In addition to the DV trip coming up, we also have an April MORG to do. I have decided to move back the MORG one weekend (it’s normally the first weekend of the month) to the second weekend of April to avoid any overlap with the DV trip. This will allow any DV participant to attend the MORG if they’re still hungry for some Rovering and also give members another trip to attend in case they had conflicts that prevented them from attending the DV trip.

When : April 10-11, overnight is optional

Where: Indian Valley Reservoir

What: A roughly hour long dirt road along the ridge above Indian Valley Reservoir followed by some rovering around the lake. This will also be a trash pick up trip and a fishing trip.

Meet up: Saturday at 11am at the Road Trip Bar and Grill in Esparto, CA.

24989 State Highway 16

Esparto, Ca 95607

This will be a stock friendly trip. The road to Indian Valley Reservoir is a rocky and windy dirt road. It has goes along the top of a ridge and provides some beautiful views of the reservoir and also the valley on the other side of the ridge. Any high clearance vehicle can drive it without issue.

3eaa3836364ef1c9dfd37968cd072a9d.jpg

Once we arrive there will be ample areas around the lake to drive around and plenty of mud to get stuck in. I was just there last weekend and managed to get pretty stuck and even snap a winch line. The water was also extremely low which has pros and cons. It is much prettier full of water, but the low water means limitless areas to drive and camp. It is BLM land, so pretty much anything goes.

8e532490ab73376f492d79b422e9a14f.jpg

The downside to “anything goes” is that people trash the place. That is why this trip is going to be a clean up trip. Everybody is going to be expected to spend some time filling a trash bag with litter. There are so many shotgun shells, clay pigeons, busted EZ Up frames, cans, etc that it really ruins the area. We don’t have to go crazy with the clean up, but I want us as a club to do what we can to help maintain our hobby. So hopefully we all will drive out of there will a full trash-a-roo and we can feel good about our contribution.

8d932f9055eb45d1abad28f00365fad0.jpg

619cbad6ac33c6ea9571cb391c0e2da7.jpg

This will also be a fishing trip! I have never been skunked at IVR. I usually catch large mouth bass and I’ve also caught a turtle once. Catfish is also common to get from the shore and there are trout, crappie, and the usual suspects to catch, but i bass is the most common and easiest to get from my experience. 5e2899961c24f5d3a3ff9a560f48fb0c.jpg

efe430ce1cc23104d0667c19a88dc05d.jpg

I am planning on camping out. Anybody can easily head out the way they came if they want to make it a day trip. The stars are always out at IVR and the fish can sometimes be really active at night. Merlyn and I enjoy IVR as a regular camping area we use several times a year. It is unique in the freedom it has to offer and can really be a fun place to play. The only issue is the trashy people who go there and leave their crap behind. This trip will be a fun time and will also help keep IVR a pleasant place to visit by reducing the litter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was there on 3/26, not much water in the reservoir. Eric, where do you usually camp?

Usually over near the inlet off Bartlett Spring Rd somewhere. It’s typically filled with water up there, but I think they kept it low for Covid to deter people from going and combined with the lack of rain created the water level situation you saw

The Indian Valley trip was a success. We had 4 rovers attend, 3 D2’s and a D1. We had 1 mud recovery, 6 caught fish (3 Bass, 2 Carp, 1 catfish), and a bunch of trash picked up. We filled up 3 trash sacks, grabbed a shot up cooler, filled the cooler with more garbage, and collected an abandoned tent.

It was a nice and relaxing weekend with an isolated and quiet camping area. Everybody brought kayaks except for myself, so between the fishing, paddling, and chair sipping we had plenty to entertain ourselves with. The only unfortunate part of the trip was the fact that our efforts did not put much of a dent in the trash. I would encourage anyone visiting the area to bring an extra trash bag to fill and take home. The area is such a beautiful and fun place to visit, but the trash issue is getting out of control. It would really be a shame, and not a surprise, if they eventually restricted access to this unique place.

ac765a49ef662819e88cf4191674f81c.jpg

2a6f8ec4604536e58692bff996c1e601.jpg

1136445939a9a4e66bb493d26770a81b.jpg

14ded19c126cd8594280412441657dfc.jpg

85a919ea49937eeeb6662c61a44d6bd2.jpg

cc49c4bda86f3f8159279501530d0fef.jpg

Edited by Elherbinator