May MORG May 1st

OK, I let this one sneak up on me.    The 1st Saturday of May is actually May 1st; I thought we had more time but it's coming up next weekend.

While I have some ideas closer to the bay, how does Poker Flat sound?  It's an easy trail that stock Rovers could do (only one 'hard' spot but mostly fire roads) and has a great view from the saddleback fire lookout.  The only negative is the distance from the bay - 3-4 hrs depending on where you're coming from.  About 2 from Sacramento.

So A- who's looking to get on some dirt next weekend and B- if so, does this sound like an option for you?

Let me know!

OK then, only two people chiming in so I suppose we'll be doing Poker Flats!

It's a bit of a haul from the bay but not so bad from Sac.  It's an easy trail with a great view from the fire lookout on the way.  Should be doable with any Rover.  One water crossing that could pose a bit of challenge but otherwise smooth sailing.

(says the guy who's only seen videos of the trail...)

With the distance let's start a bit later in the day.  Perhaps we plan to be at Downieville at 11:00.  I expect the trail to be about 4 hours if we do the full version through the old ghost towns/etc.  We can set up caravan meet-up points in the Sac area if we have enough people coming the same route.

I can't do an overnight myself as I need to work Sunday but looks like Eric will be camping.  I'll leave it to him on the details of that part.

I’m in as well I’ll have my pops And Katt with me. We’re gonna leave early Friday morning and head up and set up camp until Sunday. Not sure if I’m gonna be driving my Dodge or the defender.

I’ll bring up A bunch of rounds of firewood as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a recent vid about Poker Flat. I have not done this trail, but it appears to be very mellow trail with a couple small challenges and some pretty scenery. This would be a good opportunity for some more novice drivers and less built vehicles to get some experience and have some fun trail time and even do a water crossing without any real danger of damage. Our next MORG will be at Hell Hole, and although we are trying to figure out some more overlanding trails adjacent to the Jeep trail, it will be for built rigs.

So the short notice makes it tough, but I do think that this trail is a great way to get the summer wheeling started and something that nearly every member can participate in. Camping or day tripping always makes it easier too. I haven’t figured out my camping situation yet, maybe I’ll just wing it, but I’ll post up any ideas I get later.

Not sure whether Leigh Anne and I will camp over Sat night, but we’ll throw stuff in the 110 just in case. If we do stay over we’ll just sleep in the truck, so we’ll be able to pull into/next to anyone’s site wherever that might be.

Planning on stopping for lunch before starting the trail in Downieville, or should we just load the cooler?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m in as well I’ll have my pops And Katt with me. We’re gonna leave early Friday morning and head up and set up camp until Sunday. Not sure if I’m gonna be driving my Dodge or the defender.

I’ll bring up A bunch of rounds of firewood as well.

I wouldn't mind camping Friday night as well. No preference on location.

I may have a guest come in a G500 - owner of Morris Motors here in town.  She bought here 'dream car' G500 a couple months ago and was talking to Michele about getting it in the dirt.   This would be good beginner trail so I invited her.  Her son is also interested in either a P38 or RRC (er.....I know which I'd take!) and they work on pretty much everything from Ferrari and Lambo to Rover and Bentley to Toyota and Ford, though they originally specialized in Merc.  Hope to hear from her today. 

My May weekends have been officially eviscerated by family commitments.....Bridal showers, weddings, first communions, and more......have fun guys!

Ok, then the expectation is for the June MORG. Coincidentally, I am leading that one so prepare for receiving relentless hassle from me until you agree to make it. RELENTLESS if you don’t make it as well

Newbie here! Not too sure if I will be able to attend but this might be my first MORG! 

I won't be able to camp. How hard would the trail be for a LR3 with a lift with AT tires? I just want to make sure I can get myself out, alone. 

I don't expect any problems for a stock LR3.  There are only two spots that are anything more than basic fire roads (as I understand it); the river crossing and a hill after that.  Both are rocky but nothing a little tire placement can't solve.  No ledges, wash outs, tight squeezes, or big climbs, etc.  But you shouldn't need to worry about getting out alone as only some are camping while others are heading home on Saturday.

Does anybody want to meet up on the trip up?

I'm planning to head out from Walnut Grove about 7:30 and will stop for gas somewhere on the way.  I'll have the G500 along with me it looks like.

That puts me in Sacramento around 8-8:15 depending on exactly where.  I'll be coming up 5 then 99 - 70 - 20 - 49.  Or basically straight north to Yuba City then NE to Downieville.

Downieville meeting location - 11:00AM  Parking lot at corner of Main (highway 49) and Nevada.  

Basically Downieville is small enough we can't really miss each other, but might as well put a pin in it.  This is about the only place big enough to park several vehicles together.

See you guys there!

Downieville meeting location - 11:00AM Parking lot at corner of Main (highway 49) and Nevada.

Basically Downieville is small enough we can't really miss each other, but might as well put a pin in it. This is about the only place big enough to park several vehicles together.

See you guys there!

I'm in a baseball game, but looking forward to getting out in June!!