Wrenching day @ British Recyclers, 5-30

AKA - Bushingfest part what-are-we-up-to-now?

Justin is ever so graciously allowing us the use of his shop with it's 2 lifts for some LR3 suspension wrenching.  My back can't thank him enough!

I'm planning to finally change out my front upper and lower control arm bushings to poly, and Anudeep is planning to replace his lower control arms.  I'm sure we can find some other fun to get into as well so long as we're there.  Surely there's some part you need for your rig that Justin has on-hand, right?

I'll plan to be there early on Saturday 5/30 to get started on mine as it will take longer than Anudeep's job.  I'll also bring up Colin/Brenton's press so we can enjoy the fun that is pushing bushings out.  One of us will need to bring a ball joint breaker as well.  They can be rented, but I may just buy one to have.

Anybody with an LR3/LR4 should be interested in this as lower control arms are a regular maintenance item on these trucks, so this will be a good time to learn something about the job.

Who's in?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I live on 160, or at least I can see it out my window.  

It's better than the freeway, levee road all the way up. You go through a few small towns but they're really small - like only a few blocks - then back to 55.  Isleton, the first town north of 12, used to be a serious speed trap but it seems OK now that their police force has been disbanded and they just have the sheriff running things.

There's only one stoplight on the whole road, at highway 12.  There are a few draw bridges but you're unlikely to find them open.  160 actually jumps back and forth to either side of the river north of Isleton but you can basically ride either side.  I can also direct you to a couple ferries near Rio Vista if you'd like.  And if you want an interesting stop in the afternoon, Foster's Big Horn is, well, interesting.   I'll let you do the google on that.

You won't find any great corners, and being the delta there are NO hills, but the scenery is OK.  At least better than I5 or I80.  

Think more Harley road than sport bike road.  In fact, we get a lot of Harley guys coming through town during the summer.  

BTW, if anybody has a really high-spec torque wrench that can handle 250+ ft lbs that would be nice - my biggest only goes to 150 which is pretty common for 1/2" drive stuff.  I do have a torque multiplier, but it's not really for precision work.

BTW, if anybody has a really high-spec torque wrench that can handle 250+ ft lbs that would be nice - my biggest only goes to 150 which is pretty common for 1/2" drive stuff. I do have a torque multiplier, but it's not really for precision work.

Pretty sure my snapon one goes to 250

Thanks Justin and Don for setting this up. I will prep my truck and parts needed for the job.

Don I can rent things from Autozone or someparts store. Let me know if we need anything. All excited to do this job, hope this goes smooth.

I think Jared and I are coming.  Checking calendar.

Yep, looks like this will work since we'll have one more weekend before Oregon Trail in between.  Sign us up!

I don't think I can make it to rc on 30th but am interested to see how easy the job is - on the YouTube video they have to cut the arm due to siezed bolt. It also looks like without lift and airtools , big hammer etc. It might be quite hard ?'perhaps that's just on rusty trucks from Denver and in California it is much better ? Are you planning alignment right after this ? Hope someone takes good pics ! Thanks - Martin

(I think I'm starting to hear a slight clunk from my front left arm)

Yes, an alignment is definitely in order after doing this.  With a CA truck I don't think you'll have to cut the bolts out but having a set on hand would be smart money if you have to drive it to work the next day.

So my wife changed our daughters birthday party from Sunday to Saturday. I may be able to swing by after the party gets out but not sure. Don if you want to borrow my torque wrench you are welcome to. I'm sure I can get it to you somehow. My place is on the way to Rancho

Nick, I'll take you up on that.  We'll work out the pick-up before I head up there.  I generally run the 'back way' up, taking Grant Line to Sunrise, but I could run 5 to 50 as well which should be closer to you (?)

Archived