2024 Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run! - February 17-19

*** Photos Link Below ***

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9iexe4RJE72Weenp9

*** Original Post Below***

Hello folks! It is that time of year again where we head up the mountains and see how far we will make it along the bald mountain trail!

It is a bit too early to make any predictions as to if we will make it to the top, but nonetheless, it will be an excellent time!

What: Annual Shaver Lake Bald Mountain Trail snow run - open to all rovers of any kind.

• We always hope for deep snow, and usually snow runs often are uneventful damage-less fun! 
  • Of course, there is always risks of body damage from ruts, whoops, and icy trails.

Where: We will plan on dispersed camping this year off of Rock Creek Road and we will be targeting this location as our campsite: 

37.07678910672912, -119.17730391317887

When: February 17th-19th (Saturday, Sunday, Monday)

Communications:  146.460 MHz - cell service may or may not be available so make sure to bring a radio. Miles' Cell 402.741.0231

Make sure to pack for cold snowy conditions - be prepared! Any questions please feel free to ask.

Attendees:

• Miles, Theresa, and Henry (Trip Leader)
  • Lutz
  • Sasha
  • Mike and Leigh Anne
  • Oliver
  • Colin
  • LR4HD
  • Paul Ring

Additional Information:

Bay Area Convoy Details:

We will plan on the main trail run to occur on Sunday. This gives folks the Saturday to make it up to the camping area. As this event is held on President's day weekend, many may have Monday off of work and school. I'll be trying to get up there by Friday night to ensure we have a site.

Here is some video from past events to get everyone exited!

Vehicle Requirements:

• Chains - chains may be required on the way to camp if CalTrans has chain controls in effect. However, AT / MT tires and 4WD are typically allowed even when R2 chain controls are in place. Plan accordingly.
    • It is recommended you install chains prior to hitting the road if you unfamiliar with them. Check for clearance to all components - brake lines, electrical etc.
  • Tires - all vehicles should have Mud Terrain or All-Terrain tires fitted and a full size spare. Expect to air down at the trail-head.
  • Recovery Points - vehicles should have points in front and rear - expect to get a yank!
  • Other great gear:
    • Fire Extinguisher
    • Hi-Lift or other jacking equivalent suitable for your vehicle.
    • Snow Shovel
    • First Aid Kit
    • Repair tools and spares
    • Tire Pump / Compressor
    • Emergency blankets / water /food

Clothing:

• Pack warm layers
  • Pack warm bags
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen are recommended as it may be snowy and sunny!

Bring firewood! We will burn it all!

• 2 weeks later...

I had hopes that mabey the rover gods would smile but the cards didn't line up. Last year was a stuck fest but alot of fun, I hope everyone has a good time. Put a log on the campfire, drink a beer , and get inconveniently stuck atleast once for me. Looking forward to the pictures and stories.

2 hours ago, Elherbinator said:

We won’t be going on the snow run, but we will be renting a cabin on Dinkey Creek Rd from Sunday till Thursday. So hit me up if you guys are grabbing lunch or dinner in town.

IMG_5078.jpeg

Will do!

4 hours ago, lutz said:

Does anyone have an open seat I have a friend that wants to go but he wants to bring his son. 

I’ll have one seat for the trail, if none of my kids go. I’ll know by the mid-week.

On 2/11/2024 at 4:30 PM, SDS said:

I’ll have one seat for the trail, if none of my kids go. I’ll know by the mid-week.

10 hours ago, ColinB said:

I will have seats available too.  

Is the plan to do pizza after wheeling?  Trying to plan meals.

Right on I'll let him know . Now I just got to find a place so you can park his car but I think there's a little parking lot on the highway to the trail

11 hours ago, ColinB said:

I will have seats available too.  

Is the plan to do pizza after wheeling?  Trying to plan meals.

I'd say if we get off trail at a decent time this could be easily do-able