last minute trip

I’m sure it’s still smoky. I still want to check it out.

I was South ofGardnerville nvlast week smoky too.

Next week I’ll check north of mt Shasta for clear skies

It wasn’t that bad all weekend. We were there Friday until Monday, and it was only REALLY bad on Saturday. It left a small layer of ash on everything. It was really smoky heading west to 5 as you got close to the Carr fire on our way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure it’s still smoky. I still want to check it out.

I was South ofGardnerville nvlast week smoky too.

Next week I’ll check north of mt Shasta for clear skies

It’s a cool area. The tweakers can be a little annoying. They like to roll in late in their Toyota’s and shoot guns and be loud. Don blames the Toyota’s, but I think it’s the meth 🤷🏻‍♂️ Where you planning to camp? Let me know if you want any suggestions or advice on camping and trails, I’ve explored the area quite a bit the last few years.

Started late,arrived late,had lunch, relaxed a bit then drove home. It was a bad recce on my part b/c of late start plus I followed Gaia route that plotted a “short†cut which was an old unused trail that had “gate keepers†in several spots. A few backups and turn around were performed. Phillbrook Lake aka Reservoir owned by PG&E was a pretty and nice lake for swimming,fishing,boating. The campsite was crowded and booked $25/nite? Lots of quads, bikes that day. Also the lake had private cabins around the lake. No cell service there either.

I’ll have to return another day and explore further to Lotts, Spring Valley, and Morris Lakes. There was a slight smoke haze that day, but it was relatively clear skies. I think anything over 5k altitude is clear skies.

Elherbinator could probably give a better report and pics too!

Is it Me and Chris the only ones with Gaia route mapping problems?

Started late,arrived late,had lunch, relaxed a bit then drove home. It was a bad recce on my part b/c of late start plus I followed Gaia route that plotted a “short” cut which was an old unused trail that had “gate keepers” in several spots. A few backups and turn around were performed. Phillbrook Lake aka Reservoir owned by PG&E was a pretty and nice lake for swimming,fishing,boating. The campsite was crowded and booked $25/nite? Lots of quads, bikes that day. Also the lake had private cabins around the lake. No cell service there either.

I’ll have to return another day and explore further to Lotts, Spring Valley, and Morris Lakes. There was a slight smoke haze that day, but it was relatively clear skies. I think anything over 5k altitude is clear skies.

Elherbinator could probably give a better report and pics too!

Is it Me and Chris the only ones with Gaia route mapping problems?

I have never had any luck trying to use GOS over there. It always tries to direct you to dead ends. The high lakes OHV area turn is right before Philbrook. You take a left at the large intersection that has the big stacks of logs. Then it’s another 20 or 30 minutes to the welcome sign. Lotts lake is pretty much all private property and not worth going to, it’s to the left of welcome sign. You want head right of the sign to Spring Valley and the rest of the trails and lakes. The high lakes area is about 6k feet and still gets plenty of smoke. It’s all free camping up there and there are several good sites at different lakes. Spring valley and long lake has several really nice spots, but it’s popular and can get filled pretty quick. Campbell lake has 1 good one and 1 not so good campsite. Saddle Lake also has 2 campsites, one is ok and one is pretty crappy. Grassy Lake has a campsite that is very secluded and nice for one vehicle. The lake itself has a lot of vegetation and not that useable. Same with Bear Lake. It’s a cool area that you can spend a full weekend wheeling around. Best thing to do is get there early and grab a good campsite, then start wheeling around.

It’s a cool area. The tweakers can be a little annoying. They like to roll in late in their Toyota’s and shoot guns and be loud. Don blames the Toyota’s, but I think it’s the meth ‍♂ Where you planning to camp? Let me know if you want any suggestions or advice on camping and trails, I’ve explored the area quite a bit the last few years.

Don't meth and Toyotas go together?

Regarding Gaia, I don't use it's auto-routing.  I just use it as a map and build my own routes.  The auto-routing only works on open source maps anyway the last time I looked so even though a USFS or USGS map may show a road, if the open source map they're using in the background doesn't have it the auto-routing won't be able to find a way.  Last time I tried it was the Mojave Rd trip and I eventually gave up and did my own routing.

Regarding Gaia, I don't use it's auto-routing.  I just use it as a map and build my own routes.  The auto-routing only works on open source maps anyway the last time I looked so even though a USFS or USGS map may show a road, if the open source map they're using in the background doesn't have it the auto-routing won't be able to find a way.  Last time I tried it was the Mojave Rd trip and I eventually gave up and did my own routing.

Archived