happy birthday to me

DHappel

Seems like I got a new present for myself.  OK, it was the day after my birthday but I'm still counting it.  

Serge had a line on a possible GDE RRC that was sitting unloved near his place and put me in touch with the owners.  I went out and collected it yesterday.  

20190212_170400-M.jpg

20190212_170416-M.jpg

20190212_172010-M.jpg

20190212_161256-M.jpg

20190212_161246-M.jpg

It appears to be a real GDE, but at the price it's a deal even if it's just a plain RRC.  It's been sitting for at least 3 years but 'ran good when parked'....  As it is the ABS module is out of it so no brakes, the engine will turn over and cough on either but doesn't run, the interior is pretty rough with the driver's seat being trashed, and the paint is shedding clear-coat like a bad sunburn.  

But it appears to be pretty complete, there's no rust, and the body is straight other than a small dent in the front of the hood that looks like something fell on it.  Given the amount of random stuff packed around it in the driveway I'd say that's a real possibility.

For now it's just going to sit until I can make time to mess with it, then I'll work on getting it cleaned up and running.  From there I'll decide what to do with it.  I may hold onto it and make it into a street truck or I may sell it, but I don't think I'll turn this one into a crawler.  No point in doing that with a GDE when I've already got a rougher plain RRC I can hack up if I want to go that route.  I also doubt I'll go for a full-on restoration as that would be a job better left to somebody with more patients than me.

Thanks again for the tip Serge!  (I think!)

O. M. G....! That is awesome!!! What number is it...??? You are sitting on a 100% ROI, my friend...! Happy for you...!!!

It pays to have connections....!!!

--Paul

Thanks guys.  I'm not in a huge rush to get this one sorted as I have several other irons in the fire to deal with first but once it's running and licensed we'll see where it goes.  But I don't expect I'll turn this into a crawler.  Seems a waste to do that to a limited edition truck.  Only time will tell!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks good, Don! Welcome to the family of GDE owners. Since you have the numbered door plaque, that's a good sign that it is indeed a GDE and not a copy. Does it also have the pinpoint leather upholstery? And I believe Doug Lawyer has a list of GDE VINs so you could verify it that way.

I wish mine looked that good, but at least it runs well. Looking forward to getting my body panels swapped out so it's white again. Mine is a nice low number, 092. Yours' isn't far behind.

I'm planning to keep mine pretty original too. It already has a 2" lift and diff guards, I have a set of rock sliders I might put on it. Since I have to replace the tranny I'll go ahead and put an LT230 in it, and I'm still pondering the possibility of swapping in an R380 as I have a good spare and it's so much more fun to drive than an auto. And I may swap in a 4.2 or 4.6 at some point, but other than those mods I'll probably keep it original. Okay, original-appearing...

Archived