June MORG - Hell Hole 6/12-13

So I want announce the June MORG that I will be leading. I am moving it to the second weekend of June instead the traditional first weekend. I’m doing this because I want to accommodate Greg and he is not around the first weekend and he needs a good shakedown run with his RRC. So by rescheduling and calling him out on this post, I’m hoping that will be enough peer pressure to get him out Plus it’s a really fun trail in general and I haven’t wheeled with him in years.

This MORG will be an overnight and a rock crawling trip. Non rock crawlers can still come and have some fun though. There are plenty of dirt roads and overlanding opportunities in the surround area, not to mention we will be camping at a really nice lake. I will be leading the run down Hell Hole Jeep Trail, but anybody is welcome to plan and lead a run on some of the surrounding trails and forest roads in the area.

The plan will be to camp at Lewis Canpground next to French Meadows Reservoir. It is a nice, developed campground that is walking distance to the lake. The campground requires a modest fee, but has bathrooms and garbage and running water. The lake also has excellent fishing opportunities and paddling. I don’t know the state of the water level, but I’m sure there will be enough to still enjoy it.

6590713993eef3a521b7715fdc514b05.jpg

Hell Hole Jeep Trail (it’s called “Jeep Trail”, otherwise I would not include Jeep in anything) is an out and back rock crawling trail.

9496e27f75ce794a74e2c238c44aa6fd.jpg

It’s only about 4 miles long, but it very narrow and steep. The first half of the trail will be dropping down to Hell Hole Reservoir and the second half will be coming back up. Depending on our group, I would anticipate it taking 2-3 hours each way with about an hour long break at the bottom. This is a very rewarding trail that will definitely leave you with a sense of accomplishment when you finish the trail. Body damage is a risk as the trail is narrow, but avoidable especially if you have something short like a D90 or something. The trail involves climbing and dropping down ledges and staircase sections. Minimum vehicle will be rock sliders, a lift, 33” tires, and a rear locker. Independent suspension vehicles can come, but they will need to be built and have a winch. Winching is likely for vehicles that just meet the minimum.

b823ecd130a7fd98611137488dbdd918.jpg

92f3161393759cb065d5e67bd0ca2f19.jpg

774a0a18b82c20837e74db8fb3dda854.jpg

This is one of my favorite trails to run. This will be my third time running the trail and third time leading a run on the trail for the club. I am excited to introduce the trail to folks who haven’t had a chance to run it yet. Please feel free to DM if you have any questions on the trail or trip in general. This is a trip you don’t want to miss and also a great opportunity to test your vehicle and driving skill if you’re looking to do other trails like the Rubicon. If you can handle this trail without issue, you’ll be fine for the Rubicon. If you have a lot of issues, it’s a short trail so we can manage any issue and it won’t be the end of the world.

3554cf1ade7e795306f7c28ca038e338.jpg

db262f15740ca977ef1680ccef216dc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Elherbinator

Per recreation.gov it looks like French Meadows Campground is full for Saturday night. I reserved a spot at Lewis Campground, which looks to have about 5 open spaces remaining for that night. People may want to get their campsites reserved sooner rather than later. Or is there another camping plan?

Good call Nick. I just reserved spot 30 for Saturday night. There are also dispersed camping opportunities around if that’s what it comes to for people. Each spot can accompany 2 vehicles, so hopefully we can book enough spots to handle our group

Depending the group we have and individual plans, we could possibly even camp at the bottom of Hell Hole. Although sometimes it can get really hot and miserable down there. Hellish if you will

[slight change of plans]

I grabbed spot “031 West†at LEWIS at FRENCH MEADOWS and sharing the site with Andrew. I’m likely staying in Auburn on Friday to breakup the drive from Half Moon Bay. Let me know if anyone else is coming from this direction or planning on a layover in Auburn.

See you all soon!

Brian

Edited by BHorner

Looks like a great trip, but I’ve been signed up for an SCCA time trial that weekend. Was set for the initial weekend, will have to miss it now. Have a great time!

I grabbed spot “031 West†at LEWIS at FRENCH MEADOWS and am happy to share as well. Staying at Best Western Plus in Placerville on Friday to breakup the drive from Half Moon Bay. Let me know if anyone is coming from this direction or planning on a layover in Placerville.

Brian

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻â”â”»

I would like to share this camping spot with you Brian if it is still available. I adjusted my schedule so I will be able to make this trip. Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on going tried to reserve campsite think it’s fully booked but I’ve never been there so not sure if I was looking in correct area

Did you try to book a spot at Lewis Campground near French Meadow Reservoir?

At this point we have 4 spots reserved and more than 8 people camping. We are just going to have to figure it out up there. Cramming 3 per spot will be option 1. Technically we are limited to 2 cars per spot, but I don’t think it will be an issue so long as the camp host is cool and they usually can turn cool with a few bucks thrown their way. Option 2 would be to set up camp at the sites and park elsewhere for those whiteout a spot. Option 3 would be nearby dispersed camping.

Either way we will just have to figure it out when we get there. I don’t think it will be a problem tho.

At this point we have 4 spots reserved and more than 8 people camping. We are just going to have to figure it out up there. Cramming 3 per spot will be option 1. Technically we are limited to 2 cars per spot, but I don’t think it will be an issue so long as the camp host is cool and they usually can turn cool with a few bucks thrown their way. Option 2 would be to set up camp at the sites and park elsewhere for those whiteout a spot. Option 3 would be nearby dispersed camping.

Either way we will just have to figure it out when we get there. I don’t think it will be a problem tho.

Six adults per site so we can find other parking if the host is a stickler for the rules.