Red Rover Project #1: New Exhaust

erinw.rrc

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We haven't had the opportunity to actually drive the Red Rover because of all of the suspension work -- after finishing we took it to dinner last night to road test. I noticed a weird popping sound coming from the muffler that sits just past the LH driver's side. Below is a video of the noise and you can see the vibration. You'll note in the video that if I lightly push on the muffler, the loudness is reduced considerably.

Muffler "popping" noise

I haven't correlated exactly what conditions make it happen; it's more frequent when sitting at idle, especially if the engine has not been running long.

It seems to disappear once the exhaust system gets sufficiently hot.

-Jared

UPDATE: I've run the engine a couple of times since I took it out to Hollister (no noise there either) & haven't heard the noise since I originally posted this. Question: is it likely to come back if it is a loose baffle or do they sometimes 'fix' themselves?

-Jared

A loose baffle would mean a weld that was broken or never welded down good in the first place on the inside of the muffler. It's possible that the exhaust pressure finally pushed it into a position where it won't rattle. The question is will it stay that way. Hard to say. It's not 'fixed', so it could come back. I guess the question is 'do you feel lucky'? Or maybe, 'how tired are you of messing with the exhaust?'.

The right thing would be to replace it. But it's a PITA since you have to remove it, ship it back, wait on them to send the new one, then re-install. As you know, if it does fail again it's not going to disable the truck, it's just going to be annoying. So it's not a critical component in that regard.

A loose baffle would mean a weld that was broken or never welded down good in the first place on the inside of the muffler. It's possible that the exhaust pressure finally pushed it into a position where it won't rattle. The question is will it stay that way. Hard to say. It's not 'fixed', so it could come back. I guess the question is 'do you feel lucky'? Or maybe, 'how tired are you of messing with the exhaust?'.

The right thing would be to replace it. But it's a PITA since you have to remove it, ship it back, wait on them to send the new one, then re-install. As you know, if it does fail again it's not going to disable the truck, it's just going to be annoying. So it's not a critical component in that regard.

Ya, you're saying what I figured, Don. I'm mainly wanting to be done with it, but it's probably best to just get it replaced. Guess I'll call AB tomorrow morning.

-Jared

Archived