Fordyce Creek July 27-31 2016

It's time for round two. The first Fordyce expedition failed to make the entire trail, and now we are back for more with more time allotted.

General Information:

Fordyce Creek is about twelve miles long, and arguably the most difficult trail in California. This trail includes large boulders, steep rocky hill climbs, and very deep water crossings with fast currents. If you are considering going on this trail for the first time, I would highly recommend going on the hike. Details for that are located here

Minimum Vehicle Requirements:

Minimum 3in lift

Minimum 33in Tires

Lockers Front and Rear (Tested for proper operation before the trip)

Winch suited to your vehicle (Tested for proper operation before the trip)

Rock sliders

HD Bumpers

SPARES, SPARES SPARES!!!!! Whatever you think you are going to break, bring a spare.

Here are some pictures shamelessly taken form Don last year to give everyone an idea of what to expect.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/07%20Land%20Rover%20LR3/Fordyce%207-15/20150721_133531_zpsoduauozj.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/07%20Land%20Rover%20LR3/Fordyce%207-15/20150721_202140_zpsy6rzcmsg.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/07%20Land%20Rover%20LR3/Fordyce%207-15/20150721_202441_zpscaxpxyr9.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/07%20Land%20Rover%20LR3/Fordyce%207-15/20150721_202501_zps60ihqube.jpg

No way. I'll stick to the overland trails until I get a dedicated trail rig. :)

What? You don't want to put those Tactical Rover sliders to the test? :P

I'll have to see how Pedram's sliders hold up. They are doing great so far, but I didn't bend my old ones until Fordyce...

Wish i could make it but just to busy for me at that time. Should be interesting with all the snow melt. 

Yeah, last year the water was low so no troubles (well, except the Jeep who got his ignition wet).  This year could be a whole different enchilada.  

Yeah, last year the water was low so no troubles (well, except the Jeep who got his ignition wet). This year could be a whole different enchilada.

That reminds me, I need to work on prepping the P38 for wading. I'm particularly worried about the BeCM under the pax seat.

I might be interested if the Disco makes an appearance this year. Not sure about lockers but I'll have the rest of that list checked off by then.  Maybe need some more side armor before I hit this trail. I can see some areas that might get rock blasted. 

Graeme is trying to get his own calendar made this coming year. 

That reminds me, I need to work on prepping the P38 for wading. I'm particularly worried about the BeCM under the pax seat.

Chad, I've been thinking of mine as well. A lot more things will kill that truck than just the ECM. There is the BCU, Transmission computer, fuse boxes... Need I go on? I was thinking about buying some Tupperware and silicon and making water resistant boxes for all of my computers. I just need to figure out where they all are...

I might be interested if the Disco makes an appearance this year. Not sure about lockers but I'll have the rest of that list checked off by then.  Maybe need some more side armor before I hit this trail. I can see some areas that might get rock blasted. 

Pedram, lockers are a necessity. There is no way you will make it through without lockers. I would say the requirements I put out are the absolute minimum. I still need to look at Winch Hills 2-5 to make sure they are even possible. Sierra Trek requires a minimum of 35" tires...

Pedram, lockers are a necessity. There is no way you will make it through without lockers. I would say the requirements I put out are the absolute minimum. I still need to look at Winch Hills 2-5 to make sure they are even possible. Sierra Trek requires a minimum of 35" tires...

Yeah I need some more cash flow. Maybe I'll take on some side projects to pick up my rover fund again.

Chad, I've been thinking of mine as well. A lot more things will kill that truck than just the ECM. There is the BCU, Transmission computer, fuse boxes... Need I go on? I was thinking about buying some Tupperware and silicon and making water resistant boxes for all of my computers. I just need to figure out where they all are...

My main concern is the BeCM - they're notorious for failing even in daily driving street scenarios and seem to have trouble at the slightest hint of anything out of the ordinary. And, they're expensive as hell to replace. The ECU, TCU, etc all seem to be slightly better protected and sealed. 

I have...ahem...experience with killing the XYZ switch as well, from taking our very first P38 through some 2ft deep puddles at 30+MPH several times in a row. Oops. Felt like I was in an Outback commercial at the time, though. :D

Then there are all the breathers that need to be extended and electrical connectors that need to be greased to protect from water. 

Wrenching day, anyone? :D

This locker might be an option for you. Seems to be a good value and they also come with bearings. I have a set for my P38 but I haven't installed them yet. I hope to have them in soon though.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tjm-168pl07/overview/

This locker might be an option for you. to be a good value and they also come with bearings. I have a set for my P38 but I haven't installed them yet. I hope to have them in soon though.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tjm-168pl07/overview/

I'm curious to see how it works out for you. I haven't heard of TJM, and wasn't aware they manufactured a locker.

Pedram, for the Rover diff I would go with the Ashcroft air locker. Stronger than an ARB. I currently run an ARB in the front, and Ashcroft in the rear. HD Ashcroft axles and CVs are going in right after the motor. Currently sitting in the back of the truck.

The design has been around for some time now. They are using this design http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/products.html 

There is not much information out there about them. They are a competitor to ARB in Australia. In Australia they cost more than an ARB locker. They tried to get into the the USA market. It didn't work out so they are being discounted until they are gone at summit. It's just a tax free with a free shipping option. But do your research on them first.

Also there is nothing wrong with the Ashcroft locker. I would love to have Ashcroft lockers instead of the ARB's in my series.

I thought they were a limited slip option but now that you mentioned air locker I would say that's a decent price for one. I'm not a fan of ARB's costumer service and some choices they have made in the past like the over priced fridge but I do like the lockers and some bumpers. I'll look into lockers. Air is always best but I was thinking in the lines of Detroit and true track.

Archived