Annual Snow run, President's day weekend

Were definitely hoping to make it over the hill for this,I know snow changes everything but how tuff are the trails? The reason I ask is its about 7 hours from home for us so that's about 8 days in a series but if our classic or lr3 can handle it that will be alot nicer drive. Thanks

I do not anticipate making it to the top this year. It is hard to guess the trail conditions, but I imagine that it will be tracked up pretty decently by then and allow us to move efficiently. Half the adventure will be just getting to the trailhead. The road leading to the trailhead will be relatively flat, but as much snow as the trail. The trail itself has some decent climbs. RRC’s and LR3’s will be in attendance, so you won’t be slowing down the group. I’d choose a comfortable ride with big tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just told that I’ll get stuck regardless and it’s to be expected. It’s kind of the point lol. So I’m going in my LR3.

Getting stuck vehicles unstuck is an inevitable part of any snow run. It is important to mitigate that as much as possible though, otherwise it can become an incredibly frustrating day. Making sure to have proper recovery gear, driving strategy, and airing down are key to keeping moving. The biggest issue people run into is not understanding how to air down especially when weighted down with kitted our vehicles. Be prepared to go lower than you’ve ever gone before, much lower. I think the key psi you get good squish is about 3-5. Getting down to 15 or so won’t help much. If a bead pops, it pops. It’s usually not too hard to get back seated. One trip I popped maybe 5 or 6 beads but I had rim issues going on. Got them all back seated without much issue tho

Reminder to everybody attending the snow run. It is 2021, so make sure to have your membership renewed as this is a club run for members. Your membership privileges on the forum last another few weeks (I think) from 2020, but a current membership is required for club trips and functions. Membership renewal can be found here:

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/store/

And it only works if you are already logged in btw

A bit about this trip-

Most of you have done this run before as we've been doing it for 10+ years now.  This year is a bit different with Camp Edison being temporarily closed but the rest still holds true.

We can't predict the weather but given what we've had just this last week I expect this will be a pretty heavy snow year.  I'd say it's only 25% chance we make it to the top.  Dinkey Creek road is a paved and maintained road any you should have no trouble there in any vehicle.  The turn off to Rock Creek road is where we normally air down and the challenges can start.  This is a gravel fire road that in the dry would be passable by any car.  But as it's not maintained we have found anywhere from a few inches to 5'+ of snow on it.  Some years we have to take several attempts just to blast through the berms thrown up by the plows on Dinkey Creek.  I don't think this year will be that bad but we won't know until we're actually there.   Our current plan is to head in to one of the wide open areas a short distance from the start and make camp there. 

You should expect to get stuck at some point.  It's part of snow wheeling.  You need solid recovery points front and rear and full recovery gear including a shovel.  If you have a winch, test it now and make sure it's working.   You may also want to review safe recovery practice at least mentally before heading up as you should expect to see everything from winching to kinetic ropes to maxtracs in action.  If you bring your kids or pets, keep an eye on them during recoveries.

Come prepared to spend a full day on the trail.  Even if we don't get very far you can expect to be in and out of the truck often and in snow that could easily be waist deep in places.  Boots, gloves, gators, etc.  You'll also want to bring lunch as we will be out all day.  We typically get off the trail about sunset before heading into town for pizza then back to camp.

On the trail you will want to air down more than you normally would for rock wheeling.  Running on deep snow is about maximizing floatation and staying on top.  To that end, running light helps so if you have lots of extra gear on-board that you're unlikely to need for this trip consider leaving it at home.  our Rovers are already on the heavy end but saving a few extra pounds won't hurt.  Also be sure you bring a compressor or air tank to air back up at the end of the day.

For those in late model Rovers, I find the 'snow' mode isn't really best for deep snow.  It seems geared more toward snowy roads than seriously deep stuff.  I often run the 'mud and ruts' mode as it gives a fairly soft launch to help keep from digging in but then allows more wheel speed to help keep moving forward.  I also tend to shut of the DSC as soon as I get on the trail.  Too often I've found the electronic nannies kill throttle right when I wanted just a bit more.  (my experience here is in an LR3 so as they say, YMMV)

Snow conditions can change radically as the day wears on.  In some conditions you can creep slowly and let the tires bite and find traction.  In others you need wheel speed to sling snow out of the treads.  What worked on the way in may not work on the way out as the day warms.  Experience and trial and error are the only real way to know what will work best.  And this is how you get that experience!

One key thing to keep in mind - As you are working your way through the snow if the truck stops moving forward don't keep spinning the tires!  You'll only dig yourself in deeper.  You can literally feel the truck stop moving forward and start moving down in some cases.  Down is bad.

Since this is a holiday weekend and one of the few Sierra trails open in winter, it's likely we'll run into other traffic.  If they're faster than us, we'll let them by.  It's also probably we'll get stuck behind somebody at some point.  There's little we can do but sit back and relax.  If they want, we may offer to help but you never know who or what you'll find - courtesy is really the only option even if they're less than courteous.   Most other wheelers are pretty understanding but try to do what you can to make things easier for everybody anyway.  

There is no cell reception on the trail.  As normal, we'll be on 146.460 for trail coms.  I'll bring a couple extra hand held radios I can loan out if you don't have one in your truck.

There is no cell reception on the trail.  As normal, we'll be on 146.460 for trail coms.  I'll bring a couple extra hand held radios I can loan out if you don't have one in your truck.

Reminder to everybody attending the snow run. It is 2021, so make sure to have your membership renewed as this is a club run for members. Your membership privileges on the forum last another few weeks (I think) from 2020, but a current membership is required for club trips and functions. Membership renewal can be found here:

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/store/

And it only works if you are already logged in btw

Forum privileges stopped Feb 1. Ask me how I know.

I'm definitely in (Beth likely not sure to the whole snow aspect)... but I'll bring Mellie and maybe umbrella 🦮... I've also got a couple friends that would like to join (one family in one vehicle) ... anyone have a good land rover disguise for a diesel F250? ... and is it fine if they join?...[club member + guest... or only members?] (Pictured below)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1c2cb3cec5476775ae26783592858ae8.jpg

Edited by bandykins

I'm definitely in (Beth likely not sure to the whole snow aspect)... but I'll bring Mellie and maybe umbrella 🦮... I've also got a couple friends that would like to join (one family in one vehicle) ... anyone have a good land rover disguise for a diesel F250? ... and is it fine if they join?...[club member + guest... or only members?] (Pictured below)

1c2cb3cec5476775ae26783592858ae8.jpg

The club allows a one time guest for trips. So assuming this is his one time, then it would be allowed. I do anticipate him having issues with such a big vehicle with a camper on it. That thing will get stuck often and easily, and unstucking it will be very difficult. We had an experience on a snow run last year to Bowman with a similar vehicle we ran into that was stuck. It took a long time and several vehicles, snatch blocks, anchors, etc to budge it in very shallow snow levels. So ditching the camper may be worthwhile. Serge and Andrew can attest to what unstucking 5 tons is like

The club allows a one time guest for trips. So assuming this is his one time, then it would be allowed. I do anticipate him having issues with such a big vehicle with a camper on it. That thing will get stuck often and easily, and unstucking it will be very difficult. We had an experience on a snow run last year to Bowman with a similar vehicle we ran into that was stuck. It took a long time and several vehicles, snatch blocks, anchors, etc to budge it in very shallow snow levels. So ditching the camper may be worthwhile. Serge and Andrew can attest to what unstucking 5 tons is like

Good point... maybe we keep the big one at camp...

Good point... maybe we keep the big one at camp...

Definitely. In past years my L322 has struggled due to its weight. It’s also amazing hard to pull a stuck heavy vehicle that’s buried in the snow. I’m looking forward to trying the D2 this year with it higher tire patch size to weight ratio.

Definitely. In past years my L322 has struggled due to its weight. It’s also amazing hard to pull a stuck heavy vehicle that’s buried in the snow. I’m looking forward to trying the D2 this year with it higher tire patch size to weight ratio.

After further review, they are out :-)

I'm also looking forward to see how the RRC does vs the LR3 two year ago... :-)

Yeah, even in the dry I wouldn't want to take a full truck camper up Bald Mountain.  It's not an especially challenging trail but that's not a trail rig; it's a dirt road rig.  In the snow he'll sink like a stone.  

No offense - it's a cool rig.  But better as a tow rig/base camp for your Series crawler.  ;)

I spoke to Camp Edison this morning and they said they will be open for the weekend. They are finishing up some plowing and figuring out exactly which sites will be available, but sites will be available for our snow run. She said that hopefully we will be able to reserve spots online later today or tomorrow. I’ll keep checking on their site and will post once I’m able to reserve a spot. So once I have a spot, you should quickly get on their site and grab an adjacent spot. I’ll include a link when it up and running. So rejoice, we will have power, cable tv, and really warm bathrooms!

So Edison is out. Looks like they decided to open up the camp spots, but will be keeping the bathrooms closed for safety . So that is the reason for the “no tent camping”. Honestly, that’s really the only I preferred Edison over dispersed camping anyways, although I know a lot of you like the convenient electricity as well. So we will be keeping the original dispersed camping plans previously outlined in this thread. Sorry for your hopes up earlier, but this was a new development that neither myself or the people I spoke to earlier anticipated. It is a corporate run campground and the decision came down from some faceless and nameless corporate goon who has probably never even been to camp Edison

https://www.elliotthousebandb.com/

Just a heads up for those not wanting to camp this weekend. I believe there are a couple available rooms here. This place showed up on VBRO and AirBNB with 2 available rooms at around $200 per night. They were not previously showing up, so maybe they had a cancellation or something. As far as I can tell they have the only 2 rooms in town, so snatch them up if you don’t want to camp out. Personally I think camping is more fun and will be a great time as it’s a rare opportunity to dispersed camp in the snow with the club, but definitely not for everyone