Mojave Road: Side Trips, Other Advice?

mirowsky

I'm planning to drive the Mojave Road in early November.

I would welcome your advice on what I should try to see, including side trips off the main road. 

I've got the Casebir guide, a couple of good maps, and a TRX tablet. But there is nothing like the advice of those who have been there.

I'll be in  stock 2013 LR4 that I've driven in the west Mojave (e.g., Raser Dunes, Mojave River crossings, ) and Death Valley (e.g., Steel Pass, Mengel Pass). No mods, but hasn't let me down yet. My only complaint has been the automatic lowering above 25 mph. Still, this is no rock crawler. 

Thanks for any advice, warnings, info or links you can share.

John

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/ the IID Gap Tool is a good thing to have. Not only does it allow you to control suspension height (for when you want to do something crazy like....go 26mph at off road height without a warning/lowering), but also reads codes, allows you to set some other preferences as well. Nice thing to have.

I have some lift rods that I'm not using, if you'd like to use those. They install in 30 minutes and give you 2.5" of lift, so basically off road height as the standard setting, extended height as the off road setting. Easy enough to install at the start of Mohave, and take off at the other end. They're yours for free, if you want 'em.

In terms of the Mojave Road, I don't have any advice for ya... I've never been but hopefully will be going there this winter, as well!

John, we did a joint trip with the AZ land rover club for New Year on the Mojave about 3 yrs back.

It was a solid trip - you shouldn't have issues with the LR4... someone on our trip also took their LR4. 

The variable is the water crossing near the end of Mojave Rd, where depth depends on rain, etc. When we went late Dec, it was about 3' IIRC. 

It does get cold at night, so have some warm clothing and sleeping bag. 

I can't remember if anyone posted trip gpx file... The trip was lead by AZ club, but maybe ping @DHappel or @RedRover who recorded the trek... That was before I knew Gaia existed.... 

Here is thread. Last couple pages has pix of the trip. 

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4647-new-years-on-the-mojave/

It's a fun trip! Have a good time! 

Chris:

Looks like you were deeper than the advertised 28" wading depth. Got the bow wave just right, though. Nice drivng.

I am thinking of a side trip up to the New York Mountains, so maybe I'll put some extra fuel on the rack just in case.

John

Foster:

I read up on the IID Tool. I remember looking into this about 4 years ago. Since then I've put on more miles, and aged out of warranties, so it looks more relevant now. Also, I think the Bluetooth option may not have been available for Android then. 

Looks like the IID gives much more choice, and keeps your hands clean too. Add the info on faults, and fault resetting, and it starts to look maybe worth the price for me now. 

What do you think? Has it proved worthwhile in your case? 

JOhn

Yup I was deeper than 28in but as I said was in off road height w lift rods. I’ve got a video from in the cab but can’t post here.

The gap tool is 100% worth it. Besides being able to adjust height and run in off road height at full speed (you change the normal height setting to a lifted setting) the diagnostic side is great. I threw a CEL on my last trip 5 min into day one of nine. Cleared it, had it return (rich bank 1 code). Then drove while monitoring fueling etc (have a video of that as well) and confirmed everything was ok. CEL self cleared on third start/stop cycle but the peace of mind was invaluable.

PM me your email if you are interested in seeing the vids of the water crossing and gap

Tool data.

If you have the guide book, that is they key -- I hear it is awesome. Your truck has already done way more than anything else that the Mojave Road would throw at you. Def. check out the lava tubes, and if the water crossing at the end is too deep, you can always back-track about 3 miles and escape to HWY 15 via "Rasor Road."

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure to check the water depth of the Mojave River crossing, especially if it has rained within the previous week.

I attempted to cross (solo) in February, 72 hours after it had rained, and the river was 40-48†deep. No bueno with a 2†lifted RRC.

Next time I’m going to wade across first to check the depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mepienta

• 1 month later...

OK. I got the Casebier Mj Rd guide book. Also the California Trails Desert Region (APC Publishing, Massey, Wilson and Titus). It covers many of the side trails off the main road. I hope to take parts of East Lanfair Road to Castle Mountains (western side of the Piute Range), Carruthers Canyon into the New York Mountains, Hole-in-the-Wall and Macedonia Canyon, and the Cima Dome trail to the Lava Tubes. I also have Louis L'Amour's novel Mojave Crossing. It weaves into the story all the water holes. I probably can't do all of this, but I'll see how much I can get to in 4 days.

I will definitely wade the deep water crossings before trying to drive them. I've made up a wading kit with quick-dry shorts, water sandals, and a folding wooden yardstick. I hope the water isn't too cold.

I got the IID tool and tried it out on the club run up to Bear Valley area. Don saved the day, helping me to get it fully registered so I could use the advanced functions. It is great. Now I wish I'd gotten one years ago.

Thanks all.

John