Dusy Ershim 4x4 Trail 2017

Canceled Due to trail closed 

Rubicon trail info

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5050-2017-rubicon-trail-part-deux-september-7-10/

Well its been a few years and time to hit one of the best trails in California.Looking at Second week of September 7-10. This should give everybody time to  fix there trucks after Rubicon :). This would be a four day long adventure 3 on trail. Limited to 5 trucks but if we get more interested we can split into two groups.I'm sure a few SCLR members  would like to go.

​Interested (list will be updated)Limited to 5 trucks

Don -D1  NCLR

Conal P38 SCLR

Chris SCLR

Stefano NCLR

So far we have Don and Conal confirmed

Agenda/Itinerary: Will try and make it out Sunday but expect getting out Monday just in case

Thursday :
Meet up in Shaver lake at gas station for last fuel up.All trucks must top off. After refueling Head to Voyager Rock campground 34 miles.

Friday:
Pack up camp hit the trail.Voyager Rock to Thompson Lake 

Saturday:
Thompson Lake to Ershim Lake 

Sunday:
Ershim Lake to Lakecamp Lake

Monday:
Finnish trail head home

Overview: A very scenic trail that climbs to 10,000 feet at Thompson Lake, then rarely drops below 9,000 feet after that. You’ll pass several excellent lakes offering good camping and fishing. Almost the entire trail passes through wilderness, which is just 300 feet on each side of the trail. Stay on designated routes at all times. Do not camp within 100 feet of lakes and streams. Carry a fire permit and fishing license if applicable. No target shooting anywhere along route. Pack out your trash. Trail is for summer use only and is approved for ATVs and dirt bikes. Make sure you have plenty of mosquito repellent in the warm summer months. Located in Sierra National Forest

Quick List of vehicle mod req (and given your vehicle is in mechanical tip-top shape):
1) Solid recovery points both front and back,
2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,
3) Sliders and Diff Guards,
4)Front and rear lockers, HD axles
5) Upgrade rear trailer arms (D90s/D1/RRC) if applicable
6) HD bumpers
7) Winch. optional be recommended
8)Ham operator a plus.
9) 5 gal spare fuel can
10)spare parts (will discuss this as trip planning)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b113/lutzg/Dusy%202012/P1050273.jpg

Info about Trail

Difficulty Rating: MOST DIFFICULT.

Recommended for advanced drivers. A route requiring a high degree of skill and challenge to travel.
Not recommended for full-size pickups long wheel base vehicles or for traveling alone.

Directions to Route:

From Fresno:

Take Highway 168 toward Shaver Lake.
Turn right on Dinkey Creek Rd. (next to the Shell Station).
At Shaver Lake Once you reach Dinkey Creek (about 10 mi) turn right on McKinley Grove Rd.
Follow this for another 13 miles and turn left on Courtright Rd.
Follow the road 8 miles, turn left to Courtright Reservoir.
Cross the dam on the east side of the lake and stay on the road to the Dusy‑Ershim OHV Route sign.

Courtright Reservoir is 32 miles south of Shaver Lake in the Sierra National Forest.
Shaver Lake is 45 miles east of Fresno.

The route begins at 8,400 feet elevation with many open rocky areas. Be aware that portions of the trail cross large granite slabs and are marked with rocks. Elevation rises to 10,000 feet at Thompson Lake, remaining at the 9,000 to 10,000 foot range for the rest of the route.

The Route:

The first mile of the route is shared with foot and horse traffic. Please be considerate of other users and allow them safe passage.

Voyager Rock Campground has fire grates and tables and is a popular camping area for fishing Courtright Reservoir. Leaving the campground keep to the left as the "fun" begins at Chicken Rock, a definite attention getter. The panoramic view of the Le Cords Divide from the top is breath taking. The route wanders on to Dusy Creek where 4WD enthusiasts built the crossing over the creek.

Three hours ahead, is the very challenging stretch of road known as "Thompson Hill". Vehicles should have a body lift, running fairly cool and hitting on all cylinders. Even tires with aggressive tire tread will benefit with reduced air pressure. Even with all of this preparation, several stops may be necessary to throw a few rocks in the right places for traction. Access into Thompson Lake is closed at the wilderness boundary. A camping site with room for a few vehicles and tents is available here. The walk to the lake is short and easy.

Continuing on the route, Summit Lake is about an hour from Thompson Lake. Summit Lake does not have a defined camping area, so please use care in choosing your site away from the meadow area.

The next stop available is East Lake, which is not visible from the route making it easy to miss. It's only a short walk to good fishing and an excellent photo spot with picturesque Dogtooth Peak in the background.

Ershim Lake is next with lots of space for camping and parking. Follow signs to campsites. The route from the top of Thompson Hill to Ershim Lake is fairly tame. However, the scenery becomes more interesting than the challenge of the route. This will soon change.

It will take about three hours to cover the four miles to Lakecamp Lake. Rainbow Trout make Lakecamp unique as the other lakes along this route have Brook Trout. Another fishing spot, Mallard Lake, is an easy 20 minute walk beyond Lakecamp.

The next four difficult miles to Whitebark Vista will test driving skills, but the panoramic views make it worth the effort. The route ends at Whitebark Vista. Many people prefer use this White Bark Vista as a starting point. Huntington Lake is about 30 minutes away.

1) Solid recovery points both front and back,
2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,
3) Sliders and Diff Guards,
4)Front and rear lockers, HD axles
5) Upgrade rear trailer arms (D90s/D1/RRC) if applicable
6) HD bumpers
7) Winch. optional be recommended
8)Ham operator a plus.
9) 5 gal spare fuel can
10)spare parts (will discuss this as trip planning)

Hey.... I have all those things!

Put me and the D1 on the list...unless I break it before then!

• 2 weeks later...

I may want to go as someone's co-pilot :D

...was thinking the same thing.  I'd ride shotgun in a truck that can actually accomplish Dusy... definitely not able to drive RedRover here unless I take photos at the trail entrance for all of you and wave goodbye as you head on...

I may want to go as someone's co-pilot :D

I hear all these stories about how crazy Nathan is....but it never pans out.  I'm beginning to think the myth is greater than the man.

Come on- you know you want to drive!

I hear all these stories about how crazy Nathan is....but it never pans out.  I'm beginning to think the myth is greater than the man.

I followed him down the Garcia Ridge trail at some speed I try not to remember.  My dash cam couldn't keep up ....!  It is all true ....

Graeme

HA HA! Don thank you.   I will not take my 25th on the Dusy even though it could make it !  &  I am going another direction & saving my pennies for a 109  pickup currently

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well its August and time to start getting a head count and talking about what everyone is bringing for spare parts.

MY Parts list 

Heim Joint with bolts 2
Drive Shaft Nuts and bolts 4
Air Filter
Set of coolant hoses
Serpentine belt
Axel front and rear
rear drive shaft
Front D2 driveshaft
Tire plugs
Brake lines
fusses
valve stems 4
arb air line and splicer
Tools for d2
duck tape
electrical tape
dublesided tape
tube rtv
repair gloves
zip ties
obd2 reader
superglue
razer blades
air gauge
valve stem puller

Recovery Gear

HI Lift 60
snatch block
Gloves
shackles 3
tow rope 30ft
tree strap
air pump with line
Winch 
50ft Winch extension 

Well its August and time to start getting a head count and talking about what everyone is bringing for spare parts.

MY Parts list 

Heim Joint with bolts 2
Drive Shaft Nuts and bolts 4
Air Filter
Set of coolant hoses
Serpentine belt
Axel front and rear
rear drive shaft
Front D2 driveshaft
Tire plugs
Brake lines
fusses
valve stems 4
arb air line and splicer
Tools for d2
duck tape
electrical tape
dublesided tape
tube rtv
repair gloves
zip ties
obd2 reader
superglue
razer blades
air gauge
valve stem puller

Recovery Gear

HI Lift 60
snatch block
Gloves
shackles 3
tow rope 30ft
tree strap
air pump with line
Winch 
50ft Winch extension 

Lutz,

Looks like you have the spares covered .... we'll just turn up with the wine and Chartreuse then?

Graeme

I'm still in, though my spares list is very limited.   Of the top of my head:

belt

(2) u-joints

oil, coolant, brake fluid

random nuts and bolts

extra VHF antenna

most hand tools

valve cores

patch kit

spill kit

Recovery gear I've got though:

Hi Lift

recovery strap

tow strap

winch extension

D rings and soft shackles - several of each

tree straps

snatch block

air

gloves

etc...

So far we have Don and Conal confirmed

Agenda/Itinerary: Will try and make it out Sunday but expect getting out Monday just in case

Thursday :
Meet up in Shaver lake at gas station for last fuel up.All trucks must top off. After refueling Head to Voyager Rock campground 34 miles.

Friday:
Pack up camp hit the trail.Voyager Rock to Thompson Lake 

Saturday:
Thompson Lake to Ershim Lake 

Sunday:
Ershim Lake to Lakecamp Lake

Monday:
Finnish trail head home

Hopefully Dusy drys out Forest service just posted https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd554349.pdf . Clovis 4x4 and Fresno 4x4 clubs are working hard to get Swamp Lake trail open and as soon as they let them in Dusy will be open.If Dusy doesn't open will have to go to plan B maybe Swamp lake trail or hit up Rubicon 

Hopefully Dusy drys out Forest service just posted https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd554349.pdf . Clovis 4x4 and Fresno 4x4 clubs are working hard to get Swamp Lake trail open and as soon as they let them in Dusy will be open.If Dusy doesn't open will have to go to plan B maybe Swamp lake trail or hit up Rubicon

I'm interested in both once I'm ready...build wise... maybe next year. Love to check Barret lake too!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hopefully Dusy drys out Forest service just posted https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd554349.pdf . Clovis 4x4 and Fresno 4x4 clubs are working hard to get Swamp Lake trail open and as soon as they let them in Dusy will be open.If Dusy doesn't open will have to go to plan B maybe Swamp lake trail or hit up Rubicon 

This brings some notable suck.  I'm fine with re-routing to the Rubicon though - our last trip was a short one so it would be good to to a thru-trip, plus I know a couple of guys who wanted to go last time had schedule problems so we may get a few extras interested.  It's also closer for some members (you know, except you  ;)  )

I did see some recent post on pirate that it will be closed the entire year. Couple other good trails near there as well that I'm trying to remember.

Heard about the Niagra rim trail as a good one with technical areas plus bypasses.

Might be one to add to our list.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

update

Is Dusy going to be open this year?
Show more reactions
17990671_1746232892069986_69738946883738

Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno We have a crew going in on Monday for a week long work trip. They are hoping to get a bridge built or two and work on some water bars and help fix some erosion on the trail. We will know more when they get back.

Archived