Ancient Bristlecone Pine MORG - July 12-14

To give a little time window for the people arriving in Bishop on Friday we’ll meet at The Mountain Rambler Brewery between Noon and 12:30.  After lunch we’ll head up Silver Canyon Road then go right at the top to the Grandview Campground.  We’ll try to get enough sites for anybody arriving later on Friday afternoon/evening.  If anyone is heading up late to Bishop from the south on 395 you can turn right on 168 in Big Pine and take paved roads to the campground.  Should have mentioned that we should bring firewood, there probably isn’t much laying around up there.  I think we can have a fire in the campground at least.

My phone number again is 775-501-2991.  Looking forward to the weekend!

13 hours ago, Mffoster said:

To give a little time window for the people arriving in Bishop on Friday we’ll meet at The Mountain Rambler Brewery between Noon and 12:30.  After lunch we’ll head up Silver Canyon Road then go right at the top to the Grandview Campground.  We’ll try to get enough sites for anybody arriving later on Friday afternoon/evening.  If anyone is heading up late to Bishop from the south on 395 you can turn right on 168 in Big Pine and take paved roads to the campground.  Should have mentioned that we should bring firewood, there probably isn’t much laying around up there.  I think we can have a fire in the campground at least.

My phone number again is 775-501-2991.  Looking forward to the weekend!

Two bundles of firewood packed!

Unfortunately I have to bow out at the last moment. A test drive with the 12 week old puppy showed that he is not ready for an 8 hour drive. Anna and I will have to seat this one out.

Hope everyone have fun with the ancients trees!🌲 

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Unfortunately I have to bow out at the last moment. A test drive with the 12 week old puppy showed that he is not ready for an 8 hour drive. Anna and I will have to seat this one out.

Hope everyone have fun with the ancients trees!🌲 

Trial by fire always! Henry didn’t like car rides. Until he did. 😂

We made it to Bishop though not without “Rover fun.”

Upon leaving yesterday at 4, I made it down the driveway before realizing the AC was not putting out cold air. Backed it up, compressor clicked over, fans blew, sensors were reading correctly.

The original plan was to pick up Theresa from Fremont and shave off an hour. Instead, she picked up a couple cans of R134a, came home, we charged the system and were off. Made it to the East side of Yosemite to camp by 1:45 am 

Made it back without incident. 

Huge thanks to Mike and Leigh Anne for leading a stellar trip. The scenery, multiple environments traversed, and great folks made this trip absolutely fantastic. The White Mountains were a cool oasis - a perfect place to weather out this heat!

Also - here is the club photos album:

LINK: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sb3gFVaaCCBRWfJZ8

Upload away!

This was an epic trip thanks to the members that came along - Miles, Theresa and Henry, Brian and Dana, Chris and Sebastian and Stefano and Lisa.  Henry and Sebastian did great on the hikes and at camp, and the dogs that came along were even well behaved!  If we head up to the area again there are a bunch of possible roads/trails we can explore in addition to Silver Canyon and Wyman Canyon.  I would encourage people to head up to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest whenever there's a chance, the trees (and general scenery above 10,000 ft) are awe inspiring!

Brian (wood) and Dana and Bird the dog had a tremendous time and adventure.   Mike and Leanne led an epic adventure - even with 109 degree temperatures down in Bishop.   All trucks ran hot 🥵 but made it up to 10,000’.     Add a little rain to balance out the July heat ?!?  

On our re-do list -  👍 

IMG_1968.thumb.jpeg.ef8fe24dfef03cc8d5e353980d72e798.jpeg

We hit the Devils Postpile and Rainbow Falls on our way up Hwy 395.   Would recommend!

IMG_2011.thumb.jpeg.cf2a9d74eb8954b5ffb55e667a0b8c63.jpeg

IMG_2026.thumb.jpeg.8ebb509cfc5f667f6608d004d012fe15.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great trip to the Bristlecone Pine forests. I went a few years ago and have been wanting to go back, especially to capture an image of the Milky Way behind one of the old trees. However, there were storms in the area, and it clouded over at night. Although it was 104°F down in Bishop, we hit the 60s at night, making for some comfortable camping at night. We had a great time around the campfire (an old wine barrel for wood) sharing tri-tip, BBQ chicken wine and Along with wine,Miles brought some Oban Scotch.

We started just outside of Bishop at 4,000 feet and took the trail up Silver Canyon to the top, just over 10,000 feet. There were a lot of switchbacks and great views. We camped at the Grandview campground at 8,500 feet for the next two nights, visiting both old-growth forests. We reached over 11,600 feet just past the Patriarch Grove after 13 miles down a dirt road though a valley that was at 10,000ft. During our visit to the first forest, we got a brief storm with big winds and a heavy downpour. The rest of the group took a different trail around the mountain peak and didn't get as wet.

We took Wyman Creek down the eastern side of the White Mountains, which was a very scenic ride. The terrain changed from high-altitude grass and rock to overgrown brush, where the road turned into a stream and visibility was limited to 50 feet. There was some minor pinstriping, but we got lucky because someone had cleared a section earlier. We then ran into some cows. Once we reached the bottom, it reminded me of Alabama Hills with granite boulders and sand, with limited greenery.

After everyone departed, Lisa and I made our way to Mammoth Lakes and grabbed a shot of Mono Lake the next morning. It was an awesome trip, and I look forward to going back and getting that Milky Way shot.

Bristlecone pine forest-9822.jpg

Bristlecone pine forest-9872.jpg

Bristlecone pine forest-9875.jpg

Bristlecone pine forest-9896.jpg

Mono lake-9916-HDR.jpg