December 2023 MORG - Xmas trees and potential snow run

It's time of the year to plan our Xmas tree run!

Planning for Saturday, December 2nd,  the tree permits go on sale 11/7 and can sell out quickly.  

We'll be in the Truckee River corridor again this year as last year went really well.

Here's the link to secure a permit.

https://www.recreation.gov/tree-permits/b2ce4e36-ebd2-11ea-b83f-6e0e43d29f74

The plan is to meet in Truckee at the Donner Creek Brewing Company,  they open around 11 AM.  

Thinking we'll head out to trailhead around 1 p.m. and it's just a mile down the road to the area. 

Here's the link to the tree-cutting area.

https://goo.gl/maps/rAnJd85pMC8H6xLb6

Now the roads go back for a ways and drops you back out onto the 89,  we'll see how many people feel like exploring up the road.

For the most part, it's used at this time to access the cutting areas, but it is an unplowed forest service road.

It's the mountain side so the kids had lots of run sledding down the hills and expect more of the same if we have snow.

B22A0BEE-30B6-45CB-A877-117DFA932B1E.jpg

CapturedbyGregBodene-09206.jpg052649A5-F887-4AF5-815A-1B32D8A0F5AE.jpg6296DE99-2A6F-4DBA-935D-F9865D8B037E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little heads up,  Robert has graciously accepted my request to run the event this year.

I'm really bummed as I really enjoy this one, however, I've come down with an illness and it's best for me to stay at sea level. 

I'm looking forward to hearing the stories, a little bummed it looks like a dirt road adventure vs a snowy one.

I had already purchased a tree permit so if you haven't yet let me know and I'll email you mine or if you want a second tree.

Cheers!

Hello all. 

We will be changing the date of this event to Saturday to accommodate the most people. The new date is tomorrow, Dec 2 nd. 

As per the original plan, let’s aim to meet at the Donner Creek Brewing company for lunch and aim to head out to the trail at 1pm. The brewery opens at 11am and we should be there soon after that. 

At this stage we have positive responses from the following:

Nick Kohlmeyer 

Gabriel Wocker

myself (Robert Dingli)

I’ll probably take the L322 and so we shouldn’t be seeking too much trouble  

Please feel free to call me for any issues and let me know directly if you intend to join us and aren’t on this list  

Leaving South Bay now. ETA at the brewery 11.20-30

There’s a suggestion to head out to get the trees and then have lunch. Unless otherwise contacted, we will aim to meet at the brewery and head to the trailhead as soon the three confirmed participants have met.