 11th 

Who: Hopefully You!

Trip Overview:

• Easy trails, all stock trucks are welcome, the roads can get rough, just watch your speed and you will be fine.
  • Activities - hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing (license needed), lakeside relaxing and forest road trails.
  • Sunday, I may plan to exit to I-80 through the pass to Bowman Lake and then down from there.
  • Itinerary to be posted soon!

image.png

truckee-to-white-rock-lake.gpx

One of my favourite camp spots. I hope to make it next weekend.

I’m not sure if I will go Friday afternoon or early Saturday. The traffic towards Tahoe can be a killer on Friday evenings. 

Note that there were lots of mosquitos during the last trip. This was partially due to needing to camp nearer the marshy area away from where we usually camp.  Hopefully we can snag our regular location but I would bring bug repellent anyway. 

here are some photos taken over a few years of visiting this wonderful location  

We hope to see you there  

IMG_8753.jpeg

IMG_9029.jpeg

IMG_9015.jpeg

IMG_9146.jpeg

IMG_9119.jpeg

As of now, we are planning to leave Friday morning. There is a chance we will miss this trip if we cannot get the homeowners insurance debacle taken care of by the trip start... I'll make sure to update if I need to cede trip leadership.

Well, unfortunately we are out for this one, still working towards resolution with insurance and the homefront needs tending too. There is light at the end of the tunnel though!

I’ll be heading out from Cupertino early on Saturday morning, aiming for a 6 am departure. I hope to be there before lunchtime. 

I suggest following the red arrow in the map below and aiming for the area marked in green, overlooking the dam wall. If this is busy, I suggest the nearby area in yellow. The marked campsite on the map has had some mosquitoes on a recent trip while I’ve had very good luck at the places marked. 

IMG_0948.jpeg

Unfortunately, we will have to bow out of the trip. Kids caught nasty Covid somewhere. First day of school was yesterday 🧐

It’s a bummer. We were looking forward to visiting the lake, and seeing meteor showers.

Wishing you no mosquitoes!

White Rock Lake did not disappoint this year. We had a small turn out of Rupert, Chris Solis and family and myself and Jason. Chris had snagged an awesome campsite, having got to the Lake earlier in the week. 

The kids played in the water all day and even paddled / swam across to the other side. I did a lot of sitting on the lake shore, listening to music and napping. 

The night was clear and a few meteorites could be seen along with many Starlink satellites streaming across the sky in a long line. 

The weather was perfect and only a couple of mosquitoes bothered us all night. 

Next time, I will stay for more nights. 

IMG_7300.jpeg

IMG_7315.jpeg