camping near downtown sacramento?

Phil.

my daughter's class is doing an overnighter at sutter's fort this week. i won't be spending the night at the fort with them, but looking into helping out - which would entail staying overnight. are there any cheapo camping options near downtown? quickie search only popped up KOA, which at $30 isn't much less than a budget motel. TIA.

Only thing I can think of in/near downtown is Discovery Park. I doubt there is any official camping there, but there are plenty of ... 'urban campers' there.

If you open it up to say30 minutes, you can find things but I don't know anything in the city itself.

To try to be somewhat helpful, about the only thing I can come up with is Sherwood Harbor (a grandiose name for what it is to be sure). I've never been there, only gone past in the boat. It's about 10 miles south on the river.

I thought maybe the campground at Folsom Lake, but you have to make a big loop out of your way to get there so it's over an hour drive.

There are place in the delta, and probably some things north along the river, and of course you can head toward the foothills and find things, but nothing I'd say is really close to downtown, more like an hour or two out.

If you are just looking for a place to snooze, why not the Rest Stop north of Sacramento in Elkhorn (15 miles away/20 mins from Downtown via I5): here's the info - http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/ra/ra14.htm; it's free; well, not exactly free - thanks to our tax dollars.

With the State budget cuts, call ahead and make sure it's open; stay as late as you can @ Sutter's fort, grab dinner somewhere nice and then snooze at the rest stop. Leave early and I am sure plenty nice b-fast places to eat in downtown Sacramento.

Just lock your doors at the rest stop, be safe and don't talk to any one legged hooker (j/k). Joking set aside, just be safe!.

What's the date on this? My wife is out of town this weekend (so she can't complain that the house is too messy for a guest...) and I'm only about 30 minutes from downtown in Walnut Grove. I've got a spare bedroom and room in the drive for another Rover. Just don't expect a B&B...mircowaves are about the limit of my culinary skills!

NOT Elkhorn. I stopped there several yrs ago for a break, the rest rooms were vandalized. I mean total human excretions. Barf!!! I thought it would be safe because of the hi traffic on I-5 and plenty of trucks stopped there.

CalTrans has remodelled it since, but PTSS on my part.

I live in Granite Bay, about 25 min from Fort Sutter and have a guest room if you'd like to stay, but sounds like you won't be heading up

. PM me if change your mind.

Archived