A 1996 Discovery Named CharDee

Rum_Ham

Hi all! My name is Dave. I am new to the forum, and will officially become a member this weekend. I have long been a lover of all things Land Rover, but only recently purchased my first. I had been watching craigslist like a hawk for months waiting for the right deal to come along. It was a Friday night when I saw CharDee for the first time. It was only a week later that I made the trek to San Carlos. As my girlfriend and I are making our way through a residential neighborhood, she turns to me, "how will we know which house it is?". Immediately after she spoke those words, we see Graeme poke out from between two Rovers. Long story short, Graeme was kind enough to tell us about this great forum/club.  

I haven't had a ton of time or extra money to do a lot yet, but I have managed to chip away at some of the things that were bothering me. The first thing I did after some maintenance and an alignment, was strip all of the dreaded purple tint off. It took almost 10 hours to get it all off, but well worth it in the end. Next up was getting rid of the sagging headliner, and replacing some broken interior pieces. Last but not least, a set of Cooper Discoverer 265/70R16s.

I can't wait to do some more serious work on this thing, and meet more of you fine folks!

http://i.imgur.com/1hYR008.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5AhNZjT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mKAdtI6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yXhzUQg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bxd9Hqa.jpg

Looking good, what did you end up doing with the headliner? Did you strip the cloth and fuzz then paint it?

I'm in the process of doing something with mine so definitely curious.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Graeme was involved?   I'm not sure if I should compliment you or apologize.   :P

Actually Graeme is a good guy and I'm sure a truck from him would be in solid condition.   He does know his way around a Rover to be sure.

Why wait until this weekend to join?  Why not sign up now and come out with us on the Mines and Ghost Towns tour over the weekend?  It'll be a nice easy run to break the new rig in!  We'll also be looking for you at the end of the month at OctRoverFest in Hollister!

Looking good, what did you end up doing with the headliner? Did you strip the cloth and fuzz then paint it?

I'm in the process of doing something with mine so definitely curious.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks man! 

That's exactly what I did. I actually ended up using plasti-dip to paint it. I started with Home Depot brand black paint, but the coverage was terrible. I blew through almost 6 cans and only had good coverage on about 1/4 of the liner. 6 cans of plasti-dip was almost enough to cover the whole thing. If I were to do it again I would probably do at least one more solid coat, so maybe 8 cans or so. Just make sure you use a fairly stiff brush or a sacrificial towel to knock all of the old foam/adhesive off. Also, don't apply to much pressure, as you will end up smushing all the orange crap together making it much harder to get it all off. It's not as nice as having a real headliner, but it beats the hell out of constantly having to lift a sagging one out of my view. 

Graeme was involved?   I'm not sure if I should compliment you or apologize.   :P

Actually Graeme is a good guy and I'm sure a truck from him would be in solid condition.   He does know his way around a Rover to be sure.

Why wait until this weekend to join?  Why not sign up now and come out with us on the Mines and Ghost Towns tour over the weekend?  It'll be a nice easy run to break the new rig in!  We'll also be looking for you at the end of the month at OctRoverFest in Hollister!

That sounds awesome! I am not sure if I will be able to make it, but I will definitely make every effort.

Nice looking Disco... so do you have the euro/clear turn signals on the truck or the amber colored ones?  The pics show both...

Thanks! Graeme actually had the Euro turn signal lamps on when I picked it up, but I swapped them out for the amber. I just prefer the amber look on the white.

Welcome Dave! Good looking Disco there, and glad you still joined in spite of Graeme! :P

See ya on the trails. 

Thanks!

Thanks! 

I'm not sure D1's were ever available in any other color... I will have to get with my fact checker! 

Haha!

It's not a 5 speed at least ;-)

Short boring story that the rest of the club is already tired of hearing me repeat...

I'll share with you over a beer at the Member Appreciation Weekend end of the month

Again, welcome!!

Haha!

It's not a 5 speed at least ;-)

Short boring story that the rest of the club is already tired of hearing me repeat...

I'll share with you over a beer at the Member Appreciation Weekend end of the month

Again, welcome!!

I am looking forward to it!

Archived