Oceano Dunes North Meets South Event - November 3 - 5th

NCLR/SCLR  Annual Gathering @ Oceano Dunes 

Home of the flying Rovers.https://youtu.be/s_okXIrRA0s

Before this trip, I need attendees to respond to the following questions below.

1) Your eta arrival to Oceano

2) Are you camping or staying in a hotel; if camping, can you bring a bundle of wood?

Attending

NCLR
      Ron
      Colin
      Jeanne
      Don
     Julian

SCLR

Jake

Trip Details (Print this)

Trip Planner: Lutz

Trail Leader: None. This is an NCLR gathering similar to the MORG @ Hollister. No trip leader. Ea person is responsible for their action and need to abide by Oceano SVRA park rules and regulations: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1215

Date/Time: NOV 3-5

Brief Trail Description: Welcome to Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA). Formerly Pismo Dunes SVRA, this sand dune complex is geologically unique and also provides an impressive playground for off-highway enthusiasts from throughout the United States. Oceano Dunes also offers visitors other recreational activities such as swimming, surfing, surf fishing, camping, and hiking: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1207

Meeting Location: Eucalyptus Campground

Directions to Oceano Dunes and Eucalyptus Campground:

Use this address for your vehicle GPS: 100 Pier Ave, Oceano, CA.

Or take:
- North or South Interstate 101.
- Take the Grand Avenue exit.
- Turn right (heading west).
- Approx 2 miles turn left on Pacific Coast Highway intersection
- Approx 1 mile turn right on Pier Avenue intersection (light).
- Aprox. ½ mile is the entrance to Oceano, SVRA (100 Pier Ave)

Here's an aerial view of this SVRA park: http://www.classicca...m/dunesmap.htm#

As you can see in the aerial view, there's the "Pier Ave" ramp (100 Pier Ave); follow Pole 1, 2, 3....

Use the map provided to get the camp - after Pole 6 and before Pole 7 (Competition Hill), turn towards camp.

Radio Ham 
146.460 NCLR
Repeaters
147.0300 127.3

Fees (yes); Make your reservation:     Search for Oceano Dunes SVRA

Vehicle Requirements: Stock Land Rovers welcomed, but best with high clearance 4x4 vehicles. Air down to the recommend psi for your tires/vehicles while on the beach; for example, I'm running 255/85/16 KMs on my D2 - going down between 10-15 psi. Also make sure your vehicle is in good working condition.

Required Safety Equipment: flag can be picked up next to the entrance to the beach, fire extinguisher

Required Recovery Equipment: Strong recovery points (front and rear)

Misc Equipment: shovel, first aid kit, repair tools (to suit your vehicle), tire gauge and tire pump.

Weather Forecast and Trail Conditions: mostly sunny; windy highs in the 60s lows in the 40s at night.

Expected Trail conditions: Will check as we get closer to the date.

Clothing Suggestions: warm weather but bring layers as it gets cold at night.

Property Information
Oceano SVRA Ranger Station
928 Pacific Blvd.
Oceano CA
805-773-7170
Call 911 for emergencies

Entrance to the Park
100 Pier Ave.
Oceano, CA

Nearby Towing and Repair Services info: Kautz Towing (805) 489-2336

Gas/Service Station Locations in the area: several especially on Grand Ave

Other Info:
Bring your camera and extra batteries, tent/sleeping bag if camping, extra garbage bags, sunscreen, GPS Unit optional certainly map of the area and compass, drinking water (primitive camp - no drinking water avail), nights might be cold - bring extra blanket and warm clothing/fire wood, Full size spare/repair kit.

ok ... i'm in!

made a camping reservation already (covers 8 bodies) and one car.

so you can glom onto my res for camping. overnight parking for your car is additional 

(just passing along info i got ... this is all new to me ... apologies if redundnant/known already).

i will arrive fri late afternoon from SF.

will be camping.

not planning firewood at this point but can bring if no one else does.

thanks!

Ah crap.....this is the same weekend Cris set his Lost Coast trip just a couple days ago!

Yea wanted to do it the week after but its Veterans day weekend so a no go for me.

ok ... i'm in!

made a camping reservation already (covers 8 bodies) and one car.

so you can glom onto my res for camping. overnight parking for your car is additional

8 is about right for a carousel; we should invite Dan, and have him play the accordion.  Lol.

Looks like Michele can't make anything this weekend so I'll be alone.  I was going to do LC with her, but solo I think I'm going to bring the D1 down your way.

No plans yet re: schedule but expect arrival Friday afternoon.  

I'll be camping and I'll bring firewood.

Thank you Lutz for organizing this MORG.  Serine and I will arrive Friday evening, stay at hotel Friday night.  Is anyone stay Saturday night?  If yes, we will camp Saturday night and head back to Bay Area Sunday.

-Julian

Thank you Lutz for organizing this MORG.  Serine and I will arrive Friday evening, stay at hotel Friday night.  Is anyone stay Saturday night?  If yes, we will camp Saturday night and head back to Bay Area Sunday.

-Julian

Yes, a lot of people stay Saturday night. Usually a night run gets done after dinner and before it gets too terribly late. Then everyone returns to camp and hangs out around the campfire and many a yarn are spun.

No boy scout or other commitments that weekend so, yes I will be there.  Bummed me out that I missed last year, I had a good streak going. I'll be along some time later Friday evening with some firewood.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm planning to take Friday off and head down relatively early. Anybody interested in caravaning? I can be somewhat flexible on my departure time. I was thinking between 8 and 10...?

OK - got my reservation made.  I'll be arriving Friday afternoon, camping both nights.  I'm traveling solo (no Michele) and will plan to leave my place in Walnut Grove between 8 and 10; figure a 5 hr drive depending on stops.  I'll be on 146.460 ... I don't remember if there is cell service on the dunes.  I'll bring firewood.

So many dates overlapping!

I live 20 miles from the dunes, but will be driving 800 miles to East of Phoenix for the AZLRO Goldfield Rally that weekend.

See ya on the next one!

--Paul

I'm planning to take Friday off and head down relatively early. Anybody interested in caravaning? I can be somewhat flexible on my departure time. I was thinking between 8 and 10...?

hi don. I'm down for caravaning. m flexible on my depature too on fri since i work from home these days :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I was just looking at the forecast.  Says 50% chance Friday and Saturday.  High about 60; low about 50.

I have no idea how rain will effect the dunes.  I do know how it will effect a guy driving a truck with no top or rear windows though.  :)  

(it won't stop me, but I may get a little wet)

I will bring some firewood but not sure if we will be able to have a fire if it is raining. 

AA

Depends on how hot you get the fire before it really starts to come down. We stood around in the rain and cold at shaver this year with a nice hot fire*. If the fire is hot enough and it's not raining that hard the heat will actually evaporate the rain before it hits the fire.

*didn't stop me from catching one hell of a cold that took me a couple of weeks to recover from.

I'm planning to leave Walnut Grove about 9AM Friday and will meet up with Jeanne in the Morgan Hill area about 11-ish then we'll head down together.  Figure around 3-4 hours from there depending on stops for gas/food, so that puts us there at 2-3 pm.  

We'll head in to the camp area and look for you guys there - I figure Lutz may be the only one there that early.  I'll have the radio on 146.460.

I'll bring firewood as well.

Planning to be out there at 2pm will have radio on. Thinking about  a group dinner at Efren's Saturday night if anyone is interested .They have great taco and burritos. 

I was just looking at the forecast.  Says 50% chance Friday and Saturday.  High about 60; low about 50.

I have no idea how rain will effect the dunes.  I do know how it will effect a guy driving a truck with no top or rear windows though.  :)  

(it won't stop me, but I may get a little wet)

ever heard of quick sand ,  :lol:

Archived