I'm Back and with a new LR4

Gotrovr

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting - another variation with the new V6.  I know other luxury brands have done this before with a small secondary battery.  Perhaps Chad or Colin would know, but I think the 7-series BMW does that as well.  There's just so much electrical stuff going on they had to add the extra battery.  Given what we know about the LR3 and earlier LR4s and their battery sensitives it's understandable.  I too would be curious to know more about how they are dividing the load.  Perhaps this acts as a sort of 'house' battery when the truck isn't running?  

I'm guessing it's an AGM, but given its small size unless it's lithium it's not a huge amount of power.  Perhaps 40 a/h.  It certainly isn't a starting battery.

I just put a Tactical Rovers rear bumper on my LR3 with the swing away tire carrier and their sliders. Baja Rack is really nice. I get compliments on mine all the time and they make one specifically for the LR3/4 platform in two types RTT and normal. For the LR4 the Compmotive seem like the best choice and the BFG KO 2's are a great choice. I have a Gap iid tool. I don't really like it for "lift" so maybe go with rods but you can't beat the tool for checking codes and clearing them. 

post-541-0-53507400-1477435125_thumb.jpg

post-541-0-61306900-1477435226_thumb.jpg

post-541-0-32505000-1477435275_thumb.jpg

Bear, thanks for the info...

Update:

Wheels and Tires:  I have 5 Compomotive 18's.  Currently negotiating with local rep for 4 new Duratrac's 275/65R18.  I'm borrowing a spare tire from my LR3 collection.  I will deal with any rubbing issues as they manifest.

Lift:  I have Johnson Rods ready to install along with a Gap BT IIDtool just activated last night. 

Sliders:  I placed an order for Voyager sliders with round step.  I expect delivery within next 10 days

Rack:  I am leaning on BajaRack expo version with flat rear for new Tepui tent (Autana Ruggetized waiting to be installed).  Problem is my 2016 LR4 has full length roof rails not compatible with either Baja or Voyager racks.   I need to replace the longer roof rails to the 3/4 style normally found with LR3 and earlier LR4's.  

Lights:  I've settled on Rigid LED lighting:  Qty, type and placement to follow

Light Controller:  Switch Pros SP-8100;  This is the real deal, very high quality and fully programmable. I've located a placement for both the controller and harness mount.  I'm still researching method of wiring for rack.

Auxiliary Battery;  I'm not sure I have an answer to this.  I've decided to test the current setup as is with my older ARB fridge running 24/7 by measuring voltage of the primary and secondary batteries on a daily basis

Underbody Protection;  Couple of choices; Steel from Tactical Rovers or Aluminum from UK.  I'm leaning toward Aluminum to save weight

Winch:  Probably a Warn unit.  Not decided.  For mount, either LR factory unit or ARB/Tactical Rovers bumper.  I have the Optional Vision Package installed that has a total of 5 cameras.   2 forward facing mounted on the bumper.   Both ARB and Tactical are not compatible??

Rear bumper/spare tire mount:  nothing decided yet,  Voyager and Front runner have just the swing away tire carrier if I'm looking to save weight.

I just got a ARB front bumper 2 months ago, new model number as they did some enhancements, but it still does not work with front sensors, I do not have them so I did not care.

I got the Tactical 4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier for my LR4 two weeks ago, I love it, fits perfect and I installed it in less than 2 hrs. I got mine with no sensor holes, it looks cleaner and figured they would not work anyway.

I run the Compomotives with Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx 275/65R18 and I love them on an off road.

thats crazy. Conor and I got rear bumpers the end of september.

Bear, thanks for the info...

Update:

Rear bumper/spare tire mount:  nothing decided yet,  Voyager and Front runner have just the swing away tire carrier if I'm looking to save weight.

yes but Front Runner wants like $1300 for their swing away for a few hundred more you get a whole bumper too. I like the Front Runner swing away but its way over priced. Funny story, I first saw that on their South Africa website so I called them in SoCal and asked if I could get one and if that price was in ZA Rand? They said no thats the US price. haha 

Can confirm the TR rear is neato. Swingout was very well thought-out.

29593356604_faeb0311ec_b.jpg

Bad luck on the roof rails, I heard some dealers would trade you for the older parts. If I bought another Baja rack new I would also get the flat rear one, good choice.

Nice disco!

How about a outrigger setup to prevent tipping? Good for water crossing toohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/e70ec5c503349408006ada506cad98fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a little work I can see great potential in that setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5jkXEFTZ4

I do like the looks and functionality of the TR rear bumper with swing away tire carrier.   I see the bumper has the back up sensors in place.  Do these sensors operate properly?

And Chuck, don't push me on the outriggers, they would help keep me from tipping :D

Update:

Baja Rack expo version with flat rear on order, expect delivery after 11/14.  I purchased short roof rails to allow for this rack and expect to install them tomorrow.

How do you like the voyager sliders? I'm dangerously close to ordering prospeed sliders for my LR4Fit and finish is excellent

Pros: 1)  Fit and finish is excellent  2) Install was uneventful, although I decided to go with longer fasteners (M8/1.25pitch x 40mm) along bottom.  3) I like the round nerf bar as opposed to the square for aesthetic reasons.

Cons:  1) Voyager sliders do not offer the same level of under body protection as with Rover Specialties sliders on my LR3.  Voyager sliders only extend 5 inches from the outer door and do not extend over the air compressor...  This is a concern and may be an issue.    I am looking at a full under body panel from a source in the UK as alternate protection for the air compressor to include the fuel tank.

Archived