Official Death Valley trip (4-15)

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only 100 miles from home, so not as bad as it could be. Transmission cover blew right off ! Sounded Ike a boom. It covered the car behind me with transmission fluid. Inspite of that I had an awesome time. The wheeling was some of the best I have ever done. The flowers are blooming everywhere. The scenery was incredible. Chuck Linda Marla Laura Will John Paul Arthur Barbara Dominic Nathan Corinne and his son Gryphen are some of the best camping and wheeling friends you could ask to have on a trip.

Hit pavement. On route to Shoshone Nathan's rover started overheating

Had to strap him up a long grade. Made it to Shoshone and discovered viscous fan clutch was out. Hard wired the ac fan and kept rolling. Spending night in tehachapi

No idea what the vehicle is, but might I recommend this if it is correct?  Serpentine belt version.

http://www.roverware.us/fan-clutch-viscous-type-err3443/

Regards,

Graeme

I, too, would like to send a shout-out to:

1. Chuck -- and family -- for leading the trip and having a GREAT attitude even in challenging circumstances. Linda is the best!

2. Don -- always steady with his rig and great with comm's. And continuously there to lend a hand when needed. A very huge asset to NCLR.

3. Nathan -- my spotter and RRC mentor. And the owner of Gryphon, the most entertaining little tyke ever!

4. Will -- my camping buddy. Really helped me out on a huge difficult climb. Thanks very much for the sweet vids (and steaks!)!

5. Andrew and Cindy -- Great to have the aspect of learning the flora of DV -- and Andrew to confirm which range to be in!

6. Arthur and family -- running out to the desert on a (not too fully sussed-out) RRC. And then simply driving it up one of the steepest hills in DV with aplomb!

My rig performed like a champ, never skipped a beat. The only bits to address are a loosened rear light guard (washboard roads), a tweeked rear sway bar bushing, a snapped zip-tie holding my rear axle electric loom in place, and dust, dust , dust.

Interesting to see the various modes d'emploi in the camping realm. Us solo dudes went with the RRT option, while those with families were pretty much forced to put it on the ground. Even with the extra height up top, there was never an clearance issue with the RTT's but Chuck's radio antenna's were another story.

See ya'll on the next one!

Paul

...discovered viscous fan clutch was out. Hard wired the ac fan and kept rolling. Spending night in tehachapi

Just FYI, if the viscous fan clutch fails and wont lock up when hot here's a get you home trick, especialluy if hotwiring the ac fans isnt cutting it.\

Drill a couple of holes through the clutch and put a couple of screws/bolts through the clutch to manually lock it up and force the fan to run at full tilt. It may ding your fuel economy a bit, but you'll make it wherever you need to get...

- Also, in intel on the condition that Steele Pass was in? Jose from SCLR is talking about leading a trip up to Saline Valley later next month and was wondering..

Just FYI, if the viscous fan clutch fails and wont lock up when hot here's a get you home trick, especialluy if hotwiring the ac fans isnt cutting it.\

Drill a couple of holes through the clutch and put a couple of screws/bolts through the clutch to manually lock it up and force the fan to run at full tilt. It may ding your fuel economy a bit, but you'll make it wherever you need to get...

- Also, in intel on the condition that Steele Pass was in? Jose from SCLR is talking about leading a trip up to Saline Valley later next month and was wondering..

While mulling it over with Nathan I briefly pondered a way to just lock the fan 'on'.  Of course we didn't have a drill handy and would that would have required removing the fan or radiator for access.  In the end no need - we just hard-wired one of the air-con electric fans (only one was working it turns out) and he didn't have an issue the rest of the way.  Or at least as far as Tahatchapi where I left the group.  

Steel pass was a cake-walk.  Just enough rock to be interesting.  Jose should have no problems with it.  He *may* want a spotter at the toughest spot but even without one he should be fine.  We also found Goler to be super-easy and in oddly good condition.  Mengel Pass has a little more entertainment but again not a problem. 

Only 100 miles from home, so not as bad as it could be. Transmission cover blew right off ! Sounded Ike a boom. It covered the car behind me with transmission fluid. Inspite of that I had an awesome time. The wheeling was some of the best I have ever done. The flowers are blooming everywhere. The scenery was incredible. Chuck Linda Marla Laura Will John Paul Arthur Barbara Dominic Nathan Corinne and his son Gryphen are some of the best camping and wheeling friends you could ask to have on a trip.

What??  No warning?  No lights, no over-temp?  

Which cover are you referring too?  I need to look under a rig to get a visual idea of what's what on that unit but I haven't heard of that before.

I'm curious to know more.  First you drove all the way there with no issues then we had the slipping problem and found the low oil but never had a warning light and as I understand the D2 should have a trans temp light (?).  Then we check the oil 'by the book' and end up adding about 1.5 qts and you drive the rest of the trip w/o issue, including the long highway climb to Tahatchapi, only to have a catastrophic failure on the last day.  

One more thing... when we were in Ballarat with the 2 dudes in the Tacoma that said they were going to "Their Cabin." I think I found it on Google maps. It's off of the road to "Middle Park Canyon" and you can see a structure at 36.024971 X 117.159510 -- looks like a cabin facing a large rock wall after you pass through a mining camp.

Let's do it.

Paul

I'll let Chuck tell the full story since this was his trip, but I know you all really just want to hear the gory bits anyway... ;)

So the carnage/repairs story goes like this:

Chuck's D2 - lost his radio antenna which we temporarily jerry-rigged by swapping his CB mount but eventually the antenna came off again.  It looks like after many years of service the threads have mostly given way.  His roof-rack jerry can holder also broke it's mounting ties and had to be re-secured.  Of course neither of those is a Rover issue but I had to put something down :)   As for Chuck himself, he too suffered a 'mechanical malfunction' but he was able to soldier through.

Andrew's D2 - early on he reported a slipping trans after a highway run and we found him low on oil.  After filling it seemed to be fine the rest of the trip then just now I read that he had a catastrophic failure just before getting home.  He also had a motor mount fail which we ratchet strapped together as best we could so he could complete the last couple days of the trip.

Arthur's RRC - A dead battery that required a jump a couple times when left to run the fridge more than 24 hrs, but then on the run down from Brigg's Cabin he could only run at idle; popping and sputtering under any load.  We swapped the ignition module but that didn't solve it.  He suspected a fuel filter or pump failing and left the group to head for home.  I understand he made it fine but haven't heard the post-mortem and will have to wait for the 'rest of the story'.

Nathan's RRC - ate a front shaft U-joint early which was swapped at camp then ran fine the whole trip until we got on the highway in near 100* heat at which point she began over heating on the climb out of the valley.  We gave her a short tow to the top of the hill then she ran down to Shoshone where we cooled her down and hard-wired the electric fan.

So far as I know nobody else suffered any mechanical issues.  

It was a great trip and thanks to Chuck for putting it on. There's so much to explore in that area you could spend years and not see it all but it seemed like every trail we passed Chuck would come on the radio and say 'there's an interesting old cabin/mine/thing up there....'  He really does know his way around down there.  I'll have to get back down again sometime to be sure.  Maybe as a joint north/south run since it's sorta in their back yard anyway.

Maybe as a joint north/south run since it's sorta in their back yard anyway.

We've been mulling over returning to Panamit Springs as a base camp for Rover Rendezvous for this year. Will let you know more details as soon as we firm something up, right now its only in the maybe phase of planning.

Only 100 miles from home, so not as bad as it could be. Transmission pan cover blew right off ! Sounded Ike a boom. It covered the car behind me with transmission fluid. There was no temperature light that came on and no warning at all.. Inspite of that I had an awesome time. The wheeling was some of the best I have ever done. The flowers are blooming everywhere. The scenery was incredible. Chuck Linda Marla Laura Will John Paul Arthur Barbara Dominic Nathan Corinne and his son Gryphen are some of the best camping and wheeling friends you could ask to have on a trip. I want to thank everybody for their support kindness love and friendship.

Great pics, Don! May I use one them for my A) screen-saver, B) Avatar and C) Send one to a Rover parts house?

--Paul

Great pics, Don! May I use one them for my A) screen-saver, B) Avatar and C) Send one to a Rover parts house?

--Paul

I'm sorry, but all content is the sole property of the creator and any use or representation without the express written consent of the owner shall be considered punishable under law.

On the other hand - help yourself!   :D

Hey guys it's Andrew. I'm at the point now where I need to find and replace my transmission. I found a used one with 75,000 miles on it installed for $3200 I found a rebuilt one installed for $4500 I have not been able to find a new replacement transmission.are used one is a truck being parted out here at our very own Ceronies of Redwood City.does anyone have any advice or information pertaining to my situation I would surely appreciate it.

So here goes my trip report. I'm too lazy to dig up pix from each day, but so be it.

1. Day 1 - Early Friday morning we left for Gold Point. It was quite the drive, we met up with Don and Will in Placerville. Did a quick shopping trip at the Walmart there for missing camping gear, then continued on and had lunch at Topaz Lake. Continued down 395 and cut over to Nevada and Gold Point at Big Pine. Stopped and saw the graveyard of a couple pioneer children - didn't ever figure out the back story there. Everyone's rig was running good - and we made it into Gold Point before nightfall. Checked into one of Sherriff Stones cabins for the night so we didn't have to unpack tent. It was luxurious - an old Senator from Nevada's former habitat. Met up with Ted who was waiting for us. 

2. Day 2 - Saturday - Woke up to a big breakfast and sent the guys on on a early morning run. I wasn't feeling too well - should have listened to my body a bit more closely because by about 1pm I was headed to the nearest emergency room - Which was unfortunately 150 miles away in Pahrump, NV. Luckily, no vehicle problems and also the doctors did me right and we got back to camp about 8pm. Next time I think I'll have Ted (an emergency room doctor himself) check me out before he goes! Andrew and family joined up as well as Paul. Another good steak dinner with the Sherrif - but Linda and I didn't partake. Andrews transmission (more on this later) was way low on fluid. Added fluid, couldn't find where it was leaking out of. 

3. Day 3 - Sunday - Part of the crew headed for Tonopah for Easter services, others stayed back. That afternoon, took a quick run to Hardluck Castle and took the $10 tour. Pretty amazing place. Organ was installed, but not completely playing yet and we couldn't talk him into giving us a sample. Think it needs to be perfect before he plays it. Gassed up in Gold Point for only $4 per gallon. 

4. Day 4 - Monday - Finally on the road. We traced some on the map but little used routes from Gold Point to Teakettle junction. So little used that we almost got lost. After Teakettle - we headed to the Eureka Sand Dunes in search of Nathan. No Nathan, but we followed in his footsteps over Dedekera Canyon and Steele Pass. Climbing our first obstacle - discovered my Disco was leaking rear diff fluid. Low and behold - my rear diff bolts were almost 1/2 to 3/4 turn loose. Guess we didn't use locktite when we put them in last and the washboards were doing them in. Tightened em up and kept on moving. Stopped at the Marble bath and searched for Buhrmans murder cabin a bit - but couldn't find the turnoff. Canyon had pretty much rearranged the road coming into the springs - it may be lost forever. Paul spotted the roof (we think) a few thousand yards off the trail -- but it was hot and we were close to camp so didn't explore. Plus I wasn't too mobile at the time!

That night cooked up dinner and some went and soaked in the springs. Got a camp site that was somewhat sheltered - near Lizard Lee's place - but it was still quite windy. Between the wind and the herd of Burros I don't think many got a good nights sleep. We now were at our all time high number of vehicles this trip - Nathans, Arthur, Will, Paul, Andrew, Don,  and us. We were able to make good time with a group that small.

5. Day 5 - Tuesday. Cruised out of the springs, stopped at the Salt lake and went for a quick hike. Then it was on up Lippencott. Hit the race track - saw the rock trails - and had a rain squal hit. What was amazing to me was that the racetrack smelled just like Cannery Row on a busy morning. Never smelled the wet brine like that before. I am also happy to relate that the tire tracks on the Playa, while visible, don't look as bad as the reports indicated.  After we did Salt Lake we took a unscheduled climb up to Uhebe Mine - took the more challenging route - got a wheel in the air - got a little crazy there. Oh and did I say I wasn't driving most of the trip? Marla has slipped right into "Tyler" mode and I couldn't pry her away from the wheel if I tried. After making it down safely, we stopped at Teapot Junction and then took a climb up to Lost Burro mine. We started keeping track of the different flowers - I think we counted nearly 50 individual species by the time we were done with our trip. 

Our campsite goal was Boxcar Cabin, which is always empty. Until of course today. And the wind was blowing hard. There was a car parked there, no-one came out to greet us -- but it looked as if someone had set up for the night. So then the mad dash for Panamint Springs (where we got a paid $10 tent site) began. It was a good thing we brought extra gas - just about everyone needed 5 gallons just to make it to Panamint on Fumes. That night, Nathan swapped out his failing front drive shaft for a spare I had brought along. I think he liked it - it was a brand new heavy duty GBR one. Hopefully I get it back!

6. Day 6 - Wednesday. Bulk of crew headed to Ballarat - where Rocky was gone. We found out later he was hanging out in town (Trona) with one of his girlfriends. Crew took a run to try and get Briggs Camp -- and Succeeded! This was to be our campsite for the next 2 days. In the meantime - Linda and I had to take a run to another emergency room - this time in Lone Pine - for a followup procedure. Got through that quickly and rejoined the group at Briggs. I was able to raise them on the Ham from only 5 miles out from Panamint City - so guess communications were working well...until a bit later when my antenna finally gave up the ghost. Threads were shot on the antenna. Anyone know a good trick for saving them? 

7. Day 7 - Thursday - Some crew stayed behind, while remainder did the Pleasant Canyon Loop. Yes - the bridge and Chicken rock are open again - no signage to the contrary. Nathan spotted me across Chicken Rock - the stones rolling down the side of the mountain while I was going around it were a bit disconcerting - but everyone made it safe. Found a cool old mine shaft near South Park that I never saw before - and then a Jeeper pulled up with Andrews Hi Lift Jack in tow. Apparently he dropped it in one of the brushy areas we had crossed. Damaged his passenger rear view mirror, but nothing else. Lucky...

Did a pretty exciting hill climb up to the 7200 foot level to an outlook. Paul's rig which was stock acquitted itself nicely the whole trip -- but there was a spot on that climb he had to back down about 20 feet to get another run. I think that must have been scary..Then we made it back down Pleasant Canyon -- looks like some of the mines were getting active especially at Claires Camp. Will and Paul needed to head out - Paul for work, Will to do the "tourist thing" in Death Valley - so we said our goodbyes. About 30 minutes later it was time to say goodbye to Arthur - he was having ignition control (or fuel filter) issues -- and decided to head to Ballarat to fix it and head home rather than chance it for another night. So remainder of group (Nathan, Andrew, Don,  Desertcrawler) headed back to Briggs for the second night.

8. Day 8 - Friday - Headed out from Briggs and up to Goler Wash. Trail was good (too good) most of way, including Mengel. Sad to relate that both Russels Camp and Barker Ranch are showing signs of disrepair and age. They need work or they will revert to the desert. Found a couple monuments/grave sites up at the top of Mengel and took a good shot of the whole crew on a rock near the pass. Only occupied cabin in Striped Butte was Geologist - so we settled in at a "waterless" Russels camp. We tried, but without Dan Harris we couldn't figure out how to get the water flowing. Most of the cottonwood tree had fallen down - only one branch of it showed signs of life. Sure hope someone that knows how can get the water flowing again.

9. Day 9 - Saturday - From Striped Butte to Warm Springs - where we explored the warm springs there. Resort was looking to be in good shape - think the rehab work the Park Service had done was working. Unfortunately - the talc mine was boarded up with no way to access. So I think the walk underground there is something that has gone the way of the past. From Warm Springs we hit pavement then -blam - Nathan starts oveheating. Limped our way into Shoshone with several water stops and a few tow straps along the way. Diagnose there - decided to push on.  Heading downhill meant we could make it to Tehacaphi - thanks to a little "don-geenering" to hotwire the air conditioning fan. Everyone was beat when we hit Tehachapi  but Don - he elected to press on to home. Rest of group got a hotel room. 

10. Day 10 - Sunday -  Checked out my diff and saw a bit more leakage, which I fixed in the parking lot of the hotel room. In the meantime, Nathan headed off to San Luis in the early morning cool (made it safe) and Andrew headed out a bit earlier than us. Andreq wasn't so safe - the suspect trnasmission somehow blew up on Highway 5 in the fast lane. I'm sure more will be told of what happened there. We ended up back in the Bay area around 5pm.

All in all, a good adventure with some carnage mixed in but nothing that really slowed anyone down. Sorry for those who had to bow out - you missed a good time!

Chuck,  I am rather fond of that nice new DS but it is coming off this weekend.. I will UPS it up to you next week.   Really appreciate the use of it..

Had a fantastic trip & the family want's to do it again.

Will post pics when I have a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Very vivid pictures, what did you shout this on?

Looks like a great trip! Like to make it out there some day!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Archived