I'm Back and with a new LR4

Gotrovr

Let the build begin.

I need advice/suggestions/user comments on the following.

Rack, I have a 25% off coupon for BajaRack.  Rack needs to be compatible with a Tepui tent

Protection

Wheels, thinking Compomotive and Duratracs 275/65R18

Lift, probably Sasquatch rods.  Johnson Rods?

winch bumper, ARB? (needs to be compatible with front cameras and sensors?)

rear bumper with spare tire carrier

Btw, it was nice seeing old and new faces at our 10th annual event.  

post-407-0-40681400-1475809890_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few thoughts

Rack- I'm not up on Baja's offerings nor do I run a RTT so I'm not much help there

Protection- I'm a big fan of Tactical Rovers stuff.  I'd start with their sliders as the most important since break-over is limited on these trucks.  They are currently the only sliders that go all the way in to the frame rails, so they act as a bit of skid plate as well and protect the compressor.  Tactical also offers gas tank and transfer case skids which I run on my LR3.  They may be the only company in the US offering armor for this platform.  I'd have to check to be sure a '16 can use their gear but I think it will still fit.

Wheels/Tires- compos are the nicest option to be sure, or you can run the LR3 18s w/spacers.  I used to run Duratracs in 275/65-18 and really liked them in the snow/ice but not so much in mud and rocks.  I do use mine pretty hard, but after 2 years I was literally tearing pieces of the tread off with my hands.  They were a pretty good tire on the street as well.  You will need to do a little trimming to fit that size w/o rubbing.  Most guys go with a 265/65-18 and some get by with no trimming.  It seems each truck is slightly different (go figure...Land Rover) and I don't know anybody running on a '16 specifically anyway.  Other tire options I'd look at in that same class would be the Cooper ST-Maxx and the new (is it still 'new'?) BFG KO2  For a more street friendly tire that doesn't look all that mean but works quite well I'd look at the Cooper AT3.  We have LR3s or 4s running each of these tires currently in the club.  Myself I'm running 275/70-18 Cooper STT Pros, but I would only recommend them for dedicated trail rigs, not daily drivers.  Too many compromises for everyday use IMO.

Lift - I don't think Sasquatch is still around.  Johnson is the default choice.  Proud Rhino (via Lucky8) offers a multi-position rod that can be set stock, lifted, or in-between but I think it's a plastic rod like the OEM parts.  There are also some electronic adjust on the fly options from LLAMS (Australia) and a company out of Italy whose name I can't remember right now.  You can also do an all electronic lift with the GAP iiD tool, but the amount of lift available is limited and seems to vary from truck to truck (because Land Rover).

Winch bumper-  I don't know if anybody will be 100% compatible with the cameras and sensors.  ARB is the most common but to tell the truth I don't like mine and wouldn't buy it again.  My main complaint is that it sticks out so far, actually decreasing approach angle, and that the winch is so inaccessible, fully enclosed.  You have to reach through a small opening to get to the clutch and it's hard to see when spooling your line.  Tactical makes a bumper I nearly bought when I set up my truck but I hadn't seen in person then and wasn't too sure about it.  Having seen it since, I'd buy it if I were doing it over.  I believe Lucky8 also now has a bumper option.

Rear bumper/tire carrier - tough; I think the only real option is Kaymar out of Australia.  A few people in the club have them.  I'm not in love with them myself but it's a bolt-on option.  Tactical offers theirs for the LR3 and has said they would install it on an LR4 but last I heard had not actually done one so they wanted the first person to actually bring their truck to them so they could be sure it would fit.  (they are in SoCal).  Both bumpers have issues with the parking sensors when you use a swing away tire carrier - the tire has to be placed very high or it triggers the sensors.  It's possible to make them work together but finicky.  I have a custom welded bumper styled more or less like the Tactical and of course ditched the sensors.

sliders - aren't the tactical rovers sliders the same design as the rover specialties? at least they look very much like them

wheels - at oktroverfest, i spoke to Ty who had compos on his LR4 and they looked awesome.

lift - definitely get a GAP tool

Tactical and Rover Specialties sliders are very similar though not identical.  I can't say one is better than the other but since Rover Specialties isn't selling theirs currently (that I know of) Tactical wins by default.

The GAP tool is wonderful in it's own right and can provide lift but how much lift seems to be variable.  It seems to depend on the specific sensor calibration on each truck.  Some guys can get 2", others less.  I was a 'less' guy, so I went ahead and put on Johnson rods.  Of course I also have a LLAMS device (currently in/op) because I like to experiment.  By all means I'd recommend getting the GAP iiD tool and seeing if it will give the lift you want/need.  If so - great.  If not, it's still an excellent investment for any late-model Rover owner (maybe not so much in the case of a '16 still under warranty, but good none-the-less) and you can add rods easily and at little cost, or look at one of the electronic 'on the fly' systems.

oh the joys of early adoption:

when sasquatch came out with his adjustable rods, he developed them on his (now sold) LR3, but confirmed on my RRS that they'd work. in exchange for a beer and test fitting, i got my rods at a deeper than then NCLR discount.

i was also a beta tester for the GAP tool and they recently let me exchange the first run unit for a BT model for a modest upgrade cost. my RRS is a "less" vehicle as well, but i haven't experimented with the rods + GAP combo to find that sweet spot.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure if the '14 with the V6 uses the same transmission as the V8s.  I would expect so, but have never checked.

But yeah, transmission pans are ... special ... on this platform.

FWIW, this ZF transmission is used by many manufacturers, including BMW and Ford on the Raptor. 

All I know is it has an 8 ZF speed transmission with paddle shift

Ah, then it's not the same as the 6 spd in the earlier trucks.  It may have the same fun 'sealed for life' (per Land Rover, but not per ZF) goofiness and probably has the same inaccessibility of the trans pan (have to drop the cross member to get to it.  And the same uber-expensive plastic pan with the oil filter built in so you have to replace the pan to replace the filter.  I'm basing this on an assumption that the new 8 spd is effective an outgrowth of the old 6 spd, so don't take it as gospel for the new rig. 

I just got a ARB front bumper 2 months ago, new model number as they did some enhancements, but it still does not work with front sensors, I do not have them so I did not care.

I got the Tactical 4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier for my LR4 two weeks ago, I love it, fits perfect and I installed it in less than 2 hrs. I got mine with no sensor holes, it looks cleaner and figured they would not work anyway.

I run the Compomotives with Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 275/65R18 and I love them on an off road.

I just got a ARB front bumper 2 months ago, new model number as they did some enhancements, but it still does not work with front sensors, I do not have them so I did not care.

I got the Tactical 4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier for my LR4 two weeks ago, I love it, fits perfect and I installed it in less than 2 hrs. I got mine with no sensor holes, it looks cleaner and figured they would not work anyway.

I run the Compomotives with Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 275/65R18 and I love them on an off road.

I'll have to take a look at your Mk II ARB bumper.  I've been a bit vocal about some of the things I don't like about mine, so maybe they've improved.  Right now if I were doing it again I'd get the Tactical front, or maybe the one Lucky8 is doing though I haven't seen it in person.

Archived