Recovery Equipment questions!!!

Jantiz

I want to start getting some needed items for future gatherings and I need a little advice, as far as what's recommended and where to get it.

1) Recovery strap: I noticed they come in 2 widths and many brands. Which and where?

2) Recovery "D" rings : Weight rating and where?

3) Sleeping cots, specialy the cool ones with their own cover: Sugestions for outdoor camping?

4) Sliders: I'm partial to the Rasta 4X4 lower door guards. Made of thick aluminum, only $500, easy to install and keep the stock look. I'm not sold yet on the sliders that make the LR3 look like it has running boards and cost 3 times as much, but I'm hardly the expert on sliders. Sugestions, opinions?

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to share their expertise!

Here is what I purchased off of ebay

ProComp recovery strap 2"x20' 20,000 lb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=230188732637

D-ring shackles

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=320197434496

I never had to use it to recover my own vehicle, but after the last snowstorm, I was able to help pull a Hummer H2 out of a snowbank without much issue.

Someone else will probably need to chime in for cots and rock slider. I am a air mattress kinda guy as they take up alot less room then a cot. I own a queen size "all-terrain" Aerobed and tried it out a few times sleeping on top of rocks, with no issues of puncture or loss of air. Also a regular pad or self inflating pad is a good choice if your worried about the issues of an air mattress.

I want to start getting some needed items for future gatherings and I need a little advice, as far as what's recommended and where to get it.

1) Recovery strap: I noticed they come in 2 widths and many brands. Which and where?

3) Sleeping cots, specialy the cool ones with their own cover: Sugestions for outdoor camping?

4) Sliders: I'm partial to the Rasta 4X4 lower door guards. Made of thick aluminum, only $500, easy to install and keep the stock look. I'm not sold yet on the sliders that make the LR3 look like it has running boards and cost 3 times as much, but I'm hardly the expert on sliders. Sugestions, opinions?

Here you go with my thoughts. I would use LRRFORUMS store -- check with Tony, for #1 and #2. ARB sells a recovery gear bag that includes straps and D-shackles that you might want to consider. What I use on a regular basis is a "yank strap" -- long strap for hauling out vehicles, a wider shorter "tree saver" strap -- plus 2 or 3 d-shackles. You need to get the ones that are rated -- don't go with the cheap ones...A chain also comes in handy for extending your winch line and wrapping around a rock if you need it.

I just bought tent cots from Cabella's. They are great -- but heavy. There are also some available from Kamprite? I think. Look at the Mojave Road thread. To my knowledge, those are the only two options.

Talk to GotRovr about sliders. He got some for his LR3 that protect the sills, as well as the "air bag/air compressor " under the truck, which is vulnerable to rock damage and would be pretty serious if you popped it. I am not familiar with LR3.

Do you have a hi-lift jack? That is another good accessory.

Also think about a receiver hitch that has a D-shackle on it as well...but the LR3 does have rear recovery points now that I think about it..

1) 4" wide are tree straps, 3" wide are static recovery straps. You'll need a couple of D shackles. Check out http://www.lrrforums.com/store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=249

2) & 4) Ask Gary (PCRover)

3) http://www.kamprite.com/pages/products

Hmm, the kamprite double is 20 lbs lighter than the Cabela double, supports 50 lbs more weight, and after buying the added rain cover (sold separately) it still costs $10 less. I think I'll be getting the Kamprite double very soon. Meanwhile, Tony, if you're out there, send me an email to my Yahoo address with price on the straps and the D rings, maybe on the already put together bag that has all the stuff in it. Thank you all for your advice so far.

Anyone has any experience with the Rasta 4X4 door protectors? Good, ok, junk?

4) The Rasta's are NOT sliders, they are sill protectors. There is a BIG difference. Those Rasta's will not be able to support the weight of the LR3 without getting damaged and possibly damaging the body. One big hit on a rock and they will take damage and possibly pass it through to the body. They are good to protect the sills against rock dings and tree limbs and such if that is what you are looking for.

Bottom line is decide what your need is, and then buy the appropriate product.

Need = Protection from casual off roading hazards. The Rasta's will do fine.

Need = Protection form large rocks, boulders, trees, tree stumps, and other serious hazards. Then you need real sliders like Rover Specialties/Off Roving sell.

FYI... If you want to keep the stock look, but still want real sliders, the Rover Specialties sliders are available without the nerf bars so they will not be very noticable.

Hey Luis,

In addition to the other post, here are mine:

1) I have used a variety of brand recovery straps: Pro-comp, Warn, etc.. and looking into purchasing ARB brand soon. ARB brand's 3'x30" seems to have a better quality build (will find out soon): http://www.arb.com.au/arb-recovery-straps.php

But they seem to be all good; never had one break on me! For one (FYI), I keep them out of sunlight (stored in a recovery bag) and away from heat.

After a use, I immediately spray the strap with a water hose to push out any dirt, mud, debris embedded in the tow strap fiber which over time can weaken it. And any sign cuts, frays or broken stiching; or several hard use, time for replacement!

2) Recovery "D" rings?

I have several Warn D-shackles, and some no-name brand from Osh Hardware; as long as you get them rated and get the rating for your application. LR3 at 6k - I would go for atleast 3 1/2 T or better yet 4T or 4 Ton rating!

3) Sleeping cots?

I bought the Kamp-rite single cot or "Original" model; used it last year during the Oregon trip, Mojave and few other trips..... You are ready to camp-in or camp-out in seconds!

Kamp-rite offers tent cots in steel (less expensive) or aluminum (lighter) frames! I ended up with steel due the discounted price ($60 plus tax I think it was clearance sale @ Big 5 last year). So far so good quality wise; I have not had any not been issue (no tear, no breaks or compromised on the frame after several use).

Buy the optional rainfly for $25 to keep moisture/rain out

And I use a self-inflating sleeping pad from REI inside the cot for better comfort, and when the temp drops, I use a sleeping bag inside the cot.

Edit: I just visited Kamp-rite's website: http://www.kamprite.com/pages/home; it doesn't look like the company offers the less expensive steel frame for the "Original" size cot I got last year. Have not checked Big 5 lately if they still carry Kamp-rite cots.

Also probably best to try it for size before buying; and if you are 5'8" ft or taller, you may want to get the "Oversize" version for more room. I find the "Original" size just right for me! Remember, you don't want to be pushed against the cot wall; want space!

4) Sliders?

Talk to PCRover re sliders for your LR3.

I've been thinking of getting Bill Burke's "Getting Un-Stuck" dvd. Looks like there are some good tips on recovery including using the Hi-Lift as a winch too. What's a good number of d-shackles to have? Currently I have 1 rated at 4 3/4 Ton, and was thinking of picking up at least 1 more.

You probably want one on the front hanging off your bumper, and another in the rear . Plus one in your recovery bag to use with your tree strap. Another nice thing to have is one of the pulleys, along with an extra tree strap to put it in place. So I would think 3 or 4 would do you...

Well, guess I'll buy the Kamprite double in the very near future. I already have a multy stage Gortex miliary issue sleeping bag, I'll buy an inflatable sleeping pad and be set on that issue.

I'll call Tony about the recovery bag with all the goodies already put together in it. I'll wait until I learn how and when to use a high lift before I consider buying one.

About the sliders, thanks for the feed back, Gary. I don't think I'll be putting the LR3 into a situation where I need heavy slider use on purpose (famous last words) even if I had heavy sliders, and this is why::rolleyes:

I have noticed that the rear bumper on the LR3 has a lot of over hang. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that any rock, tree, boulder large enough to require sliders to navigate mid vehicle with the LR3 would ultimately catch the rear bumper as the rear tire dismounts leaving body damage regardless. Does that sound about right or am I mis-judging the LR3's exit angle?

I think what I want is more of a ding protector for the ocational (hopefully rare) small miscalculation. But I will definitely look into the Rover Specialties sliders without the nurf bars before I decide. I would not mind having the full protection if the price is right.

Once again, thank you all for your posts sharing your experience which is invaluable to us newbies. I continue to look forward to your advice.

No, this is not correct at all. The only time I have dragged my rear bumper was at MOAB coming off a very steep shelf on Fins and Things. At Gold lake I was banging my sills constantly and almost never took a hit on the rear bumper. If there is a stump, rock, etc you must go over, it usually only a few feet in size so you are going over it one wheel at a time. In doing that you never put the rear in a sever angle to scrape the bumper. The sills are lower than the rear bumper and thus more vulnerable to hazards.

Sliders are expensive, but then remember you get what you pay for. Aluminum Sill protectors are better than nothing, but personally I don't see the value for the cost. If they were steel, i would have considered them. True sliders are a lot more, but you get way more protection for you dollar. Like I said earlier, decide your need and buy appropriately. I have always found that settling for something less than what I really want/need comes back to haunt me.

If Hollister is the norm for your off-roading, then I wouldn't even bother with sill protection. The Hollister dirt won't do much damage. If you plan on attending any of the Sierra trail runs with there granite boulders, you should consider the true sliders.

I have noticed that the rear bumper on the LR3 has a lot of over hang. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that any rock, tree, boulder large enough to require sliders to navigate mid vehicle with the LR3 would ultimately catch the rear bumper as the rear tire dismounts leaving body damage regardless. Does that sound about right or am I mis-judging the LR3's exit angle?

i think gary's right in asking about your norm for offroading. i'm pretty conservative when i'm out there, but that's largely due to 1) the wife screaming you're gonna eat it, followed closely by 2) the lack of protection. now i'm not headed for any rock crawling, but i've been in a few situations where my sills were about to go crunch. in fact, mars brought the RRS to a thump at the hollister rock quarry dislodging some of the door trim. minor misunderstanding between the spotter saying slow down and mars hitting the gas, but i digress. that's why i've got a set of rover specialties rock sliders on their way to cerrone's. woohoo!!!

I learned about sliders the hard way with my Freelander. I didn't have adequate protection and wound up denting the sill bad enough that it cost me $$$ when I traded it in. I put good sliders on the Disco and wound up cracking one of them pretty hard at Hollister. I figure without the slider I would have taken off the plastic sill and put a crease in the door. The cost of repair for that would probably have been more than the cost of the sliders so I figure the sliders are free at this point. :)

in fact, mars brought the RRS to a thump at the hollister rock quarry dislodging some of the door trim. minor misunderstanding between the spotter saying slow down and mars hitting the gas, but i digress.

he he he, I remember that. :D

Archived