Now Canceled - Bowman Lake Snow Run March 23-24

THIS TRIP HAS NOW BEEN CANCELLED

First a Blizzard, now 100% chance of rain for Saturday, with 1/2 inch expected.  Sunday will have rain as well.   This week has been beautiful and sunny here in the Sierra (to melt snow), so that much rain will turn the trail/road into a big mess.

A group is headed to Moab next weekend as an alternative trip if others would like to join.

Howdy fellas! It's time to start talking March MORG! (Monthly-Off-road-Gathering)

For those that missed out on the Shaver Snow Run you have a chance for some pow hunting in a couple weeks as we are headed up to Bowman lake. ; ).

Of course, we will have to see what the weather has in store for us.

When: March 2nd and 3rd  

What: Bowman Lake Snow Run (MORG)  - overnight camping for folks that wish.

Where: Bowman Lake 

Things to know:

•  Roads are unpaved fire roads mostly - be prepared for snow coverage.
  • Winter Camping - It may be cold!! Come prepared. Even if you are not planning on spending the night make sure cold weather gear is packed just in case...
  • This is a MORG - all Rover owners and all vehicle models are welcome to join! If you have a friend that is a rover-head and wants to get a taste for the NCLR club life this would be a good trip. 
  • Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

For anyone that wants to do even more reading a few applicable 7.5 minute maps:

• Washington
  • Graniteville
  • Alleghany
  • English Mountain

CA_Washington_2000.pdf 45981_English_Mountain_CA_24K_2000.pdf CA_Alleghany_287896_2000_24000_geo.pdf CA_Graniteville_102257_2000_24000_geo.pdf Yuba ranger district MVUM south, back.pdf Yuba ranger district MVUM, front (bowman Lake area).pdf

If folks are planning on going please post up. 

I've got a maintenance list (and several shorts) on Snowflake a mile long and may be at risk of missing this one. 

That said, if we have low attendance we can certainly switch this to another weekend in March.

I would like to come, but I'm not 100% sure. Noticed that one of the D2 CV boots has a bit of a rip and needs replacing. There are a couple of other things to do on the car too. If I manage to make all of this done, I'm in.

Please double confirm if you still plan on attending so that we can decide if we need to push back the MORG due to weather.

Hello Folks a few important updates and need for discussion.

1. Snowflake is going to be taken down for maintenance this weekend, so Mike will be leading this trip. (While Snowflake could make the trip, I should probably quit driving it until I have brake, taillights, and indicators restored....)

2. There is a significant storm likely to drop a bunch of snow over Bowman this week/weekend. Forecast for nearby Soda Springs (similar elevation) is posted below.

image.png

This storm should lead to an incredible stuck fest, if you can make it up there. 😂. However, if the contingent of folks attending dwindles we will reschedule for later in the month.

Please double confirm if you still plan on attending so that we can decide if we need to push back the MORG due to weather.

1 hour ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Hello Folks a few important updates and need for discussion.

1. Snowflake is going to be taken down for maintenance this weekend, so Mike will be leading this trip. (While Snowflake could make the trip, I should probably quit driving it until I have brake, taillights, and indicators restored....)

2. There is a significant storm likely to drop a bunch of snow over Bowman this week/weekend. Forecast for nearby Soda Springs (similar elevation) is posted below.

image.png

This storm should lead to an incredible stuck fest, if you can make it up there. 😂. However, if the contingent of folks attending dwindles we will reschedule for later in the month.

I am still not 100% for this weekend. CV is still out and I need to figure out what I’m going to do with the winch. If I do sort these things out, I'm willing to try out the snow storm...

I can do next weekend, but not the 23/24.

Let’s see what others say.

Not looking good for the trip this weekend.  Current weather forecast had a blizzard warning (not watch) from Thursday through Sunday.  Expect 1-4 ft  of snow above 3000 ft, 5 to 10 above 5000 ft.  Washington CA is at 2600ft, Bowman lake is 5500 ft.

The blizzard warning is on the weather.com forecast for Washington CA.  I do think we should reschedule,  A stuckfest on the trail is one thing, people getting stopped on Highway 20 or I80 would be something else.

26 minutes ago, Mffoster said:

The blizzard warning is on the weather.com forecast for Washington CA.  I do think we should reschedule,  A stuckfest on the trail is one thing, people getting stopped on Highway 20 or I80 would be something else.

Agreed. I'll update the main post. We can discuss when we want to reschedule during the board meeting and re-post and update tonight.

• Mr.BlueSky changed the title to **TO BE RESCHEDULED** March MORG - Bowman Lake Snow Run
  • Mffoster changed the title to Rescheduled MORG - Bowman Lake Snow Run now March 23-24
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mffoster said:

Still looking forward to Bowman this next weekend.  Weather looks reasonable, who else is up for the trip?

I’d like to go. Will know for sure in a couple of days. Will post then.

We are unfortunately out... but will live vicariously through the photos! Hopefully we can make another weekend out there... need more snow time!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the trip. Was looking forward to it, but life intervened...

It's a bummer. There should be some new snow on Saturday.