Oceano Dunes North Meets South Event - November 3 - 5th

The weather forecast said it will rain Saturday and Sunday.  How does that affect this event?  Is driving in wet sand different than dry sand?  Easier or harder?  I am thinking while not driving and back in camp, it is not fun stuck inside the tent the whole time.  Any suggestion?

-Julian

The weather forecast said it will rain Saturday and Sunday.  How does that affect this event?  Is driving in wet sand different than dry sand?  Easier or harder?  I am thinking while not driving and back in camp, it is not fun stuck inside the tent the whole time.  Any suggestion?

-Julian

Wet sand makes it easier to drive on gives you more traction.As of right now its only 20% Friday and Saturday and Sunday 40%. I

I'm packed and ready to roll in the morning.  Just have to stop for food and gas.  Now to download some podcasts for the long drive and see if I can stream them through my intercom.

Bring lots of firewood.  big fire > little rain

Thanks Chief Don from the Lucas Oil Tribe!  Lol.

I am tentative.  Just got words last night from my two young boys that they're invited to a special Robotics and the other one to a Cross Country lunch event Saturday (last minute) so I am on daddy duties tomorrow.  

If I make it out, meet you folks @ Efrens for dinner tomorrow and do some wheeling Sunday; otherwise, have a great time; don't get sucked into any quick sand (j/k), and I am looking forward to catching up with others here at the Drip in the Winery event on Nov 18/19:  http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5158-drip-in-the-winery-in-the-north-bay/ 

Thanks Chief Don from the Lucas Oil Tribe!  Lol.

I am tentative.  Just got words last night from my two young boys that they're invited to a special Robotics and the other one to a Cross Country lunch event Saturday (last minute) so I am on daddy duties tomorrow.  

If I make it out, meet you folks @ Efrens for dinner tomorrow and do some wheeling Sunday; otherwise, have a great time; don't get sucked into any quick sand (j/k), and I am looking forward to catching up with others here at the Drip in the Winery event on Nov 18/19:  http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5158-drip-in-the-winery-in-the-north-bay/ 

I'm in the same boat as Ron with some last minute stuff that crept up with my daughter. Sadly I'll be missing another Pismo trip :(

Sorry to see you two wont be able to make it. But family come first and there will always be a next time.

I'd get banned from the forum if I posted the picture associated with this ....

Graeme

Ever look back at something you said/typed and think 'yeah, I could have worded that differently'.   :P

Everybody made it home in more or less one piece.  At least as far as I know.

We ended up with Colin (RRC) and his friend in a Jeep Commander, Geanne (D1), Antonio (LR4), Julian and his wife (LR4), Lutzi (D2), and myself (D1).  Nills (LR3) came out to play on Saturday, and we had one SCLR guy in a D2 who I really should remember his name as I've met him a few times but I always forget... :huh:

We all arrived at different times Friday evening and did a little playing in the dunes but mostly set up camp, made dinner, and generally hung around the campfire.  Saturday morning we spent hours playing in the dunes.  We did get the LR4s stuck a time or two but nothing terrible and didn't break anything.  The Jeep got bogged down pretty good and overheated the transmission but was fine once it cooled.  Sadly no flying Rovers this year.  At least not more than the occasional bouncing the front tires off the ground - no full on jumps.  

Weather was great.  Little wind, and only a tiny sprinkle that you had to pay attention to even notice.  Temps were around 50 at night and maybe low 60s during the day.  There was also very little traffic which meant we didn't have the all-too-common midnight drunken yahoos hooning around with stereos at max - we actually had it pretty quiet.  The huge full moon was so bright even with mixed cloud cover Saturday night that it felt almost like daylight.

Saturday afternoon we came back in from playing in the sand and relaxed a bit before loading up and heading into town for dinner at Effrins.  I only ordered 3 tacos....should have ordered more - they were excellent!  

We came back to camp after and spent a couple hours of campfire time before heading out for some night running around 9PM(?).  Jeanne and Collins' Jeep friend stayed in camp, and Jullian and his wife left the truck parked (RTT already set up) and rode with others for a different experience.   There was full cloud cover this night so not much moonlight.  Luckily Lutzi knows the dunes like the back of his hand and we could be pretty confident he wouldn't run us off a drop at 20 mph.  We played for a couple hours, shooting bowls, high marking dunes, and generally hooning around (as one does in the dunes...)  At one point Lutzi ran a bowl and Colin decided to run it only higher only to hit a hard whoop on his new line.  From our side we saw the lights bounce and heard the crashing sounds but he came on through to where we were watching seemingly intact other than some 'clearanced' fenders from tire stuffage.  I ran the same loop but with the benefit of knowing there was a hump out there in the dark was able to avoid too much of a hit.  5 minutes later Colin came on the radio saying he needed to check on his steering as that hit may have bent something and it felt wrong.  We stopped on a fairly flat area and found he'd loosened a steering box line that was now puking oil everywhere.  It was easily tightened and we were back to playing in the dark.  

A bit later we got a little more separated and were all taking different lines looking for our own ways up a particular dune.  Somebody (Lutzi?) said they say Antonio's LR4 headlights coming at him approaching the bottom of a steep line, then an explosion of sand as he stuffed it into the side of the hill.  No problems, though he did knock the plastic cover off the front air dam.  Amazingly he was able to go back and find the piece of black plastic later in the dark!

Not long after Lutzi came over the radio to say 'Colin, your swing out is open' as he sees Colin's jerry can flopping around.  Colin then announces he's lost his spare somewhere in the dark.  Since it's a double swing out with a single latch holding them together once the spare carrier departed the other half was free to swing.  We strapped it closed and proceed to do our best to back-track until we found the spare with the swing-out still bolted to it in some washboards.  The weld was still intact but the metal where it was attached wasn't very thick and had torn free.  It likely had cracked much earlier in the day then been working more and more all day.  The big hit that night must have nearly done it in, then the washboards finally set it free.  We retrieved it and headed back to camp where we finally turned in around 1AM.

Sunday was a relaxed breakfast and breaking camp.  I went for a little early morning run down to the beach while everybody was still sleeping in as the time change meant I was up at 6:00AM.  We headed back toward the entrance and aired up and started making our separate ways home.  Jeanne decided to go back out and play in the sand a little longer as she didn't have to be home early.  Just after we got on the pavement we heard her on the radio asking if we were still in the park as she had gotten stuck.  Lutzi hadn't aired up (he lives in town so it's a short drive home for him) and headed back out to find her while the rest of us monitored the radios heading up 101.  We kept contact long enough to hear him find her, so I'll assume he was able to get her out.   :P

On my drive home I got a message from Greg asking what my ETA was and could he come by and change some motor mounts, so once I got home I got to spend a few hours in the shop helping him replace his mounts and checking on a few odds and ends.  And today I've been intentionally steering clear of the forum so I wouldn't get time-sucked into it and not accomplish anything (not that I need any help in that department).  Hence I'm a bit late in posting this report.

I didn't take many pics, but her's a link to what I have.  I know a lot of video and pictures were taken, and I missed plenty of stories from the weekend (like how Antonio learned you shouldn't run red and blue lights) so hopefully some others will chime in.  Feel free to add you pics to the gallery via the link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bPlZ2HTR2iU3KGKw1

Oh, also, these trips can be very expensive.  On Sunday Julian was asking a lot of questions about how much a nice RRC might cost and how much would it cost to build one up...

This is how it starts.  :)

Oh, also, these trips can be very expensive. On Sunday Julian was asking a lot of questions about how much a nice RRC might cost and how much would it cost to build one up...

This is how it starts. :)

There's quite a few of us with that same story!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for this weekend fun trip at the dunes.  And thank you for pulling me out of the sands many time.  I was probably the one that caused everyone to sat around the longest at the dunes waiting for me to get unstuck.  Thanks for guiding me through those slippery slopes.  I seemed to have trouble following directions.  So turn passenger side while going backward means turning the steering wheel left or right?  I should write that down on the windshield.  :blink:  Getting stuck tipping at 45 degree on the edge of a 40-foot drop was a bit scary, but you guys got me down safely in one piece.  Being a passenger in Don's and Lutzi's trucks during the Saturday night run was extremely fun.  Even Serine enjoyed it. 

Setting up the RTT took a bit of running back and fore to either side of the truck to unzip the cover and unfold the tent.  Maybe RTT is not as convenient as I first thought.  Even leaving small gaps in the tent, we still got quite a bit of condensation inside the tent.  Maybe adding a rainfly to create another layer may avoid moisture inside.

I noticed my neighbor has a Range Rover parked on the street and drove it occasionally and thought about chatting with him, at least introduced him to NCLR.  That truck looked like it has never touched any dirt road.  I also thought about getting one and make a better trail truck than my LR4.  Well, I haven't seem that truck for a couple weeks now, maybe he already sold it.  Too bad, too late.  I shouldn't spend anymore money anyway, I got the LR4 just a few months ago. 

Thank you Lutzi for hosting this trip and everyone who made this fun.  Driving in sand is more difficult that I thought and more difficult than driving in dirt trail.  But it was a good experience.

Jeanne decided to go back out and play in the sand a little longer as she didn't have to be home early.  Just after we got on the pavement we heard her on the radio asking if we were still in the park as she had gotten stuck.  Lutzi hadn't aired up (he lives in town so it's a short drive home for him) and headed back out to find her while the rest of us monitored the radios heading up 101.  We kept contact long enough to hear him find her, so I'll assume he was able to get her out.   :P

----

yeah... so, as much as i thought i'd be able to tool around and not get stuck, the hilarious part is that i actually got stuck once before i called out to you guys  ;)

i was kinda too embarrassed to call (bc i and i had literally *just left you guys!!) so i tried to figure it out myself. a dune buggy stopped by to make sure i was ok because i was literally just sitting there, thinking, not moving. but, thanks to low range and bit of wiggling the tires, i got myself out. 

it was a small little slope. and i just dropped in and, oops, planted the bumper right into the bottom. literally dead in water/sand, at about a 30-35 degree angle. lesson is: better to go down bigger slopes/faces than smaller ones - not a lot of options with the smaller ones.

anyway, when i got stuck the second time, lutzy  came to the rescue. a bit of airing down and i was good to go. thanks again, lutzy!

was a super fun trip! thanks everyone!

Julian, I can help you if you need a RRC? I will have 3 for sale shortly ... let me know what you want or I can help or build you one... sorry! for the plug. pm me

Thank you everyone for this weekend fun trip at the dunes.  And thank you for pulling me out of the sands many time.  I was probably the one that caused everyone to sat around the longest at the dunes waiting for me to get unstuck.  Thanks for guiding me through those slippery slopes.  I seemed to have trouble following directions.  So turn passenger side while going backward means turning the steering wheel left or right?  I should write that down on the windshield.  :blink:  Getting stuck tipping at 45 degree on the edge of a 40-foot drop was a bit scary, but you guys got me down safely in one piece.  Being a passenger in Don's and Lutzi's trucks during the Saturday night run was extremely fun.  Even Serine enjoyed it. 

Setting up the RTT took a bit of running back and fore to either side of the truck to unzip the cover and unfold the tent.  Maybe RTT is not as convenient as I first thought.  Even leaving small gaps in the tent, we still got quite a bit of condensation inside the tent.  Maybe adding a rainfly to create another layer may avoid moisture inside.

I noticed my neighbor has a Range Rover parked on the street and drove it occasionally and thought about chatting with him, at least introduced him to NCLR.  That truck looked like it has never touched any dirt road.  I also thought about getting one and make a better trail truck than my LR4.  Well, I haven't seem that truck for a couple weeks now, maybe he already sold it.  Too bad, too late.  I shouldn't spend anymore money anyway, I got the LR4 just a few months ago. 

Thank you Lutzi for hosting this trip and everyone who made this fun.  Driving in sand is more difficult that I thought and more difficult than driving in dirt trail.  But it was a good experience.

Archived