Official Oregon Back Country Discovery 2015 Thread

My Disco4 is FIXED  and stationed at its rightful spot :)

Apparently some of the lines were originally not done correctly and that screwed up the whole set up.... I will know more when I pick it up later today.

Hey, I just drove past there today.  I'll have to see if she's still on display.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here are my highlight pics. Too lazy right now to upload to smug mug.

Crater Lake deepest in NA, 9th deepest in the world, holds the record for clarity at 143 feet, 6.1 miles across

post-621-143509946098_thumb.jpg

post-621-143509960977_thumb.jpg

Day 1 Team Kiddos on the move

post-621-143509962903_thumb.jpg

No explanation needed

post-621-143509967717_thumb.jpg

post-621-14350997208_thumb.jpg

post-621-143509973826_thumb.jpg

"Roughing It" watching the Warriors win.

post-621-14350997583_thumb.jpg

The wildlife was friendly

post-621-143509979633_thumb.jpg

Enrique and family making sure Lil Man celebrated his 4th birthday.

post-621-143509982062_thumb.jpg

Yeah, parents will understand this one.

https://vimeo.com/131600740

post-621-143509994882_thumb.jpg

post-621-143509996333_thumb.jpgpost-621-143509997679_thumb.jpgpost-621-143509999102_thumb.jpgpost-621-143510000083_thumb.jpgpost-621-143510001013_thumb.jpgpost-621-143510001771_thumb.jpgpost-621-143510003552_thumb.jpg

Back side of Mt Shasta which peaks above 14,000 feet. post-621-143510005023_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone who made this trip happen!!

Too lazy right now to upload to smug mug.

How sloth-like must one be to be 'too lazy' to upload to SmugMug?  :lol:

1. Get photos

2. Open Smugmug link

3. Dump photos

done

Chris gets the 'sloth-like' award for the day.

(nice pics, btw and glad you are still alive after coming home with 'The Black Scratch'...)  B)

"Black scratch", love it. Yeah I showed Kylie, she said "I know you will fix it" and walked away. So I don't think she is angry, she's not pleased but not angry. So i'll see what I can do.

And I'm on my phone. Too many pics to just hit select, share, Flickr so you got what you got

My Disco4 is FIXED and stationed at its rightful spot :)

Apparently some of the lines were originally not done correctly and that screwed up the whole set up.... I will know more when I pick it up later today.

Must have been a Friday afternoon in solihull ...

So the story about my air suspension is as follows.... The front air suspension valve block has three connectors going in to it. Two on the side next to eachother with black hoses and a connector in the center with a green hose. A "normal" person would assume (also as is shown in the previously issued LR diagram for disco3/4) that the connectors on the side (marked by the same color of the hose) are for the right and left front air spring while the connector in the center is an intake for air suspension (marked by a green hose).... Well someone had a pint too much at the factory while creating this valve block because for some unknown to me reason the side connectors are for RF air spring and an intake for the air compressor while the center connector (green hose) is for the LF air spring connector. Freaking madness!!! Apparently the original LR diagram for this valve block was wrong (as it assumed that a normal person created it) and later on had to be revised... Also the color of the hoses apparently means jack as they have been using various colors for different connections. LR Marin retraced all connections and connected my air suspension system correctly (btw - just looked at Green Oval instructions and they are also wrong...) Perks of LR ownership :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK then - that makes more sense as to why we couldn't properly raise the driver's side air spring with the Green Oval kit.  It felt like something was wrong, but what little we could see seemed like it was right.  I guess unless you physically check the tube runs you can't be sure!

OK then - that makes more sense as to why we couldn't properly raise the driver's side air spring with the Green Oval kit. It felt like something was wrong, but what little we could see seemed like it was right. I guess unless you physically check the tube runs you can't be sure!

Yep - when you instal it you actually probably should trace lines all the way through just to be sure. Easy with the air spring on the passenger side as it is just by the valve block but a much harder thing to do with the driver side as this one goes through the engine bay (at the bottom...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post trip DII inspection.

Michal referred to me as my leaky friend (oil). My respond next time, I am fine and how about yourself my leaky

friend (air suspension); of course fixed for now so he is full of air; just some fun trail trash talk between

DII vs LR3/LR4 :)

LT230: I found the suspect gear oil leak that sprung during the trip; appears to be from LT230 pan or

could be the front output seal; but not between the transmission and LT230 (which would be a lot more work

involved). Need a shop lift to make this easier to tackle; w/o one - made appt w/Colin @ CT Motorwerks next

week to have it looked at and re-sealed.

Radiator: same washboard trails that rattled the LT230 pan loose, appeared to have rattled loose the radiator;

sprung a lil leak; coming from the driver side top corner; from a screw that needs to be re-sealed, hose tightened,

and metal that clamps unto the plastic radiator pcs. I can tackle this DIY.

Throttle body: had it replaced 3 years ago, but appears evidence of coolant leak on the gasket of the throttle

body. Grrr! Ordered replacement so will be doing DIY.

Positive side: checked the flex coupler (I have a new spare), front and rear driveshaft u-joints (and checked for

loose bolts) appears to be fine and relatively dry (no leaks). Also front and rear diff, shocks, under the tranny,

engine, and axle/ball joints appear to be fine/no leaks.

Otherwise the DII ran fine, and no mechanical issues, didn't over heat or see the 3 Amigos :)

Finally, the DII gets a quick wash and wax after the trip!

post-410-0-47073800-1435452243_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-54963200-1435452855_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-76084300-1435453369_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-99255100-1435453386_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-22742300-1435453425_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-29534400-1435453459_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-01466400-1435453479_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-14167600-1435453557_thumb.jpg

My repairs are pretty limited. I lost my drivers side tail lights due to the wiring for my licence plate light getting pinched by the jerry can. Blew the fuse, but had a spare. Also had the passenger side power seat stop working when I pulled the radio out from under it on day one-also just a fuse. And I replaced a torn quick fist mount for my axe. Otherwise, just need to do some routine fluid and filter changes.

Guess what came in mail.

Stickers. Anyone interested, let me know. Two stickers for $8.50 to cover the cost including shipping; one for you and for your co-pilot,

or the other for back-up - we all know stickers wear out and only last till the next trip :)

You can order more via Cafepress Press for $5 each plus tax and shipping, but I ordered a batch (save about $1.50 ea)

and enough for 2 stickers for each of the 9 trucks who participated.

I can drop them off @ the next MORG, meetings, trip, or mail em... Let me know.

i''ll take a sticker, I'll get it from you on the LRNR trip.

Got a new tire and dont think it was air filter or MAF problem causing engine light to go on. I think it was the odometer hitting 115k mark to let me know its time for service,

Bought new filters and MAF cleaner anyway for LRNR trip

Rupert, did you get the CRC brand; here's how you clean it:

Can't Remember Chit? Yeah got that. Waiting for filters to arrive b4 cleaning MAF

BTW Did you you my PMs re: LRNR?

So how much do we contribute to the economy?

While cleaning the DII and putting away the gears & stuff, I took an inventory of what I brought to the trip.

Most were purchased awhile back. Here's a quick calculation (see picture) including items not shown (BajaRack

and Tepui Tent) and not counting the vehicle (DII) comes to about $3500.

Plus pre-trip maintenance about $1500 including four new BFG AT KO, fluid changes & filter (oil, air), and new

radiator & hoses, and other new replacements e.g. drive belt.

And then add the total cost of fuel for the trip 6/13-6/19/2015 comes to $406.73 or rounded-off to $400:

- Red Bluff 18.96 (g)gallons x 3.59 = $68.06

- Top off at Weed 7.31g x 3.76 = $27.48

- Bend fill + spare gas cans 22.78g x 3.29 = $ $74.94

- La Pine 20.8g x $3.25 = $67.6

- Weed 22g x $3.69 = $81.18

- Williams 16.24g x $3.77 = $61.22

- Home (top off) 7g x $3.75 = $26.25

Food and drinks for two people $300 and then $200 worth of spare parts including new flex coupler and u-joints.

Grand total $5900 (not counting expenses for my other LR vehicles, and other trips)

Then I see Chris with a nice Solar panel kit (Renology brand) on this trip. Amazon.com sells it for about $275 and

now I want one. Add it on the list and more dollars add up! :)

post-410-0-28248700-1435473100_thumb.jpg

Ok, I got the list of folks who want stickers.

Rupert, was swamped with work coming back from vacation so let me go-over the info and your PM re: LRNR; thanks for all

the planning. It's finally the wknd and now just catching-up including cleaning the DII, putting away gears from the

trip, and email blah blah blah.

Ron, you may want to consider bypassing the throttle body all together.

Disconnect the two hoses from the heater plate.

Stick the skinny hose from the expansion tank into the larger hose.

Secure with hose clamp.

Enjoy a leak free throttle body.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what came in mail.

Stickers. Anyone interested, let me know. Two stickers for $8.50 to cover the cost including shipping; one for you and for your co-pilot,

or the other for back-up - we all know stickers wear out and only last till the next trip :)

You can order more via Cafepress Press for $5 each plus tax and shipping, but I ordered a batch (save about $1.50 ea)

and enough for 2 stickers for each of the 9 trucks who participated.

I can drop them off @ the next MORG, meetings, trip, or mail em... Let me know.

I want two stickers please.  Can you mail?  I can send you the money via PayPal or give you cash when I see you next.

I want two stickers please.  Can you mail?  I can send you the money via PayPal or give you cash when I see you next.

You got it Erin and others.  2 stickers for you and Jared, 1 for Alyson, 1 for Rupert, 2 for Enrique & Alex, and 1 for Bear and 1 for me.  Total 8.

Wasn't happy with the visbility of the first order (clear) and returned them to Cafe Press. 

Cafe Press suggested putting them on the same 4mm vinyl water and UV resistant ink sticker but in white.  I just ordered 8 and will get them to all of you as soon as they come in the mail. 

Also instead of $5 per sticker; go some add'l discount and new price comes to $4 per sticker including tax and shipping. 

I just ordered 8.  i think it might be best to wait for the next batch of orders to get economy of scale.

Side note, I see your LR4 @ Land Rover Marin.   Nice!  Do you have a good relationship w/the general manager; do you think they might be interested in displaying my CT110.  No, not to sell or trade.  More for PR w/our club.  Let's chat.  

Archived