Spotted!

Jethro

On 8/29/2024 at 9:26 PM, Mr.BlueSky said:

Awesome. How long have they been on the road? Are they only running the Dalton?

Couple months.  Hailing from Vancouver as I recall they roamed through Idaho, Utah and Montana and then back into Canada to the Alcan.  They were planning on taking the Alaska State Ferry back to Bremerton.

Had the inevitable Rover moment:  when they were ready to hit the road the TDI would not start.  Apparently that morning back in Soldotna he put some fuel additive in and this was the first time he had shut it down.  All it would do is turnover for about ten harrowing minutes before it caught, belching out a nice cloud as it did... 

Good thing it did as he claimed to be not very mechanically oriented and I don't need to go into my lack of proficiency in that area here, especially with diesels.

The RV in front of the D90 was ours...

On 9/4/2024 at 11:07 PM, jcb said:

Couple months.  Hailing from Vancouver as I recall they roamed through Idaho, Utah and Montana and then back into Canada to the Alcan.  They were planning on taking the Alaska State Ferry back to Bremerton.

Had the inevitable Rover moment:  when they were ready to hit the road the TDI would not start.  Apparently that morning back in Soldotna he put some fuel additive in and this was the first time he had shut it down.  All it would do is turnover for about ten harrowing minutes before it caught, belching out a nice cloud as it did... 

Good thing it did as he claimed to be not very mechanically oriented and I don't need to go into my lack of proficiency in that area here, especially with diesels.

The RV in front of the D90 was ours...

Sounds like an epic trip - with typical rover shenanigans. Theresa and I have been looking into the Alaskan Marine Highway system pretty heavily over the last couple weeks. I expect there will be a pretty epic (but long) trip planned in the next few years.

It's like a cruise ship but with less amenities, less luxury, more stops, and of course costs more!

So yeah, I'm sold.

8 hours ago, Mr.BlueSky said:

Gotta love a good Mog. 

For sure. This one has a plow attachment for the winter - you can see in the background of this picture. Made me think of the Unimog we saw at this year's Shaver Lake snow run.

image.thumb.jpeg.1b05a0f4c57ee3b96b5d98608a959e83.jpeg

Edited by LR4HD