Red Rover Project #1: New Exhaust

erinw.rrc

Oh yeah great advice Nathan. Erin you should cover the muffler and cats. One thing I wished I could do on mine before it went back in. Lining up the holes will be a challenge. Exhaust systems tend to heat up and shape the car. So every thing you add later will be slightly off. Use some heat rap around the cats. That should keep the heat out if the cabin. I recently made my own heat shield for my muffler and now the cats are still warming my floors.

Can a Catalytic converter run "too hot"? E.g. wrapping it will keep the heat in the cat... good, bad, no issue? just curious...

TO

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pedram
I don't remember who I talked to but they said the cats run hotter when they are working correctly. So since my last set were bad and I really didn't feel their heat inside my truck I was good. But with these OEM replacements that say land rover on it run really hot. I know they are good because they passed smog way better than before. So that means in my case I need to do something with that heat. I can't see them causing more issue if covered. Or even with a heat shield over them.

Can a Catalytic converter run "too hot"? E.g. wrapping it will keep the heat in the cat... good, bad, no issue? just curious...

TO

Not sure... I didn't have exhaust wrap on hand and i'm pretty sure it didn't come from the factory with wrap (at least it's not listed as a step in the Range Rover workshop manual) so I will let the exhaust continue to be a floorboard heater. Never really noticed it in the past. I did make sure to apply the heat shield for the muffler, however.

-Jared

Related to this project, the two Lambda/O2 sensors I received in the exhaust kit were slightly longer than the original ones on the external length dimension. Just enough, in fact, to make the LH drivers' side not fit (the RH passenger side fit correctly, but driver's side crashes into the chassis.) I had to put the old one back in until I can find a better-fitting replacement. BTW, the old one barely clears as well (same as it did before I removed the y-pipe.)

Buyer beware if you get the kit from AB. They did say they would take the sensor back though...

-Jared

I'm not sure if you can get a cat 'too hot'. They generally want all the heat they can get, hence the placement as close to the manifold as possible. That said, I don't think I'd want to wrap them. Better to make a simple heat shield to fit between them and the floorpan I would think.

I've run header wrap on cars before, but never really liked it. It seemed to lead to further issues with cracked headers and difficulty accessing header bolts that always want to back off anyway.

I watched the video of the truck, but I call shenanigans. There must be some photoshop going on - there's no black spots on the drive under the truck!

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't had the opportunity to actually drive the Red Rover because of all of the suspension work -- after finishing we took it to dinner last night to road test. I noticed a weird popping sound coming from the muffler that sits just past the LH driver's side. Below is a video of the noise and you can see the vibration. You'll note in the video that if I lightly push on the muffler, the loudness is reduced considerably.

Muffler "popping" noise

I haven't correlated exactly what conditions make it happen; it's more frequent when sitting at idle, especially if the engine has not been running long.

It seems to disappear once the exhaust system gets sufficiently hot.

-Jared

Wow - I'm late to the game. My first thought was baffle as well!

That kind of sucks. Who did you get the exhaust from?

Atlantic British. Well that's frustrating... I suppose the only solution is another muffler. Ugh. Guess I'll call them on Monday.

-Jared

Atlantic British. Well that's frustrating... I suppose the only solution is another muffler. Ugh. Guess I'll call them on Monday.

-Jared

I feel your pain and fustration Jared. I ordered a Coolant Hose And Thermostat Kit from them for the P38 after the White Rock trip and many of the hoses that came with the kit are not the right hoses. I am about to send them a not very friendly email as this is the second time they have done this. I won't buy any more kits from them a one of part maybe but no kits.

A few years ago, when a had my previous P38, I ordered the coil conversion kit from them, the way they packed the Kit got pedram and I all mixed up. We assumed they knew what they were doing. They put the hardware for the front with the real coils and the other way around. They did the same with the shocks. To make story short, we ended up having the front coils in the back and the rear in the front. We needed to redo the job all over again. Not Fun!

Anyway, over all my experience with AB has not been that great. I try to avoid buying parts from them. I either go to Rovers north or get the part#s from AB and find the part else where.

Good luck in getting you muffler issue sort out.

I feel your pain and fustration Jared. I ordered a Coolant Hose And Thermostat Kit from them for the P38 after the White Rock trip and many of the hoses that came with the kit are not the right hoses. I am about to send them a not very friendly email as this is the second time they have done this. I won't buy any more kits from them a one of part maybe but no kits.

A few years ago, when a had my previous P38, I ordered the coil conversion kit from them, the way they packed the Kit got pedram and I all mixed up. We assumed they knew what they were doing. They put the hardware for the front with the real coils and the other way around. They did the same with the shocks. To make story short, we ended up having the front coils in the back and the rear in the front. We needed to redo the job all over again. Not Fun!

Anyway, over all my experience with AB has not been that great. I try to avoid buying parts from them. I either go to Rovers north or get the part#s from AB and find the part else where.

Good luck in getting you muffler issue sort out.

Thanks Antonio. Agreed, I haven't been super pleased with their stuff either. I think the people there are nice and helpful, but the kits are rubbish. I got their brake kit (which comes with the brakes, rotors, pins and hub seals) which I expected to be all genuine Land Rover parts; I did a quick check and saw that the F and R pads were genuine, but it turns out that the rotors were aftermarket (didn't notice until they arrived). You have to go into the kit by line item and check all of the parts to ensure you're getting what you want.

It's time to order suspension bushings and I'm going to go through Lucky 8 for it.

As for the muffler noise, I haven't heard it again since we took the truck out to Hollister; maybe I hit a rock and dented the baffle into place? ::amuse::

Archived