Sending "AOK" to home: satelite, cell?

mirowsky

Looking for advice, experiences, ideas about sending "AOK" to folks at home when offroading. I try to send daily Email or text messages, but often have no service when I try. 

Seen adds for tracking devices and systems. Most devices seem to need cell service with added monthly charge. Some use satellites, also needing special device and monthly fees.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

John 

Your options are basically Spot or Delorme InReach (or a full on satphone/satrouter). All of these are same, which is the only reliable service in the back country.

I've had a Spot Gen 3 for a while now, it works well. Spot also has a new two-way messenger device. I've heard great things about the Delorme and they have a bit more capability, but also cost a bit more.

The Spot Gen 3 is outgoing only, and you have to pre-set the recipients and the message. It will then send the message and your coordinates. All of the Spot/Delormes also have an SOS button that will summon GEOS SAR services. All of the devices also have tracking where you can publish your coordinates on a set interval.

You could also go with a full on satphone or similar device. I have an Inmarsat iSavi for work which connects to your phone/laptop via WiFi and allows phone calls, texts, as well as SLOOOOOW basic internet all over the satellite network. However, that's heavy, expensive, and doesn't have tracking or SOS capability. But it's an option.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have the Delorme InReach two way texter and it works great. Use it to send the A-OK back to the wife and family and they can reach me if needed. I pay $25/mo for unlimited texts and tracking and the recipients get a Google map pin link as well. There is the initial up front cost but well worth it.

Thanks Don. Amazon reviews do appear more positive about the Delorme. Spot Gen seems to have a spotty record (pun intended). I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe Delorme used their market leadership to work out the bugs before releasing a product. That is usually a good idea if you can do it.

I know Nick is able to transmit SMS and GPS coordinates through certain HAM repeaters and connect with others to let them know his location and that he’s doing well.

Eventually I’ll figure that out too. I’ve considered the gps devices with sms built in, pretty impressive piece of gear too.

Also it seems like those with Verizon more often than not have service in the back country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible to reach out via HAM using ARPS or other tools but I confess I don't know how or what equipment is needed.  I confess I'm not really much of a radio guy.

I'd also agree that Verizon often seems to have better cell coverage than ATT here in the west.  Michele and I have one of each between us and she can't even use ATT reliably at the house, but as a company phone she doesn't have a choice.  We actually do prefer having one of each as it gives us a better chance that one of them will have signal, but neither is highly reliable in the back country.

Anybody use those cell signal boosters, like weboost?

I know Ted and Nick have them and said they work extremely well, they are pricey though.

Anybody use those cell signal boosters, like weboost?

I have a Wilson unit in my LR3.  Not cheap, I want to say around $500.  It sorta, maybe helps a little.  

Part of the issue however is the glass roof of the LR3 means I can't get good signal separation between the internal and external antennas.  It should work better on a metal roof.

Cell is not dependable at all. I have Verizon and it's good, but the vast majority of the time I have no signal in the mountains. It's just the nature of the beast. Driving a ways to find the right peak that happens to have signal is fine if everything is OK, but that doesn't help you much if you are injured/trapped.

I was worried about Spot when I bought mine, but I haven't had trouble with it. We've used them on motorcycle trips, and it can drop signal in some of those cases where you're moving quickly. In general, for lower speed activities like wheeling, hiking, etc it works quite well. It's a tradeoff - it's more limited in features, but also cheaper. Have to decide if the features are something that's important to you. 

The one caveat to the cost is the subscription price - Spot has added a bunch of surcharges over the basic subscription cost which have really annoyed me. But so far it hasn't been enough to make me switch since the hardware and service works well. 

There is a lot to think about here. Spot stills seems worth considering. I am just trying to figure out why its Amazon reviews are so extreme (like versus hate). Some of it is surprises in the subscription schemes. Poor quality control on the devices might be part of it too. Both of these may have been solved by now. 

When I change phones I will definitely look into Verizon. I have found that friends with Verizon had bars when I did not. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am playing around with getting a dedicated aprs transmitter, using a spare 75 watt radio I have to transmit. I think you can text, but my thought is that it will show last known position within range of a digipeater as well as be a nice tracking tool for people to follow along on my trips. In New Mexico, there is pretty much coverage of the whole state given the geographies.

Archived