suggestions for Ham Radio set up

girlrvr

hi. me again :-)

so i managed to pass the technician-level exam. whoop whoop.

now i need a radio.

any thoughts/input/opinions welcome.

my first question is: do i get a hand-held or not.

seems like i would really only use it in my rig  ... but then again ... you never know ...

then wondering about antenna and placement.

thanks in advance !!

Oh, if only there was some sort of presentation you could attend that would help answer these questions.  Maybe one that would also give you a chance to get some dirt on the tires of your rig at the same time.

What's that you say?  Such a thing!  How could it be?  I'd love to attend such an event if only it were so.

But yes - it really does exist!

In short, I'm telling you to come to our next MORG (Monthly Off-Road Gathering, always the first Sat of the month, rotating locations, generally starting at 10AM).

This month we'll be at Hollister Hills SVRA, meeting at the ranger station/gate at 10 as usual.  Before we commence with the getting dirty part, Jared will be doing a short discussion on HAM radio basics with a Q&A at the end - pretty much covering exactly the sort of things you're asking here.  I too am in the market for a new radio and plan to pick his brain a bit.  So be sure to come out and meet a few members!  

Oh, and Krispy Kremes may or may not be provided....  :)

But in case you're an impatient sort, I'll give some thoughts.  Keep in mind I'm no radio expert by a long shot.

Hand Held radios (handy-talkies) are convenient and cheap and don't require any installation but are extremely limited in power.  I have a few of the ubiquitous Baofung UV5 varient radios that I lend to people on the trail.  At $30/ea aprox, they're practically disposable so I don't sweat it if one goes walk-about on me.  They can also come in handy for when somebody goes out on foot away from the group or for spotting, etc.  But the range is limited to be sure.

A better hand held would offer some performance improvements but honestly I'm not sure how much.  Again, you're generally limited to around 5 watts power in a HH.  If you do go this route, I would strongly suggest some accessories for it.  Mostly an external mag mount antenna to improve performance (it helps to not be broadcasting inside a metal box) and a 12v charger so you don't have to worry about the battery going down on you on a trip.

Of course if you buy all those things to go with a name brand HH, you're almost at the cost of a fixed mount radio anyway.  And that's what I'd recommend.  Which radio specifically I'll leave to real experts, but anything from the Yasue FT2900 at $130-ish on up will do the job.  It just depends on what sort of bells and whistles you want.

Any antenna will do it's best mounted high on the rig.  The ideal place is smack in the center of the roof.  Of course, you may not want it there for various reasons such as having a roof top tent, or worry about knocking it off on tight trails, or whatever.  After that, everything else is some sort of compromise.  I don't think there is a single 'best' solution, just the one that works best for you.  I'm still thinking about this for my new rig as well.

I am not an expert at all (though there are several in the club that are, such as Jared and Graeme), but my $0.02 as a "normal" user is to get a super cheap Baofeng handheld, and a proper truck-mounted rig. 

-I started with just a handheld to dip my toe in.

-However, cars work as a faraday cage for radio signals, so reception and transmission from a handheld in a vehicle is very poor.

-To fix this, I added an external mag-mount antenna to connect to the handheld. This improved things, but not nearly as much as I hoped.

-So, I picked up a used 2m/70cm Icom mobile rig from eBay for $150 and a better Comet antenna and I'm completely thrilled with the range and clarity. 

-That said, I still find myself using the handheld nearly every trip. It's great to have on you when you get out to walk the trail, be a spotter, lend to someone, etc. In fact, I've added a few more and have 3 of them now because they're so convenient and so cheap.

-TL;DR handheld performance is very limited, spend the money on a proper mobile rig and just get the cheapy handheld as they're still useful.

For the last year and hand full of trips near and far (mojave, bodie/ghost town, DitD, Annual @ Hollister- No problem comm with base camp from the trail a mile or so down the hills), my handheld 3/5/8w Baofeng ($40) setup served me well. I bought for it an external mag mount antenna ($25), recoil corded mic ($10), 12v power adapter ($$10) and a suction cup mount ($10) to hold the radio in the cab. The whole setup is portable between vehicles and also when you need to take the unit with you. And since trip leader and tail gunner keep the caravan tight, I never lost sight of other trucks and really felt I needed more powerful radio on trips I take with NCLR.

If I plan to do solo trips, and I think a more powerful radio (40w+) unit would be beneficial to hit repeaters, over hills or longer distances (like arriving into base camp).

That said, I did purchase a hard mount 45w radio for the truck. the combination of multiple cords (antenna coax, charger and coiled mic) and where I have suction cup kept falling off didn't work well for in my truck..and just made the handheld setup a bit messy and therefore annoyed me. I don't have OCD and my denial is not part of the issue. ;) And honestly, if I can rig up the handheld into a cleaner install (hardwire, longer mic cord and can tuck the handheld behind the seat, I would keep that setup

Oh, if only there was some sort of presentation you could attend that would help answer these questions.  Maybe one that would also give you a chance to get some dirt on the tires of your rig at the same time.

What's that you say?  Such a thing!  How could it be?  I'd love to attend such an event if only it were so.

But yes - it really does exist!

In short, I'm telling you to come to our next MORG (Monthly Off-Road Gathering, always the first Sat of the month, rotating locations, generally starting at 10AM).

This month we'll be at Hollister Hills SVRA, meeting at the ranger station/gate at 10 as usual.  Before we commence with the getting dirty part, Jared will be doing a short discussion on HAM radio basics with a Q&A at the end - pretty much covering exactly the sort of things you're asking here.  I too am in the market for a new radio and plan to pick his brain a bit.  So be sure to come out and meet a few members!  

Oh, and Krispy Kremes may or may not be provided....   :)

Don wanted to confirm (since its not on the calendar) that the "next MORG"  / "this month" you referred to is May's MORG and will be happening on May 6th in Hollister.  Been awhile since I've been out with the club (ski season) and I'd really like to hear that radio info too.  Thanks!

awesome timing ... count me in for the MORG learning + wheeling combo :-)

will probably go for a truck mounted radio to start.

the rig is wired / cabled already for a CB so will probably use the same placement/fittings.

can i use the same antenna wiring? i think i read that i need a ham-specific antenna but not sure about the cable. looks like standard coax.

can i use the same antenna wiring? i think i read that i need a ham-specific antenna but not sure about the cable. looks like standard coax.

Your wiring is likely to be just fine (I have a tester that will confirm.)  CB is the 11 meter wavelength band... amateur radio has access to the 10 meter band, so if the cable will work for CB, it will work for Ham radio.

You're right about antenna, though.  The CB band is far away from the 2 meter / 70cm bands we transmit on most often so your antenna is unlikely to be a good resonator.

Don wanted to confirm (since its not on the calendar) that the "next MORG"  / "this month" you referred to is May's MORG and will be happening on May 6th in Hollister.  Been awhile since I've been out with the club (ski season) and I'd really like to hear that radio info too.  Thanks!

Correct.  I should have said 'next month's MORG' instead of this month's, but it's so close I mis-spoke.

This weekend is the MoM at Mexxi's.  Next is the MORG.  Hollister this time.  I'll get it on the calendar. 

great feedback. i'll pick some of your brains on saturday. i've somehow managed to go this long without a radio, much less a license, and since i need portability between vehicles i'm partial to a HH+accessories setup. any HH recos beyond the baofengs? 

i'll cross the truck mounted station bridge later, but then i'll have to choose which LR to put it in and that's like picking which child gets to go to college and i already made that choice to buy the D90  :)

The baofengs have gotten good reviews on amazon, and accessories abundant.

Preppers have good things to say about the Baofengs on youtube also.

And you know can always trust preppers; they stake everything they have to work before, during and after a fallout. :) 

• 1 month later...

I am new to this club.  Recently I got a 2013 LR4 and need some advises on mounting a mobile ham radio in the truck.  I have a Kenwood radio with detachable face plate.

1. Is there a good place to mount the radio toward the rear of the truck?

2. Can I run power directly from the battery in the engine compartment?  If yes, what is the way to route the power through the firewall and interior?

3. Is the 12v outlet at the driver's side rear area enough to power a 50w radio?

4. In order to keep the height low enough to go into a regular garage, is the hood the only place to mount a 1/4 wave antenna?

Thanks,

Julian

KI6AWY

The firewall in lr3/4 is tough, but there are some places to punch through. The 12v plug is not sufficient. You can and should wire directly to the battery as the power wire is fused. Mounting is personal reference but be sure there is enough air circulation to keep it cool. Many roof mount antennas have a built it swivel so you can fold down most of the antenna for fitting in a garage. If you mount it close to drivers side window, I can reach out and fold in down without having to exit the vehicle. The higher the better for reception.

I am surprised at some responses because when I had my handheld 5w and hooked it up to a roof mounted antenna, I could hear the Mt Diablo repeater in Auburn. It extended my range probably 100 fold over the ducky antenna. That setup worked well for me for about a year before I installed a permanent HAM. Also, consider a dual channel radio as it is really nice to listen to more than one channel/repeater or have a side channel for over conversation.

I need to do not her install and purchase another radio for the Santana.

Hi Teds,

Can you suggest where are the good places to punch through the firewall?  I think Diamond makes a motorized antenna mount, but it only take one "forget to fold it down" to destroy it.  I have the OEM rear ladder, maybe that's a good location to mount the antenna.  I have checked under the front and middle seats, it doesn't look like there are good space to mount the radio.  I figure I can use the window suction cup cell phone mount to hold the face plate.  I have a Kenwood TM-D7000a dual-band dual receive radio.  I have a couple Kenwood TH-F6A handy-talkies, they work well in the car connected to a mag-mount antenna too.

BTW, I heard NCLR uses a specific frequency, what is that frequency?  On my commute, I am on N6NFI repeater 145.230, - offset, 100 PL tone.  They have weekday 9am talknet, quite active repeater.

jlmoped, I can't speak specifically to the LR4 but there is a hard-to-find grommet on the driver's side of the firewall near the brake booster on the LR3.  It's a PITA but ti's there.  Youtube might have some video (?)

In my LR3 I have a remote face Yasue FT8800 with the base mounted under the passenger seat.  It's tight and I had to make a couple little brackets but it fits.  The wiring then runs up under the console and forward to the dash (also a tight run near the center stack).  It has it's own dedicated power and ground wires direct to the battery to ensure good clean power.  I wouldn't recommend running a 50w+ radio on a factory cig lighter as they are usually marginal.

I have my faceplate on a mount near my stereo that's actually meant for a tablet.  I just made an adaptor for it.  

My antenna is mounted at the base of the driver's A-pillar on the hood.  I made a bracket that is attached to the underside of the hood.  It's not the perfect location but it offers decent protection from tree branches since it's right in my line of sight.  Certainly it would be better on the roof but only until I tore it off...  :)

I'll see if I can find some pics of my installation.

Found my write-up for the LR3 installation.  Starts on page 3/post 42(ish)

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3438-yart-yet-another-radio-thread/page-3?hl=antenna

Oh, and the 'club frequency' such as it is would be 146.460 simplex.  Not that you'll find people on it at random, it's just the freq we typically use on the trail.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info and the thread with detail photos.  I will start looking for that hole in the firewall.  There aren't a lot of places in the LR4 to mount a radio. In my other cars, the battery is the trunk, so very easy to get power and mount the radio in the hidden compartment in the trunk.

I made a bracket that is attached to the underside of the hood.  It's not the perfect location but it offers decent protection from tree branches since it's right in my line of sight.  Certainly it would be better on the roof but only until I tore it off...   :)

...a relatable scenario!

Out in Baja this year, we had a couple of pretty exciting portions of the trail where the brush and trees were overhanging and, sure enough, I took out 2 antennas (or at least, parts of them) over about a 5 mi. area. 

I like the rooftop installations and, fold-overs or motorized mounts can help, but it doesn't take much to forget or underestimate the brush/branch contact before you lose a section and your antenna won't transmit well.

These days I'm leaning toward recommending a lower mount point (not the roof or rack) or a single-piece antenna.  The signal degradation is detectable from the roof to the hood, but add some power and you'll be fine.

Question - is it better to have a long antenna mounted low, or a short antenna mounted high, assuming they both end at an equal point from the ground? 

I have a shorty flexible Comet SBB1 which I've whacked hard several times and it's none the worse for wear. I think it's around 16" or less. What is the benefit of getting an antenna that's 3ft longer and mounting it 3ft lower?

honestly Chad, I think that's the question everyone should be asking.  If you're not making contact with much (i.e. mall crawler) then you should mount high and allow power to manage your signal.

If you go out on trail, I'm really starting to believe the idea that a lower-mounted antenna with high power is the best 'compromise' for trail activity.

Let me know what you end up with.

Since antenna running into things is not uncommon, how about using a flexible mag-mount antenna like the MFJ-1722?  I have used them before on 2 vehicles, they can handle 50 watts on 2M and 25 watts on 440 and it is cheap.  So if they get damaged, not a big lost.

hi guys.

ok. so pulled the trigger - here is my setup:

-- yaesu FT290R (single band, HH) 

-- microphone

-- used same cabling in the truck used for the CB (the guy at HRO said it would do fine) so will use external, roof rack mounted antenna while HH is in car

-- new bracket for new antenna 

-- comet dual band antenna (that folds at 90 deg)

-- 12v car charger 

-- in car mount TBD

uhoh ... did i screw up by buying single band instead of dual band? does the club use 144 Mhz or does it use 440? yikes! 

hi guys.

ok. so pulled the trigger - here is my setup:

-- yaesu FT290R (single band, HH) 

-- microphone

-- used same cabling in the truck used for the CB (the guy at HRO said it would do fine) so will use external, roof rack mounted antenna while HH is in car

-- new bracket for new antenna 

-- comet dual band antenna (that folds at 90 deg)

-- 12v car charger 

-- in car mount TBD

uhoh ... did i screw up by buying single band instead of dual band? does the club use 144 Mhz or does it use 440? yikes! 

Seems like a good purchase to me!

I wouldn't worry about the single/dual band thing.  For 99% of what we do, it's single band on 144.

Archived