Brainstorming with some ideas......

ChrisJB

I am at work, and I should be working, but it's friday and I dont want to :)

So I was thinking as a club, what has been done to help bring awareness to the club and help with recruitment? On my way to work this morning trekking through the ice and snow I counted 15 Land Rovers of various models out and about and I am sure none of them are even aware that a club like this exists or have explored the possibility of joining a club. In this area at least when your drving your land rover and see another one, you always get a friendly wave. So I feel the Land Rover is a culture and a lifestyle for many people rather then just a mode of tranportation. So the question is how do we reach out to those people.

Just bringing some ideas from the last club I was with. One thing that was really cool was offering gift memberships. Its a great way to get a friend, neighbor, co-worker, or family member into the club.

Recruitment contest. I did belong to a dodge neon club (don't laugh) and whoever got the most recruits signed up in 1 year won a prize and I think the prize was a $100 mothers car care package. Granted the prize wasn't a trip to hawaii, but it was something that we could all use. We had these little business cards made up with the club website and our names. There was a "who referred you" field that the new recruit would type in the application to help keep track. The club had roughly 45 member and it doubled in one year and 75% were from referrals.

During Hot August Nights here in reno, the whole area is filled with car shows. There are several 4x4 clubs that participate in the unsanctioned shows and show off their rides and associated clubs to bring awarness.

Also we have to be sensitive to how big do we really want this club to be. It can be so big that it becomes un-manageable and will require full time attention from the Board of Directors to handle. So it's a fine line in terms of generating revenue for the club to help pay for events and initiatives and having too many people and it becomes difficult to manage

Just throwing some ideas out there. :)

Chris,

Good ideas!

I'll bring it up to the BOD meeting today (by the way, I know it's a long drive but you are more than welcome to attend/listen in BOD mts - we have it scheduled and it's typically at the Land Rover Fremont mtg facility (nice of them to allow us)).

Could be recognition for most new members signed up, or your idea some sort of incentive. Plus nice to have a lil competition in the club and in the end more members.

As far as size of club, I don't think that's a problem righ now (IHMO). I've seen clubs live and die for new members due to natural attrition.

My hunch our club will have longer rentention as long as we keep our calendar of trips full, members involved and interested, manage our club well and and of course fresh ideas like yours....

I am at work, and I should be working, but it's friday and I dont want to :)

So I was thinking as a club, what has been done to help bring awareness to the club and help with recruitment? On my way to work this morning trekking through the ice and snow I counted 15 Land Rovers of various models out and about and I am sure none of them are even aware that a club like this exists or have explored the possibility of joining a club. In this area at least when your drving your land rover and see another one, you always get a friendly wave. So I feel the Land Rover is a culture and a lifestyle for many people rather then just a mode of tranportation. So the question is how do we reach out to those people.

Just bringing some ideas from the last club I was with. One thing that was really cool was offering gift memberships. Its a great way to get a friend, neighbor, co-worker, or family member into the club.

Recruitment contest. I did belong to a dodge neon club (don't laugh) and whoever got the most recruits signed up in 1 year won a prize and I think the prize was a $100 mothers car care package. Granted the prize wasn't a trip to hawaii, but it was something that we could all use. We had these little business cards made up with the club website and our names. There was a "who referred you" field that the new recruit would type in the application to help keep track. The club had roughly 45 member and it doubled in one year and 75% were from referrals.

During Hot August Nights here in reno, the whole area is filled with car shows. There are several 4x4 clubs that participate in the unsanctioned shows and show off their rides and associated clubs to bring awarness.

Also we have to be sensitive to how big do we really want this club to be. It can be so big that it becomes un-manageable and will require full time attention from the Board of Directors to handle. So it's a fine line in terms of generating revenue for the club to help pay for events and initiatives and having too many people and it becomes difficult to manage

Just throwing some ideas out there. :)

CJB,

If you like Death Valley, sign up for RR8 on LR Las Vegas board, trip will be Apr.4-5-6.

We can caravan on 395.

I would have loved to have gone to death valley, but unfortunately my work schedule will interfere with this trip. I am hoping for next year as this seems to be a yearly event?

Chris, you bring up some good points regarding membership recruitment. We did discuss this topic at length earlier today at the BOD meeting.

One thing to remember is that wanting to own a Land Rover and wanting to drive a Land Rover off road are entirely two different mind sets. We are actively pursuing the development of a very nice brochure courtesy of Chuck's Wife and Xerox that we intend to make available at select dealerships for new member recruiting. We also are involved with Land Rover Driving Experience hoping to help provide a means to enable these new owers a chance to expand their off road driving. Our website linked to various other 4x4 sites is also a plus.

I found out about the club when a few of our members joined Freamont LR on one of the "wheels events" they took us out on. I remember seeing their rides moded up and the feel that these guys were such experts on off roading and LR matters that I wanted to be a part of that. Perhaps consider continuos participation on local wheels events just for visibility. Any owner out on a wheels event is obviously interested in finding out what else their new rover can do besides drive them to work!!!

It is nice to see the link between the "Wheels Events" and NCLR. The NCLR has developed a special relationship with Land Rover Monterey in a unique sponsorship format in which Land Rover Monterey currently invites 2 of our club's vehicles with 6 people to attend their "Quarterly Wheels Event" held at Quail Lodge/Carmel. The obvious intent is to recruit new members from the Land Rover Experience Driving School by offering a chance to continue with the off-road adventure in a group/club format. A secondary benefit is that our members in attendance get to polish up with their off-road driving skills. :D This is a win/win situation for corporate Land Rover and our club.

Ok Will, I agree. I thought the title said brainstorming with some ideas? So, from here or was there something more?

I think that we need to make sure to park the non participating Land Rovers near the lunch spot and have them open at lunch so people can look at them.

I think we should arrange a day at the Dealer Sponsors to have us show up and have various LR's available for gawkers, maybe in conjunction with a delaer onsite sale or event. And we could talk to poetntial or current owners.

I think we should arrange a day at the Dealer Sponsors to have us show up and have various LR's available for gawkers, maybe in conjunction with a delaer onsite sale or event. And we could talk to poetntial or current owners.

We could make it a weekend sort of thing, meet up Saturday at the LRM Dealership and show off our rigs for a while, display our banner, play a continuous slide show on lobby big screen, hand out our brochures to on lookers, test drive a new LR3?, dine and stay the night in Monterey, then do the wheels event Sunday with LRM at Quail Lodge.

I think that would be a wonderful idea, and I could bring the family.

I was planning on driving at the next event, but I think that maybe I'll try and ride along and photog next time, unless we have someone else who would like to do that.

excellent ideas!

i think we should return the schwag favor and provide a basket of club goodies or a few t-shirts, stickers, etc. for the raffle giveaways.

how about we make ourselves available for dealer wheels events? even if it's just to check people in so they have one less dealer person to have to work or be part of the caravan making sure no one gets lost. top of mind is running tail during the runs. i remembered tim would give a CB to the last vehicle. why not one of us? and there was that last hill at bodega bay where we lined up at the top with tim spotting further down. he'd enlisted mars to send the next vehicle on his okay.

• 4 months later...

Alright, so It has come to my attention that NCLR should really be called BALR (bay area land rover). Is there anyone else that is in the sacramento, eldorado, placer or maybe even higher up that would like to do and off road gathering? I would really like to attend some of the MORGs but it is just cost prohibitive for me (and others I'm sure) to drive to the bay area (or farther south) for the weekend.

So, anyone got any interest and/or Ideas?

You alao have Greenhorn OHV in Grass Valley. Cambo hosted a run up that way. Lots of creeks to cross it seems. Looked like a ton of fun. I'd try and come up for something like that...but I too know little of the area...

You alao have Greenhorn OHV in Grass Valley. Cambo hosted a run up that way. Lots of creeks to cross it seems. Looked like a ton of fun. I'd try and come up for something like that...but I too know little of the area...

X2, I know very little about the area, but I wouldn't mind taking a nice ride up that way. Hell, I do it for day trips to go skiing. Why not for wheelin'???

Steve

Alright, so It has come to my attention that NCLR should really be called BALR (bay area land rover). Is there anyone else that is in the sacramento, eldorado, placer or maybe even higher up that would like to do and off road gathering? I would really like to attend some of the MORGs but it is just cost prohibitive for me (and others I'm sure) to drive to the bay area (or farther south) for the weekend.

So, anyone got any interest and/or Ideas?

There's serveral folks here from Sac or north of Sac.

And there are wheeling trips up and down California spread during the calendar year; granted the birth of the MORG is in Hollister; feel free to make suggestions for next MORG!

As for scheduled wheeling trips, there's Gold Lake (closer to you) in August; check the website Calendar for details, directions, etc...

And if you are not too far, Blue Lakes is scheduled this month July 19; click here for details: http://nclrclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=143&Itemid=111

Like all wheeling trips (when finalized), you'll see designated Trip Leader, Trail Leader, description, camping info if applicable, GPS coordiantes and/or maps, etc... and sign-up online.

Hope to see you on the trail!

Archived