LR3 Windshield Replacement

post-1181-0-25753600-1534881783_thumb.jpg

Anyone have a recommendation for a good place to get a LR3 windshield replaced on/near the peninsula? I had a small chip that developed into a spider crack after a car wash.  I will most likely have insurance cover it and pay my $500 deductible since I suspect it will be about that much.  So I am looking for a place that will do a quality job.

Thanks!

--

Ben

attachicon.gifIMG_3552.JPG

Anyone have a recommendation for a good place to get a LR3 windshield replaced on/near the peninsula? I had a small chip that developed into a spider crack after a car wash. I will most likely have insurance cover it and pay my $500 deductible since I suspect it will be about that much. So I am looking for a place that will do a quality job.

Thanks!

--

Ben

I’ve gotten 4 windshields replaced in the last couple years. From an Audi TT to a Chevy Tahoe. They all cost me under $200 from one of those mobile guys (wasn’t Safelite). My AAA roadside membership also gave me $50 towards it. So unless you need special defrosters or something, I don’t see why it would be over $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve gotten 4 windshields replaced in the last couple years. From an Audi TT to a Chevy Tahoe. They all cost me under $200 from one of those mobile guys (wasn’t Safelite). My AAA roadside membership also gave me $50 towards it. So unless you need special defrosters or something, I don’t see why it would be over $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred.  I've gotten my 2006 Subaru Impreza windshield replaced for that much.  BUT I do have the windshield with the little squiggly lines for the defroster.  And from what I remember reading elsewhere it would be more expensive than a normal windshield.

I agree, it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred.  I've gotten my 2006 Subaru Impreza windshield replaced for that much.  BUT I do have the windshield with the little squiggly lines for the defroster.  And from what I remember reading elsewhere it would be more expensive than a normal windshield.

Agreed. Any time there is any electrical on the windshield the cost goes up. You can usually ask for a replacement windshield without defrost heating elements, adaptive headlamp brightness, etc. and the cost will be lower, but you ultimately give up those features.

I had my LR3 windshield done a while back but up in the Sac area so not much help for you.  Yes, it was expensive compared to a 'normal' car but I don't recall the exact amount.  

If you can't live without the heating element in the glass then ask your nearest dealer where they send their cars to, and see how much the glass is. Last I checked for LR3 the glass with the heating element was $900 for the part plus whatever their glass shop charges labor. 

I lived without the heated windscreen, but given the choice again if I wasn't hurting for cash I would the heated one. 

I've always had Safelite handle it, and have had excellent experiences with almost all their installers. You can request original glass and if your insurance is decent they'll often allow it.

You'll also want to make sure the lens for the rain sensor is pre-installed on the glass. I've heard of some cheapy companies trying to reuse it, which will not work well.

We got the Mercedes windshield replaced a few months back. With OEM glass it was $1k total (all covered by insurance). When we had the Toyota it was only $300 for a replacement.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.  I ended up going through my insurance's recommended place Safelite.  I opted to bring it in (Redwood City) instead of a mobile install.  Some how it ended up being below my $500 deductible.  

Total with tax was $485

They also put in brand new outside A-pillar covers.  Windshield was listed at $855.20 but sold to be at $243.73 and labor was $152.  Not sure why they lowered the price and it ended up below my deductible, but I am not complaining and I am very happy with the job they did.

You may just want to check the glass and your paperwork. It has happened before elsewhere that a customer is given a verbal by the service manager and then ends up getting the non factory heated glass, price is lower, customer is happy but guess what? They did not get it in writing and the customer noticed later. 

I wish I had that kind of parts markup!  

Although that makes me wonder if they actually used an OEM glass?  And did you have the heated windshield?

Don’t all glass have to be DOT compliant?

You may just want to check the glass and your paperwork. It has happened before elsewhere that a customer is given a verbal by the service manager and then ends up getting the non factory heated glass, price is lower, customer is happy but guess what? They did not get it in writing and the customer noticed later. 

It is possible they did not use the OEM glass which I am regretting not making sure of before.  Although will it really matter, is there a big difference?  And yes it definitely has the heated elements in it since you can visually see them. Safelite has a lifetime guarantee (as long as I own the car) to fix any thing that goes wrong including cracks but not including chips.

Don’t all glass have to be DOT compliant?

Yes, but that doesn't mean the aftermarket stuff is the same quality as the OEM.  In particular the aftermarket may not have the heating element or may have a slightly different tint color or any number of small differences.

It is possible they did not use the OEM glass which I am regretting not making sure of before.  Although will it really matter, is there a big difference?  And yes it definitely has the heated elements in it since you can visually see them. Safelite has a lifetime guarantee (as long as I own the car) to fix any thing that goes wrong including cracks but not including chips.

Safelite seems a pretty reputable company so I wouldn't sweat it too much.  

Archived